Is there more to the Metagame than Archetype'd Decks?

Usually Tier 1 decks perform best but rogue decks can be powerful as well if they're built well. I beat TDK with a Crobat deck so anything's possible!

Pokewiz1999 said:
Usually Tier 1 decks perform best but rogue decks can be powerful as well if they're built well. I beat TDK with a Crobat deck so anything's possible!

It's because the meta now also relies a lot on luck. To really say your claim, you have to consistently beat the TDK with your Crobat deck and even then, can you beat the other three? If your "unique" deck can't beat at least three of the four, you might as well scrap the idea.

Riskbreakers said:
Pokewiz1999 said:

It's because the meta now also relies a lot on luck. To really say your claim, you have to consistently beat the TDK with your Crobat deck and even then, can you beat the other three? If your "unique" deck can't beat at least three of the four, you might as well scrap the idea.

Lol, problem with me is I can't beat anyone with ANY deck for that matter. But yea, Unless you're able to do well against most of the decks out there, why even use it? For fun, yea, I know, but still, a lot of people only play to win. Myself being an exception, although it'd be nice if I did win for once, other than my opponents scooping.

Riskbreakers said:
Pokewiz1999 said:

I played Crobat until Nats so I never battled VirGen and I don't think I battled Darkrai/Garbodor. I barely beat the deck but I'm just saying that rogue decks can beat meta decks.

You could always try Vanguard, where I heard any deck can beat any deck because of it's high luck factor.

Huh. Well, is there a difference between the meta game and just competitive play? I know that at Nationals, yeah, meta game decks are going to sweep, but does everyone use meta game decks?

Frost Mage said:
Huh. Well, is there a difference between the meta game and just competitive play? I know that at Nationals, yeah, meta game decks are going to sweep, but does everyone use meta game decks?

Not everyone. I know tons of people who run rogue decks, although those decks need some tuning up.
Rogue decks are a little bit harder for others to make, as you have to make your own strategy then.

venasour x said:
You could always try Vanguard, where I heard any deck can beat any deck because of it's high luck factor.

That's an illusion. All card games have inherent luck factor, doesn't make it any different from Pokemon, MTG or YGO. THe difference is that there are more ways in Vanguard to come back from a bad situation compared to Pokemon where early game dominance usually establishes the win.

I use to play Flygon, Dusknoir, Celebi Ex, Landorus Ex, and I lost all the time, mostly because I had no catchers, but when I won, IT FELT GOOOOD.

now I play plasmaKlang which like any deck I grow tired of, but It had less satisfying wins but their was more of them.

I say play whatever the hell you want, ust as long as its not just completly dumb like the theme decks, those aren't fun.

My poor mans Samurott/Darmanitan/White Kyruem deck was not fun, but then a I realized that the reason I quit all those years ago is because I never gave the game a chance, so I ponied up, slowly got all the cards I like and made a strategy, now I love it.

I agree that stale metagames are boring, Pokemon showdown's hackmons tier for instance is beyond oversaturated with Spiritomb/sableye teams. I typically analyze the current dominating decks/teams and search for the best way to take them apart in a game. It works pretty well.

Back