Is the Pokemon TCG Dead?

Where are you at? You may have multiple leagues in one area dividing the population of players, or you could be in a dead zone.

As strange as it seems, I find that the more you play the TCG, the more you'll realize that the fanbase is FAR from dead. When I started playing, the only person I knew that played the TCG was a friend from my library that used to collect during the DP era. As time has gone on, I've found a lot more people that play the TCG. Just earlier this month, I was checking out at Walgreens, purchasing PHF Booster Packs on their BOGO deal, and a teenager behind me in line asked me if I had seen any of the scans of Gaia Volcano and Tidal Storm.

GadgetJax said:
As strange as it seems, I find that the more you play the TCG, the more you'll realize that the fanbase is FAR from dead. When I started playing, the only person I knew that played the TCG was a friend from my library that used to collect during the DP era. As time has gone on, I've found a lot more people that play the TCG. Just earlier this month, I was checking out at Walgreens, purchasing PHF Booster Packs on their BOGO deal, and a teenager behind me in line asked me if I had seen any of the scans of Gaia Volcano and Tidal Storm.

Agreed with this. It certainly died in my age group at school, like only me and my friend played it in the whole school, and not even competitively, although a few of my church friends do, I found out recently. I did ask about the cards at EB Games (probably like Gamestop), and they said they're not getting enough buyers so they've taken them out. Then I found a weekly tourny with a decent amount of people for the half-city I'm in.

In America the game actually appears to be growing. With increased prize support and the required CP to make worlds lowered a lot of old players are coming back to the game.

This is also one of the best format in recent years. It is diverse, balance, and doesn't have 1 deck that is a definite best. I wouldn't say this is my favorite format because I haven't been that active because of school, and Hearthstone has happened, but this is definitely great. Every set a new contender comes in to the ring, and that is what I love about this game.

I don't think the game is dying, it's just not always feasible to find active leagues in every location. In Colorado I don't see too many players around Aurora though a few show up at a local comic/card place here sometimes. Have no clue about other locations in Colorado. I'm just glad I really only collect so it's not such a big deal for me.

Mr.Muffin said:
This is also one of the best format in recent years. It is diverse, balance, and doesn't have 1 deck that is a definite best. I wouldn't say this is my favorite format because I haven't been that active because of school, and Hearthstone has happened, but this is definitely great. Every set a new contender comes in to the ring, and that is what I love about this game.

Agreed! Two of which are low budget decks.

I'm not sure about it dying, i see it selling in the small amount of stores that carry them.
But i only know 2 people in real life that play it.

I think the Pokémon TCG is far off from dying. In fact, the fanbase seems to be growing now more than in a while! As mentioned earlier in the thread, the game is more diverse than in recent years, with many new and interesting things to play with. Some may say that "Pokémon is just another big money game" but compared to TCGs like Magic the Gathering or Yugioh, it really isn't. One of the top decks in the game (Donphan) can be built for roughly just over $100.

If you find that there isn't many players in your area, advertise. I've said it before and I will say it again. Advertising works when it comes to Pokémon Leagues. My League had a dry period almost two years ago. We thought we were done for, and we were getting ready to prepare for the worst and move on. We handed out many business cards, flyers and papers as well as spreading info through word of mouth in large populated public areas. Then it happened. There was a magnificent boom of players, quite a few of which played competitive! Most of those players are still with us today and many are still joining. The game is far from dead. It is growing. Advertise!

I think, at least where I live, the Pokemon community is big and growing bigger. I'm not old enough to host my own league, but the one I go to has at least thirty players each week. Some are adults, some middle-school aged, and some younger kids. There is a big fanbase, and lots of poke-people. Lots of people are players, but are casual.

yump.gif

Last year in my old middle school I only knew of me and a couple other people in a different grade that played TCG. My cousin says he has a Pokemon TCG club at his middle school though. I guess I'm just around that age group that is mostly too cool to play Pokemon and everyone stopped, because the TCG is not dead with 30+ people showing up at our League each weekend.

When I was in 6th grade in 2000-2001 Pokemon was very popular at school, kids would play during lunch. Then the next year Yu-gi-oh was the most popular.

Well I also go to the leagues and compition in Sheffield they are kinda falling through the cracks a little bit try being 1 of two players at the league and all they ever do is sit on a laptop the whole time joy

Majestic_night said:
Well I also go to the leagues and compition in Sheffield they are kinda falling through the cracks a little bit try being 1 of two players at the league and all they ever do is sit on a laptop the whole time joy

Is that Patriot Games or Pokesoc?

I go to the one at the university of Sheffield students union but I do try and go to patriot games pre releases I went to the Furious Fists one ended up with a FA Heracross EX and a half art Lucario EX why which one do you go to

Majestic_night said:
I go to the one at the university of Sheffield students union but I do try and go to patriot games pre releases I went to the Furious Fists one ended up with a FA Heracross EX and a half art Lucario EX why which one do you go to

That's Pokesoc. Neither of them seem to want to run the League Challenge which isn't helping.

Back