Japan's XY11: 'Explosive Fighter / Cruel Traitor', CP5: 'Mythical / Legendary Dream Holo Collection'

Forget about the Karen, I have been waiting FOREVERRRRRR for Salamence and M-Salamence EX to come out. I just wish that they change it's attack down to 3 energy when they bring it to America. Now I'm waiting for M-Garchomp EX.

What about Delphox Break?

It is effectively a Stage 3 Pokémon. Best case scenario you get one into play Turn 2 by getting a Fennekin into play Turn 1, having it survive to your second turn, then you Rare Candy into Delphox and finally Wally into Delphox BREAK. Now you want to add in setting up a Mega Evolution as well. ;) Remember stuff like Blastoise with Deluge was dead until Archie's Ace in the Hole revived it for Expanded play.

This is literally my favorite part about this card: The effect it will have on this meta coincides with the quote quite well. I mean, the Night Marchers and Vespiquen Vileplume probably are not played by many people because they are their favorite Pokemon... Right?

I do not mean to sound cruel, but your premise is quite flawed. Why do I say this? How many decks are are played in competitive tournaments because they are that person's favorite Pokémon? Not "favorite competitive", but favorite overall? Doesn't make much sense, does it? Even going with "favorite competitive"... actually yeah, some of those are my current favorites. Isn't it ironic that two Evolving Basics and one Evolve Stage 1 are being touted as "powerful Pokémon" with regards to Karen's quote when Karen (the card) is ultimately going to result in more people playing blatantly powerful (and often expensive) Pokémon, instead of weak Pokémon using combos to act powerful?

Considering how dominant NM and Vespiquen decks are, I think it's worth having at least one in your deck.
I think it's a case of "lesser of two evils": it's not the ideal, but NM got way too dominant in the metagame. It was already very good, then it got even better with Puzzle of Time.
For most people the best solution would be ban Battle Compressor, but I don't like this idea either; it would affect lots of decks, especially Fire, Dark and the ones with Archie/Maxie engines. I don't think that would be fair.

Now, because of both the benefits against the Vespiquen/Vileplume match up on top of the benefits of recycling your own Pokémon with a card VS Seeker can re-use, I do agree a single Karen is probably a loose staple.

I have to point out that the dominance of Night March is greatly exaggerated.

Night March decks are heavily played for more than just their strength. The more a deck is played, the better its odds of winning events, all other things being equal (or at least close enough ;) ). Yes during the State Championships Night March was the deck with the most wins. Without knowing how much it was played by people compared to other decks, we don't know if that is more, less, or about what it deserved. As apart from the Shaymin-EX (ROS) you need from other decks, Night March is relatively inexpensive, I suspect it is played more than decks that require more of an investment.

If the State Championship results I am seeing over at The Charizard Lounge are correct, then while Night March made the Top 8 about 30% of the time, Yveltal-EX decks, Trevenant BREAK decks, and Seismitoad-EX/Crushing Hammers each placed about 10% of the time. Vespiquen/Vileplume and Greninja BREAK decks managed about 8%. Night March isn't invincible; even if you're not running a deck tailored to beat it, so long as you are running a competitive deck (a fair requirement since we are talking about tournament play) you should have a decent chance of beating it. The decks that are hopeless against Night March? They aren't doing so well again the 34% of decks that take away either you Items, your Energy, your Abilities, or some combination of those three. I am much more tired of playing solitaire than I am of dealing with a strong weenie rush. In Expanded, based on what little I've seen out of the Regional Championships (so I could be very wrong), Night March is competitive but hardly dominant; remember those percentages I just gave for the State Championships? Now Night March has a little under 7%.

Karen is an entirely new card, so the "lesser of two evils" argument is as hollow and damaging as it has been for almost two decades in United States Presidential Elections. ;) I fear it is too off topic to discuss what might have been done, but feel free to start a new thread or PM elsewhere if you (or anyone else) would like some very simple ideas I had on the matter. One idea in an existing thread was something similar to Karen, but it wasn't one I liked (just given as a minimal change for Lysandre's Trump Card). I believe Karen could still cause problems; Pokémon has shown a tendency to throw caution to the wind with these kind of things. It just takes a deck where recycling Pokémon becomes vital. I would have called it silly a decade ago, but I'd say the odds are even right now.

Karren could be a great supporter to go alongside the new shiny Mega Gardevoir that discards Pokémon to do extra damage still, if anyone's trying to build that.

