TCG Fakes Jabberwock's Image Fakes: Plasma Garchomp!

81ZZPET.png

oPbIse2.png

Nerfed Lucario a bit, since @bbninjas brought to my attention a while ago that Armor Buster was a little overpowered. :p

I must admit, I'm more than a little surprised to see that they turned Ralts into Frogadier. I'm not exactly thrilled about it.

Horrible news aside, I like the attack's effect; it has a lot of potential to make pokemon immune to select types.

And that's the downside to using Greninja as a font guide. >_>

Mp4YMCr.png

Kirla's Ability is probably a bit powerful if you consider the Ability of Zoroark. Maybe nerf it so your opponent can choose or something?

Oh, that's true. It was designed as a throwback to Gardevoir LV.X, but LV.X powers probably shouldn't go on Stage 1's. :p

kjHa0YU.png

I'm not sure if you would want to limit the potential on your {Teleportation} ability. Given that it's a Stage 1 Pokémon, there's already somewhat of a challenge putting it together. Being able to get out more than 1 of them on the bench should enable you to use each of their abilities at least once per turn. It opens up more interactivity so that your design isn't overly restricted. Overbearing restrictions are what ruin the potential of a card when it hits the board.

I think the restrictions of only being able to use it once per turn letting your opponent choose the Pokémon and is definitely enough. This would be a somewhat interesting card then, something along the same lines as {Dynamotor} Eeletrik decks. Possibly even, your opponent shouldn't be able to choose which Pokémon switches out either. That kind of invalidates the nature of a conscious evasive move like Teleporting. When you're going to teleport somewhere, you know what you're doing, and you want to be the one solely in control of that movement. Letting your opponent control your teleporting doesn't make much sense. Do you see what I mean?

If you wanted to make it really interesting, you could have it switch out your Active for Kirlia or then your Active Kirlia for 1 of your Benched Pokémon. That way, a single Kirlia acts something like {Rush In} Keldeo—while multiple ones enable that plus Float Stone. Very neat ability that could enable some neat tricks if you develop around it.

[Shadow Eclipse] is really neat, but could probably cost 1 less energy. Three energy is kind of pushing it—even with Dimension Valley. The ability is a bit narrow, and even for 1 energy it's only going to see so much use (despite how good it will be when it does see use).

I'm not sure if you would want to limit the potential on your {Teleportation} ability. Given that it's a Stage 1 Pokémon, there's already somewhat of a challenge putting it together. Being able to get out more than 1 of them on the bench should enable you to use each of their abilities at least once per turn. It opens up more interactivity so that your design isn't overly restricted. Overbearing restrictions are what ruin the potential of a card when it hits the board.

I think the restrictions of only being able to use it once per turn letting your opponent choose the Pokémon and is definitely enough. This would be a somewhat interesting card then, something along the same lines as {Dynamotor} Eeletrik decks. Possibly even, your opponent shouldn't be able to choose which Pokémon switches out either. That kind of invalidates the nature of a conscious evasive move like Teleporting. When you're going to teleport somewhere, you know what you're doing, and you want to be the one solely in control of that movement. Letting your opponent control your teleporting doesn't make much sense. Do you see what I mean?

If you wanted to make it really interesting, you could have it switch out your Active for Kirlia or then your Active Kirlia for 1 of your Benched Pokémon. That way, a single Kirlia acts something like {Rush In} Keldeo—while multiple ones enable that plus Float Stone. Very neat ability that could enable some neat tricks if you develop around it.

Actually, I don't think there's much of a challenge at all in setting up a Stage 1 line. There are a huge number of ways to get the Pokémon you want into your hand when you want it.

Take Gardevoir LV.X, for example––the card this one is a throwback to. Ridiculously hard to set up, as you had to have a Stage 2 Pokémon Active in order to do so. Having that power on a Stage 1 is probably pushing it a bit. Special Conditions and all other lingering effects suddenly become irrelevant––all you have to do is tech a 1-1, maybe 2-2 Kirlia line. That's not really the sort of power I'd like to have in this set.

[Shadow Eclipse] is really neat, but could probably cost 1 less energy. Three energy is kind of pushing it—even with Dimension Valley. The ability is a bit narrow, and even for 1 energy it's only going to see so much use (despite how good it will be when it does see use).

I see your point, but it is just a Kirlia. The middle stage of an evolution line only ever sees so much use when you can so easily Rare Candy over it. I'd expect to see maybe one Kirlia set up a game, just so you can take advantage of Teleportation, but the attack's definitely no more than a niche use.

Just wait 'till Gardevoir, though. That'll be fun. :p

Tis nice to see WinchFall blanks doing the rounds :D
Someone at TPCi needs to realize that their blank designers need to get better. That, or they could just fire them and hire asche. The Winchfall ones are my new favorite blanks. :D

A wild EX appeared!

