Japan's XY11: 'Explosive Fighter / Cruel Traitor', CP5: 'Mythical / Legendary Dream Holo Collection'

Game_Loss

Aspiring Trainer
Oh I understand how Dual types are treated in the card game before this.
This is probably the first time where a Pokemon that would take 0 Damage in the games, and now would take DOUBLE the damage, cause the TCG sucks at translating that kind of thinking over.

Like, imagine how baffling it is. This guy takes ZERO, Zich Damage from Water attacks in the games. Somehow, he is weak to water HERE cause Fire is suppose to be weak to water cause.... TCG Logic.

Taking zero damage from a whole archetype like Greninja would not be good for the game. However, pokemon seems to be neglecting the "resistance" space, so they could have included like a -20 Water resistance there as an homage to the games.

qrorohill

formerly known as TFP
Okay the symbols that overlap the border are indeed bad, but I actually like the card layout like this.

RealSlim

Dragons Breeder
Guys, don't forget that Blacksmith (Flashfire) will rotate in august after Worlds, and this awesome Volcanion-EX will be included in august's set... so, the ability is pretty powerful, yes, but it will never can take advantage of Blacksmith (in Standard).

Chrswrites

Aspiring Trainer
This is amazing news!
The only disappointing thing is how they designed dual typing this time around... The way they did it back in the ex-era it was perfect!

WastedSkyPirate

Mega Salamence, where art thou?

mega_salamence_by_dragonith-d7u8egu.png

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah, I was going to comment on the card layout but many people already said it... This is just lazy. They should have done it like the Delta Species dual-types. This looks worse than a fake card.

Also, this is really bugging me. So, they make Volcanion a dual-type, which makes him hit more pokémon for weakness than single-types but then turn him into a bench sitter?? Cause that attack is awful...
Not to mention, it can only work with other Fire-types as a Water-type deck has no benefit in using Volcanion unless you're willing to add fire energy to your water-deck just to hit Grass types for weakness.
Speaking of benefits, that weakness is not only dumb but also doesn't help at all the fact most other Fire-types already have Water weakness...

In conclusion, very poor execution... But I suppose there's going to be more dual-types so maybe they can take more advantage of the dual-type mechanic...

I have a funny feeling that M Gardevoir-EX might be part Dark-type. I know this makes no sense within the context of the video games, but the vibe from this set - 'Cruel Traitor', a seemingly evil M Gardevoir-EX who happens to be shiny - is making me think...

It's funny, a few weeks ago, I started thinking the same thing... The movie features some type of corrupted Mega evolution, kinda like Dark Pokémon in the TCG... So maybe Mega Gardevoir and others will be part-Dark instead of one of their natural types...

Ms Hugo

Aspiring Trainer
Nice little new mechanic, simple but adds some decent flair. No pun intended.

Decent buff for Fire-types too, if you stack your hand with energy. Turns Fisherman into a Giovanni's Scheme on steroids.

CESit

Aspiring Trainer
I just want to say I miss the old way they used to make the symbols for dual type cards. Metal/whatever and Dark/whatever's symbols just looked really nice on a card and didn't take up as much awkward space as the fire/water symbol looks like it takes. The art for those older dual type symbols was just better

Materious17

Pokemon Geologist
In response to all of the negativity towards the new design, I just want to clarify some things and try to explain some of the design choices. I've heard people call this a cheap photoshop work, lazy and uninspired and that they did it so much better with the /Dark and the /Metal dual type cards in days yonder. You are welcome to feel that way, the old dual type cards do look really cool with the combined symbol and the faded mixed colors.

I feel like this execution is perfect. For one, its clear. It shows the most clear terms, without the need of an extra text box to explain what the card means, that it is both fire and water type. This is useful for the younger audience, and even older players that got into the game after 2007.

Now, the diagonal line was done in a very specific way. Lets treat the cards in 2 halves, a top and bottom half. For the top half, the diagonal line crosses directly in between the overlapped type symbol, separating fire and water in a subtle way that doesn't impact the artwork too much. For the bottom half, the diagonal line divides the card in to equal halves, with the top-left portion of the bottom of the card being fire, and the bottom-right portion being for water. This is also reflected in the artwork with the fire and water splash effects, and then in the top portion of the card, both the fire and water melt into steam, which is Volcanion's main mechanic. If you treat this diagonal line as such, the reasons for why it is oriented, and you begin to understand why it is actually the perfect dividing line, again to make it as clear as possible that it is a dual type Pokemon.