When it hits the states, 100% using Karen in my Colorless M Rayquaza-EX deck. Especially considering a good portion of my local meta plays Parallel City. It's a much better Sacred Ash that you can use even if there is an item lock in place.

I can't wait to see the Full arts in this set, I hope Karen will a Full art card version too! :D
I never thought we would see her in a XY set. Anyone else?

I can't wait to see the Full arts in this set, I hope Karen will a Full art card version too! :D
I never thought we would see her in a XY set. Anyone else?

She isn't in an XY set, she is a promo card to be given out during Japan’s Night Battle tournament later this summer. She will most likely not be getting a full art as she isn't a part of 'Explosive Fighter/Cruel Traitor'.

Give it a few months, Pokemon will complain it takes away a lose condition and kill Karen...Pokemon just likes that stupid Night March too much. It's like, OMG, KILL IT ALREADY! Let's get some actual strategy in here now.

DIE NIGHT MARCH! Now if only we had a team flare hyper gear that negated the added effects of attacks (*cough cough seismitoad cough cough*)

Give it a few months, Pokemon will complain it takes away a lose condition and kill Karen...Pokemon just likes that stupid Night March too much. It's like, OMG, KILL IT ALREADY! Let's get some actual strategy in here now.
I believe this will not, unless a person runs an only pokemon deck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trump card completely removed a loss condition. That's a little bit much to hard counter one deck. Karen is how trump card should've been printed.

Well actually NM has a strategy and a really good one. I'm not sure what you were getting at when you said to get something with a strategy. But either way the strategy that needs some nerfing is by far item lock. It's near impossible to break that without spending your supporter just so you can use a few items and then have to struggle next turn again

Really want Karen. Take it instead of super rod or sacred ash for something like serperior or any deck that has a way to recover energy from discard. Cheap insurance imo. Phantom forces has lots of awesome cards besides nm hope it stays. They can reprint blacksmith anytime though, but judging from the energy acceleration released and upcoming for fire. . . Seems unlikely.

Are you saying Lysandre's Trump Card wasn't broken?

I can understand someone not seeing the risk before hand, but after the fact it should have been completely obvious; we didn't even get just a single reason for its banning but a list. Karen really does carry a risk, though it is much, much lower. I don't want Karen to be released. Do I run Night March? Yes. Do I run it all the time? No. Compared to most other competitive decks I face, Night March is easier to defeat. Except perhaps the variant with Archeops to lock down Evolutions. That would be because, get this; there are decks that hit just as hard as Night March but are way harder to take Prizes against. There are decks that also lock down at least one key resource: sometimes more than one, sometimes first turn of the game, and sometimes with a strong offensive as well. Even though I actually love lock decks, I can't bring myself to run them because I am playing Pokémon as a two-player game, not solitaire.

Trump card completely removed a loss condition. That's a little bit much to hard counter one deck. Karen is how trump card should've been printed.

Nope. Karen is still too broad and sweeping. Safer? Quite, but not safe. A hard counter to Night March while only keeping up the usual level of power creep is as simple as taking the recycling cards we were used to since roughly the time Supporters were introduced, bringing them back (not sure why they left) but allowing them to target either player's discard pile. So something like Town Volunteers (could shuffle up to five Pokémon/Basic Energy cards from discard pile to deck), and giving it a successor that let you shuffle a combination of up to five Pokémon/Basic Energy cards selected from either or both player's discard piles. Still provides a buffer against decks like Night March, doesn't create massively long games like Lysandre's Trump Card did.

DIE NIGHT MARCH! Now if only we had a team flare hyper gear that negated the added effects of attacks (*cough cough seismitoad cough cough*)

So you want to make Seismitoad-EX stronger? Because you realize that Seismitoad-EX doesn't have to worry about Items, and every Team Flare Hyper Gear card we have received so far has been an Item. In fact, I think all have been Items that are put into play: Robo Substitute or the Pokémon Tool F cards.

This would make a great pair with the new Talonflame BREAK that they revealed. You can practically have a turn 2 150 attack, something most decks can't come to terms with. You'd have to have a pretty interesting draw engine/deck setup to make it work, but it could be nice.

EDIT: Looking back over the card, it's only attack practically guarantees turn 2 setup. Really liking this card.

that is a pretty nice ability putting 30 damage on the board each turn for free simliar to greninja XY but you have to discard an energy from the hand, this can only hit ex pokemon and if they play rough seas its pretty much negated. Love the art work, not sure if it would be better then the crobat line.

Back