Japan's XY11: 'Explosive Fighter / Cruel Traitor', CP5: 'Mythical / Legendary Dream Holo Collection'

Karen is even worse of a nightmare for Night March than Lysandre's Trumph Card. All the Battle Compressors, Ultra Balls and Trainers' Mail would stay behind. But this counter is so incredible specific I'm not sure if I feel comfortable putting it in my decklists :/

Considering how dominant NM and Vespiquen decks are, I think it's worth having at least one in your deck.

Karen I have mixed feelings on. I feel that is too hard a counter for Night March and related decks. I've never been a fan of such hard counters without some kind of cost. I'm glad it exist because I hate Night March but this is another example of bad card design.

The Night March player can't do anything about this card being played against them and no one deserves to lose to a single card drop, no matter how toxic the deck is.

I think it's a case of "lesser of two evils": it's not the ideal, but NM got way too dominant in the metagame. It was already very good, then it got even better with Puzzle of Time.
For most people the best solution would be ban Battle Compressor, but I don't like this idea either; it would affect lots of decks, especially Fire, Dark and the ones with Archie/Maxie engines. I don't think that would be fair.

The new Volcanion can be used along side Reshiram to start building up 2 Salamance in the early turns and it run on a single fire energy
You cannot use volcanion's abliity with mega salamence because it only works on basic fire types.

I can see M salamence getting some competative play with double dragon energy, it is like a better mega rayquaza because you are not forced to play shrine of memories to knock out 30 hp joltiks. The option to use mega turbo's and reshiram discarding 2 energy for 180 and 3 energy for 220 is a very strong atk. On top of that it has 230 hp...many things will be barely able to 2 hit knock out this thing now that night march is gone. We will be free!

Rip night march and Flareon/vespiquen. Karen is a errata trump card so you do not get your battle compressors back it only took 11 sets but I hope Karen gets a full art. No need to play sacred ash or super rod in decks anymore and mill decks are well is really hurt by this too because its a recovery card for all their pokemon which means more possible attacks. I always knew LTC would get an errata ever since it got banned and would come back to the format it only took 11 sets for pokemon to get it right xD

Now if only it had Omega Barrage ...
Barrier you mean.

Anyways, I think the printing of Karen is hinting at the return of Night March/Battle Compressor outside of Japan. Yes! Karen then Quaking Punch. Bye bye.

For most people the best solution would be ban Battle Compressor, but I don't like this idea either; it would affect lots of decks, especially Fire, Dark and the ones with Archie/Maxie engines. I don't think that would be fair.
Finally. We need more people like you. Battle Compressor isn't the problem. Karen is an Arceus-send.

Karen has nice art, I like the Umbreon... but why couldn't it have been Zinnia?! She'd go perfectly with Mega Salamence. :( :(

RIP Night March, who died alongside vespi/plume (correct me if I'm wrong) when they released Karen... Thank you! And Curse You!

Beautiful art on the mega salamence! And savage wing lol :p
Could be slightly playable if paired with entei AO.
And really TPCi? Stop making all these counters just for specific decks some people don't like. I don't play night march, but still. Not that Karen will actually see play, because I don't think she will.
Don't judge a card before it is in the format as we all thought LTC was never going to see play but when shaymin ex came out 2 sets later it got band.
Karren will probably see at least a 1 of as it replaces sacred ash and super rod. But what is the point of battle compressing this supporter against item lock if you can't vs seeker for it? Salamence is one of the strongest megas we have seen in a while next to coloress mega rayquaza can see it in a few different decks.

Finally. We need more people like you. Battle Compressor isn't the problem. Karen is an Arceus-send.

Plus it's always good to see Johto characters getting some love ;)

Return of Lysandre's Trump Card.
Guess what?
That one's gonna be banned, too.

Probably not. It makes decking out slower but it doesn't outright removes this condition.

But what is the point of battle compressing this supporter against item lock if you can't vs seeker for it?

If you're referring to the vespi/plume matchup yeah, it seems harder to pull off, but if you go first there's still a chance of battle compressing it and picking it with a Vs Seeker right away. It's very unlikely that a vespi/plume deck is going to play N or Judge anyway.

"Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." - Karen

"Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." - Karen

This is literally my favorite part about this card: The effect it will have on this meta coincides with the quote quite well. I mean, the Night Marchers and Vespiquen Vileplume probably are not played by many people because they are their favorite Pokemon... Right?

There are a few decks that it could empower, though: Bats, Sky Field-Based teams, and Heavy Stage 1-2 lines. Shuffling all of those back with a reusable supporter can be a very nice benefit, and I've been waiting a long time for a supporter in this format to do that.

Aha, I'm so pumped about Karen. Even better if that reprint set goes international, with all of it's Night Marching and whatnot.

(I wish they'd start printing "their" instead of "his or her". It's less of a nightmare to type and it's more inclusive. But I digress.)

All this talk about how great Karen is (which it is, actually), but only one person (besides me) has mentioned the seemingly missing Salamence EX. How's M Salamence EX going to get into play... Maybe they're saving the regular EX for later spoilers :p.

Back