Is the Pokemon TCG Dead?

What are the prices to run leagues in your area? It could be the cost depending on the prices where you live. If costs are high that would be hard to get people to join a league and keep their membership. When times are tough it is hard to keep any membership to anything.:)

I live in Scotland and the community isn't so much small as it is concentrated. There are only 3 official leagues that I'm aware of and they're all in or around Glasgow or Edinburgh. I was at the Phantom Forces prerelease in Stirling which was pretty well attended (maybe 15 people) but I seem to be the only "competitive" player north of that. I have over an hours drive to find a place that plays Pokemon at all and longer if I want an actual league.

I think part of the problem seems to be that League support seems to be pretty abysmal here. Like I say, I don't run or attend a league myself (yet), but from what I hear from Facebook and talking to people it sounds like an uphill struggle to get any league supplies from The Pokemon Company and starting a new league takes like a year since it all has to be funnelled through the one guy in the country that can deal with TPCi directly.

If you're ever in the south east by the coast drop me a PM. There is a fairly large league where I live and I am always up for a game or two

Here in Brazil Pokémon tcg is very far from dying. There is a league near my house that recieves like 15-25 ppl every saturday cities here have a good number of ppl at least 30(i dont play cities, but my friend does). At least here in Rio de Janeiro and in São Paulo its not dying, in other states i dont have an idea. Proof of that is that Brazil often gets players doing well in seniors(same doesnt happen in másters btw, i think that last brazilian top 32 was in 2012, but it isnt that bad anyway), Gustavo Wada that was already the Champion of seniors, and this friend of mine was top 16 last year and top 32 in 2013.

well I know that there is city championships next week in Wakefield on the 17th and that there is a pre release for the primal clash set on the 31st of this month (obvs) at the university and unity works so I can expect to see some more tcg players at the pre release seeing as there arnt a lot that go to the leagues so im hoping that there will be more in the sheffiled uni pre release and there about 40 players the last time I checked for cities so tack your pick

xxashxx said:
What are the prices to run leagues in your area? It could be the cost depending on the prices where you live. If costs are high that would be hard to get people to join a league and keep their membership. When times are tough it is hard to keep any membership to anything.:)

I don't know how much it cost the store to run the league but it's free to participate.

Majestic_night said:
Well you need to be at least 18 from what I got from the website cost no clue

You need to be at least 18 to run a League, you may participate at any age. :)

Scratch what I said before about the scene dying in New England. Compared to when I was playing in 2007-2010 the scene is HUGE. Checked the rankings and there are 75 masters in MA. Can't wait to go to my first City back and see old and new faces!

well I just checked the facebook page for the 2015 wakefield city championships the people in attendance is like 46 across the age divisions so its picking up for major events but the leagues just get around 3-4 people in the UK probably more in major cities such as London

This game is definitely picking up more. I would only be concerned if they began selling products with WAY more value, like they do in Japan. (NOTE: That's due to competitiveness of trading card games in that area, but you get my point.)

All those saying the TCG is pretty dead in the UK, the league I attend host Wakefield Cities and Regionals, which both attract a large number of players from across West Yorkshire. Pre-releases normally have no less than 60 people and last season's Regionals had over 120 people involved, either competing or just helping out.

Majestic_night said:
well I just checked the facebook page for the 2015 wakefield city championships the people in attendance is like 46 across the age divisions so its picking up for major events but the leagues just get around 3-4 people in the UK probably more in major cities such as London

Regionals for Wakefield normally has a very big turnout. Went last season (as a member of Team Wakefield TCG) and it was great. Hopefully see you there in March?

I had the same question recently and had wondered. I remember being a kid in elementary school when pokemon became huge but them it seemingly completely died a few years later. Worried about that happening again!

well at the city championships today there were 56 people as far as I was aware of its just not dead as we all think it is trust me after losing a ton of times it made me wonder

I can say that, at least in the Central America region, the game is growing like foam.

In the League I attend/co-run, we had like 4-5 players top per week, and 8 for our sanctioned tournaments. However, lately, we've had an attendance of 24 people in the first 3 weeks of the Rustboro Season (yes, we're a bit behind, deal with it. :p ), and a chance of even more coming.

I'm glad I'm a part of this community that's growing more and more with time, and hopefully we can get Premiere Events and seats at Worlds soon!

I actually brought 3 friends to the comic shop that hosts tournaments. We went to the pre release of primal clash, and I can say Pokemon TCG is actually growing. I just try to keep going every so often for tournaments and spread the news about it.

I'm in the uk but i don't play the game to b honest, i just collect the cards. i mean the fact the retail price £3.50 (2.80 online) a pack makes it kind of expensive to play the game to be honest.

Like i said i just buy the singles off chaos cards or ebay.

Over in my area in the UK, there are three big leagues, that I know of, that all act like a big family together in the West Midlands. Lots and lots of people attend the events that are put out there for people to join. A shop, called Oasis, also runs nearby pre-releases but I'm not sure if they run the league anymore.

Cites has just happened in Sutton Coldfield and there were thousands of people that attended just by looking at the photos...

If you live out in the boondox or rural areas there will not have leagues most likely due to the fact that not many people actually start a league. Your best bet is go to an area where there is more population. It depends on population. That is why some areas don't have a league.:)

Back