4wqn0Pn.png

tgk did the spoiler. Thanks, tgk! :)

Thoughts would be appreciated. I think it came out rather well; certainly better than Charizard, but I'd love to hear critique. :)

Especially from you, @bbninjas. :p

Last edited:
I like it a lot; I particularly like the little touch of making the "EX" holographic, which combined with the cleaner feel of the blanks and the lack of that awful furious yellow border, make the card very balanced, color-wise. All I would add is, perhaps, a "clawing" trail coinciding with his hand, in the same style than the magenta floating things. And is it normal that the pokemon-getting-out-of-the-frame goes beneath the ability box? I feel like it gives off an odd spatial perception of the layout.

I like it a lot; I particularly like the little touch of making the "EX" holographic, which combined with the cleaner feel of the blanks and the lack of that awful furious yellow border, make the card very balanced, color-wise.
Well, the holographic EX symbol is what asche selected to go with the blanks on the symbolsheet, so I can't take credit for that. :p

All I would add is, perhaps, a "clawing" trail coinciding with his hand, in the same style than the magenta floating things.
At your suggestion, I tried adding a trail, and it just didn't seem to work with the rest of the image. I think in the wallpaper, Zoroark's not so much slashing as he is putting a hand out before him, from which the magenta things are erupting, so there wouldn't really be any motion to show a trail for.

And is it normal that the pokemon-getting-out-of-the-frame goes beneath the ability box? I feel like it gives off an odd spatial perception of the layout.
I had to choose here to either cut out the hind legs entirely or leave them going below the ability text. I don't like cutting out too much of the Pokémon, though, and after looking at it both ways, I opted to keep them there.

It's unusual, but not unheard of. Ninetales-EX (Generations) and M Sceptile EX (AOR) both have the image of the Pokémon going below the Ability/attack name, and recently PCL has become much more bold in putting effects under text, with such cards as the colorless Rayquaza-EX (ROS), which has a huge chunk of matter on the bottom right of the card that makes the last word of Dragon Pulse very difficult to read.

That said, however, here's an alternate version:
MqLutgO.png
Which do you prefer? I'm open to changing the card on the setlist.

Well, the holographic EX symbol is what asche selected to go with the blanks on the symbolsheet, so I can't take credit for that. :p

At your suggestion, I tried adding a trail, and it just didn't seem to work with the rest of the image. I think in the wallpaper, Zoroark's not so much slashing as he is putting a hand out before him, from which the magenta things are erupting, so there wouldn't really be any motion to show a trail for.

I had to choose here to either cut out the hind legs entirely or leave them going below the ability text. I don't like cutting out too much of the Pokémon, though, and after looking at it both ways, I opted to keep them there.

It's unusual, but not unheard of. Ninetales-EX (Generations) and M Sceptile EX (AOR) both have the image of the Pokémon going below the Ability/attack name, and recently PCL has become much more bold in putting effects under text, with such cards as the colorless Rayquaza-EX (ROS), which has a huge chunk of matter on the bottom right of the card that makes the last word of Dragon Pulse very difficult to read.

That said, however, here's an alternate version:
MqLutgO.png
Which do you prefer? I'm open to changing the card on the setlist.

Well, you still have good taste if you chose it, right?

Okay, if you tried it; it just seemed too static, a common issue renders can have.

I was more talking about the front hand, actually, but I do think that keeping at least part of the pokemon inside the frame and part outside helps a lot to give the illustration dynamism, volume and spatial dimension (as you will see as soon as I find a way to make Delphox cute), so keeping the legs inside the card is perfect.
Keep in mind, though, that a necessity for that is to make sure that no part of the pokemon obscures anything mechanic-related that can't be reasonably inferred (in this case, for example, a small part of the "Ability" sign, with which you shouldn't have any problem because it's obvious what it is).

Critique not applicable because Asche + others have already used that art for Zoroark-EXs

Very nice, this one is! I really like Illusion and feel like that could be a balanced form of Ability locker. Aesthetically, I feel like the art may be a bit too dark (i.e. not vibrant enough) (referring to the pink/purple things), but otherwise it looks nice! I personally don't like the type of holosheet over the EX, but that's just my preference. ^.^

Also, I agree with Light in that the legs probably should be inside the box not outside.

The first non-EX Ultra Rare of the set! :D

Modified a WinchFall blank slightly for this; hope you don't mind, asche. :)

Text by @thegrovylekid.

XckjcPn.png

EDIT: Also made an alternate version with a different holosheet, at @bbninjas's suggestion.

J2UfRfB.png

Last edited:
Is Magic Wand a little high in power? I can sorta see a whole bunch of disruptive one-offs being used right when you want them the least. I also think you can get a devolution cycle with it, which is funny. xD

Is Magic Wand a little high in power? I can sorta see a whole bunch of disruptive one-offs being used right when you want them the least. I also think you can get a devolution cycle with it, which is funny. xD
No idea tbh. I don't think it's that bad, though. Which Item cards specifically might make it overpowered?

No idea tbh. I don't think it's that bad, though. Which Item cards specifically might make it overpowered?
Eh, probably hammers and maybe Battle Compressor. Not too sure though, I'm just a little cautious on this one. :p

Back