TCG Fakes Jabberwock's Image Fakes: Plasma Garchomp!

Is anyone else annoyed that in Generations, all they reprinted from the Classic era was Slowpoke? I am.

wqzXjjQ.png
xz5w2uW.png
AFBMtmt.png

Haven't tried my hand at BW faking (outside of FA's) in a long time, so any critique would be much appreciated. ^.^

Is the font size a bit too small? For some reason it looks off to me. Otherwise, you may want to reprint the cards but put them in the XY or BW power range. This is particularly noticeable in Gyarados, which has a ton of Energy cost on it with little effect, and combined with a darker art, it looks a little bare.

Or I've just been staring at cards waaaay too much today and my mind is just messed up completely. xD

Font sizes should be accurate; they're the same as what I used for FTR/POI. 28pt for the name; 24pt for attack names; 16pt for effect text.

I wouldn't mind upping the power levels a bit, but I'm not sure I want to include an attack effect on Gyarados where there wasn't one in the days of yore. :p

Yeah, that's probably just my eyes then. Though, it looks like you did a bit of template jumping, as it appears from those [R] Energy that are tucked underneath your [W] Energy. :U

Yeah, I'm not sure. Adding effects would be a bit opposite to your objective.

Yeah, that's probably just my eyes then. Though, it looks like you did a bit of template jumping, as it appears from those [R] Energy that are tucked underneath your [W] Energy. :U
Whoa, nice catch. :O Fixed:

B0F24q2.png

Last edited:
Not sure why I felt like making this. I haven't done a Mega since June's CaC, so it's about time for a return.

xZB7mJ2.png

It's a sluggish pace, I know, but it is a pace. I haven't forgotten about this. :p

C6pNZNd.png

Not sure why I felt like making this. I haven't done a Mega since June's CaC, so it's about time for a return.

xZB7mJ2.png

I probably wouldn't say this is your best piece, unfortunately. I'd argue that it'd look better without the Japanese text, to be honest. Though, how on Earth to do them... I'm gonna get stuck with that myself. x.x;

Also, the effects seems a little bare. You could probably brighten the one's you've got there too, for extra ferocity.

Last edited:
It's a sluggish pace, I know, but it is a pace. I haven't forgotten about this. :p

C6pNZNd.png

Nice art and very creative effects! Love the attack names. However, I think you used the 4x Energy/Ability alignment for the attack names. They're too much to the right side of the card for my taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot all about that. >_> I'm way too used to making cards with Abilities, apparently. :p

3ScC4k5.png

Last edited:
The text is really annoying to do, and I think it was a mistake for me to try to do it in gold. The gradient text seems to turn out much better.

I'm not sure the effects are that desaturated. I can see the fire around the border pretty clearly.

Also, NOTICE: The Spectral Relics thread has been merged into this one. The OP of this thread is now identical to the one formerly of Spectral Relics, and includes all the cards from that set.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the effects are that desaturated. I can see the fire around the border pretty clearly.
I guess it's just that it feels a bit plain for a Mega-EX, then.

Oh, by the way, does Photoshop have Clip Masks? I have one that you may like to use that means things like "retreat" aren't covered.

I guess it's just that it feels a bit plain for a Mega-EX, then.

Oh, by the way, does Photoshop have Clip Masks? I have one that you may like to use that means things like "retreat" aren't covered.
I did just realize that the solid-color wave effect things aren't on mine. I'll edit those in sometime this weekend.

I can pull the "retreat" text from a .psd file and just insert it over the effect; I'll edit that in as well. But thanks. :)

You should fiddle with blending modes to make the Trapinch less saturated and perhaps fiddle with blurring + opacity filters to remove the fuzz. ;)

I, on the other hand, suggest more saturation; color balancing a pokemon card isn't an easy task; you need the art to draw attention over the rest of the content and not be overpowered by it; as talented as steffenka's drawings are, they're pencil-colored and photographed (I believe?), which gives them a somewhat muted quality for the exposure and amount of paper you see behind the penciling, which isn't so good when you're using them as a small part of a much brighter composition.

I could be wrong about this, since I never had to do this particular thing before, but perhaps copying the layer on top of itself and playing with the blending modes and tone/saturation could help you make the drawing more vibrant; the colors themselves are a fine combination already, yellow, orange, brown and orange, so your only problem is how muted they look.

Spiritomb looks perfect, color-wise; look at how the illustration pops out and your eyes are drawn to it; that was an excellent choice.
But, could it be that "Possession" is in a smaller size font than "Invisible Punch"? it looks that way to me, but not enough to be certain.

Oh, yeah, that. More saturation.

I've fiddled with steffenka's drawings for my set and find some combination of Screen and Overlay (50%, 75%; 35%, 50% depending) will generally fix up the colours.

Or if it is a really bright Surskit: Soft Light, Overlay, Screen, Multiply (45%, 70%, 50%, 50%).

l9vYjAA.png

^That should fix the art. Just used Overlay 50%; Screen makes it look waaaaay too bright. Thanks for the help, bb and Light! :)

But, could it be that "Possession" is in a smaller size font than "Invisible Punch"? it looks that way to me, but not enough to be certain.
They're the same size. No idea why Possession would look smaller. o.o

You're most welcome; I gave it a try myself, since it seemed a useful thing to know how to fix beyond guessing, if you're interested:

jtWZxOj.png

If I recall correctly, I copied the illustration alone, fiddled a little with the contrast (Brightness/Contrast), moved the midpoint in Curves a little bit, then I copied it over with Lighten at 34% and fiddled a little in that layer with Tone/Saturation, moving cyan, green and blue to 0 brightness and moving slightly the yellow to red; I also used Replace Color, but that didn't work very well. The coloring of the image was too spotty to do much, really; all blending modes either oversaturated the drawing, or made it washed out and lighter.

Back