On to the overlap with the border which I have to say, whatever. For EX's everything overlaps the border already, so having the energy symbol do it now is just allowing for more room. If they make dual-type cards that aren't EX's, where there is more room for the HP and type symbol without having to place around the artwork (or more commonly, the artwork drawn around the text) we may or may not see that overlap with the border.

Lastly, the old combined type symbols were cool looking, but there was only 16 of them at a time to make and worry about, since every type was either combined with dark or metal. So they only had to make type symbols that combined Grass/Dark, Fire/Dark, Water/Dark etc... The new dual type mechanic removes that restriction on the /Dark and /Metal, in this case we see a Fire/Water type. This opens up the possibility of Psychic/Fairy, Water/Grass, Water/Electric, Dragon/Psychic etc. The sheer amount of different combinations makes combining the symbols way more work than necessary, only to end up confusing a lot of people if they see a fire symbol in a blue circle or a Psychic symbol in a pink circle. As well as the confusion that would arise from combining the different colors on the main body of the card. The subtlety of those combinations make it really difficult to understand on a quick glance, what the card actually is trying to accomplish with its dual types, and as in the older cards, actually required a text box to explain that the card was both Fire and Dark, or Water and Metal etc.

Is it easy for you to understand with a blended design? Sure, I bet you had no problems what so ever, but that isn't the case for many players, and Pokemon as a ever-growing game that has to appeal to all ages, and be clear enough for new players to pick up right away, these design choices seem perfect for doing that.

iwantcandy2

Aspiring Trainer
Dark wouldn't help against Fairy at all. Fairy resists Dark. A Dark/Dragon Hydreigon would be an even worse uphill battle against Fairy. However, the point with Kingdra sticks, and I agree with the spirit of your post. This could make for some really cool effects. Give me a Steel/Grass Scizor EX or maybe a Dragon/Fighting Tyrantrum. Hey Fighting/Psychic M Mewtwo while you're at it ya know?

D'Oh. Sorry, you're right, I get Psychic and Fairy confused because they both look like the same color to me.

Victor Freitas

Aspiring Trainer
Oh, dual-types! Finally. It's the first time I get to see those because I got to the game at the beginning of the XY era.

The artwork is cool and the card itself is definitely playable. Not sure about that diagonal line, though. Looks kinda strange, as well as the water symbol overlapping with the border (but I agree a combined symbol could look confusing). Anyway, I hope they do that with other Pokemon, not just for ultra rares. I'd be cool with around 5~10% of the set's pokemon getting this mechanic.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
First off I have to say, Volcanion EX should have been weak to electric, not fire. That's just wrong. That's like making it weak to grass even though Volcanion is half fire type.

Second off, I wonder if this is going to be just for EX's or if we could see it in other Pokmeon. Could we see a fighting/steel Aggron line? How about a grass/steel Scizor? I think it would be nice to see dual weakness and dual resistances on some of these things, it would add some variety to the game without being overblown. I think.

The template seems okay, it'll be easier to judge when I hold the card for myself though I think.

Finally, let's not forget that we had a Jirachi and a Metagross that were dual steel/psychic in Hidden Legends.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
Not surprised to see dual-types return. As far as older "mechanics" go, it's one of the most obvious ones that could have.

As for Gardevoir... Nah, I expect it to be purely Psychic to further differentiate it from the Gardevoir EX line we already have.

NinjaBem

Aspiring Trainer
Cool. I love the artwork. Dual types will be interesting since I started after the first TCG dual types. I like the artwork but the symbols for the types just look lame IMO. They could have made one symbol but made it the fire energy with a blue background or something like that. It's ability is very nice and could definitely see play. I'm also really looking forward to the secret rare and full art version of this card.

I hope that they only have 3 - 7 or so of dual types in each set because I don't want to have half the cards being dual types (which I highly doubt would happen anyways). They probably will only keep it limited mostly to EX's and probably only a few normal cards.

dinobluntz

Aspiring Trainer
I really like the idea. However, I feel as if the design could be a bit better. Not a huge fan of the diagonal cross section that cuts off each type, and the energy symbols just side by side just seem very lazy to me. I'm curious to see if this is the final version or if some tweaking will be done.