Japan's XY11: 'Explosive Fighter / Cruel Traitor', CP5: 'Mythical / Legendary Dream Holo Collection'

Oh my god, that blank is so lazy. Not even a fade effect on the textures, using both symbols instead of a cool new dual type symbol... That's it, image fakers are actually better at card making than PCL.

Oh my god, that blank is so lazy. Not even a fade effect on the textures, using both symbols instead of a cool new dual type symbol... That's it, image fakers are actually better at card making than PCL.

I totally agree with this actually. I like the card itself (ability and attack) but that diagonal color segregation looks so 'bleh'.

What happened to the dual types that looked like this?

180px-DarkGyaradosEXTeamRocketReturns36.jpg

I need to build a Torchic (Primal Clash with Omega Barrage) deck with this!
Would love to see this little fellow defeat some giant ex pokemon with only 1 fire energy attached... (I think trick coin would be needed )

Could we see a psychic type mega gardy? That would be ridic. Fairy costs, just different type.... Probably not. But hey, I can speculate lolololll

Well this volcanion will definitely steam roll other fire decks like flareon ex and entei coz they are weak to water and it is a dual type. With 220 hp with the FFB it will be pretty hard to take this guy down and can reach 170 with its own for ability discarding a fire energy for scorched earth or black smith. Can see its own deck or even a tech for those 2 archtypes, too bad it only works on basic pokemon so delphox break, ho-oh break, talon flame or even mega houndoom can't benefit from it. There are so many pokemon basic abilities in the meta right now, might see a shift back to silent labs.
I do like the volcanion artwork but I just wish the split across was not so obvious, I love the delta species cards and glad they are bringing that mechanic back into the game. It will be intresting to see these volcanion's counter each other in the mirror :p I hope the full art looks amazing but will have to wait another month probably till all the cards are released in Japan. Glad fire is getting more boosts in attackers like fighting got in fate's collide.
I think that volcanion should be weak to lighting or fighting since it's ability is water absorb...

Last edited:
For a dual type, this is SERIOUSLY lousy. Not even a cool symbol? Really Pokemon? Then there's that ugly random split down the middle. It's like they are TRYING to tick me off.

I love this to no end. I am slightly annoyed that it has 3 retreat cost, but it's a significant boost to entei charizard, my favorite deck of the current format. This is a one-of replacing Giovanni's scheme for sure.

Looks excellent, but when will TCG learn to stop with these abilities that only benefit basic pokemon?... it seems so backwards. I appreciate they worked themselves into a corner with the eeveelutions that turn stage 1s into fire/water/electric though

Also hilarious- get 3 volcanion discards and omega barrage torchic with a trick coin can hit for 220 for 1 energy :D

Jokes aside this is a very strong standalone card since the ability should(?) affect itself. I feel like one of the nicest things about this pokemon is that its ability to ramp up its own attack means it can justifiably run FF Belt or Float Stone and not feel lacking damage at all (2 volc abilities + float stone is still 190 dmg + can retreat next turn :0). This guy feels way better than Charizard EX in a Char/Entei deck too

The only thing I would change is the diagonal divider. At the bottom there is a nice gradual change between fire and water. But it is not really that much noticed because the card overall looks really good.

Looks like the HP number has become narrow to accommodate both type symbols. They've really tried squeezing that in that small portion of the card.

Rowlett 2nd stage evolution to be Grass and Flying in TCG? I think flying should be introduced with light grey background, and curved lines (metal cards have straight diagonal lines)

I would really love to see a lightning weakness on this card as well to balance it. Also the stackable ability seems a bit overpowered considering the support fire has. This thing could come clutch so I could see 1 energy decks coming out soon because of this. Cant wait to see what happens with this with how aggressive the game is now.

Rowlet 2nd stage evolution to be Grass and Flying in TCG? I think flying should be introduced with light grey background, and curved lines (metal cards have straight diagonal lines)

I to hope flying gets its own typing as well in the tcg. Would be good for me.

I wish they'd given this a fire-type resistance...
I think the Full Art will mitigate the diagonal line issue some people have on this card.
And, the ancient trait Torchic ideas are great!
PS: Steel/Fairy Magearna (EX) maybe?

I love the idea of bringing Dual type back. What I love even more is that even though Volcanion is Fire/Water, his attack only uses one kind of energy. That means he is more versatile. I've always hated the way Weakness and Resistance played out in the card games, because if you were playing a Grass deck against a Fire deck, it was an uphill battle all the way, but making a deck with several different Types is just not feasible when it comes to Energy. However, if they made Dual Type Pokemon, but made them predominately only use on kind of Energy, then it is easier to build a balanced deck. Like, oh, I'm building a Dragon deck. I'll include this Dragon/Dark Hydregion so I stand a chance against Fairy. And, oh, Fire is good right now in the Meta, so I will also use a Kingdra so I have that ability to use the Water-advantage. It opens up a lot of strategy.

Not to mention how the symbols overlap and shift onto the border. A very novice move by the creators. :/

I love the idea of bringing Dual type back. What I love even more is that even though Volcanion is Fire/Water, his attack only uses one kind of energy. That means he is more versatile. I've always hated the way Weakness and Resistance played out in the card games, because if you were playing a Grass deck against a Fire deck, it was an uphill battle all the way, but making a deck with several different Types is just not feasible when it comes to Energy. However, if they made Dual Type Pokemon, but made them predominately only use on kind of Energy, then it is easier to build a balanced deck. Like, oh, I'm building a Dragon deck. I'll include this Dragon/Dark Hydregion so I stand a chance against Fairy. And, oh, Fire is good right now in the Meta, so I will also use a Kingdra so I have that ability to use the Water-advantage. It opens up a lot of strategy.

Dark wouldn't help against Fairy at all. Fairy resists Dark. A Dark/Dragon Hydreigon would be an even worse uphill battle against Fairy. However, the point with Kingdra sticks, and I agree with the spirit of your post. This could make for some really cool effects. Give me a Steel/Grass Scizor EX or maybe a Dragon/Fighting Tyrantrum. Hey Fighting/Psychic M Mewtwo while you're at it ya know?

The mechanic of dual-type pokemon are awesome. But the way the designed the card is awful.
Just a diagonal line to separate the types is a really lazy solution.

Yay for dual-types! Not sure how I feel about this execution, though. Volcaneon looks fine, but I feeling M Gardevoir is going to look a mess. If it's dual-type as well (and I have no reason to believe it won't be), then we'll have a card that's half purple, half pink, with a pokemon that is majorly black with blue "hair" in the card art. Sounds like a damn mess.

I do wish they had brought back the integrated design like the delta-kingdra up there, but alas. Hopefully they'll smooth out the designs of the cards by the next set.

Back