Is Pokémon No Longer Respected as a Card Game?

Wailady said:
Pokemon cards are still big sellers. I highly doubt they compare to late 90s/early 2000s sales, but everytime a new booster comes out and I go to my local Taget or Wal-Mart to pick up some, they're nearly sold out each time. I also tend to get really crappy cards until they're restocked and my pulls improve greatly, so I believe people are possibly weighing them and leaving the likely bad packs for me (^__^) the same day they hit shelves.

It sounds to me like an employee is doing it. It's not easy to weigh packs in store without SOMEONE seeing you, although they may not even realize what the person is doing, it's definitely possible but why would you keep buying from there? Theres nothing worse than buying 10 or more packs and getting complete garbage, and you can't say for sure that it's weighed due to the "sense of adventure" Well I just love that sense so much I figured I could get that sense while selling my entire collection as opposed to adding to it to only feel ripped off 3/4 of the time.

At my local walmart, and other nearby stores, people weigh packs. I wont buy individual packs unless they have been very recently restocked.

Binx345 said:
At my local walmart, and other nearby stores, people weigh packs. I wont buy individual packs unless they have been very recently restocked.

Yes I don't mean to say people can't weigh packs but the fact that it's always like that the day they come out sounds very sketchy.

See, here in the UK. It's not even a thing, no one does it. It's just not one of those things. I think it's just America and Canadians. So many dishonest people, I hate it when I heard of people trying to tell me why it's good to weigh packs. I would say if you buy a box, weigh them and keep the crap packs for your own sealed collection that's fine, but when people sell them. All packs are usually at or behind the till here, so you can't.

TheTPCProductionz said:
Well obviously the Yu-gi-oh crowd has had some bad press as of late,

KETV NewsWatch 7 said:
Police: Man possibly wearing Darth Vader hoodie robs comic store

OMAHA, Neb. —Police are investigating a Monday morning robbery at an Omaha comics and game shop.

Authorities were called for a report that a man, possibly wearing a Darth Vader hoodie, displayed a weapon and demanded merchandise from the Dragon's Lair Comics near 83rd and Blondo streets around 9:30 a.m.

Owner Bob Gellner said the robber held a clerk up at knifepoint for box sets of Yu-Gi-Oh cards.

"There were a few Yu-Gi-Oh cards taken. Retail value would be around $150," said Gellner.

Gellner and his employees were open for business by early Monday afternoon.

No one was injured during the robbery. Police do not have a suspect at this time.

In terms of Pokemon Organized Play relating to this topic, I read on the Gym's forums with someone saying that due to Nintendo's recent financial problems in the past 3 years along with their founder passing away this resulted in Nintendo having to make huge budget cuts in an effort to keep their company profitable which possibly laid a huge burden on Pokemon Organized Play where they have to manage their budget for profitability.

When companies struggle financially the first thing that gets their budgets slashed are Research & Development and Marketing which means that Pokemon Organized Play's budget is under Nintendo's marketing expense which is unfortunately necessary to keep Organized Play in existence. This situation has forced Pokemon Organized Play to slow or reverse the growth of the Pokemon TCG itself which is what we're seeing with the TCG right now that's causing alot of people to quit the Pokemon TCG as an end result.

It was an interesting argument that explains the possible reasoning behind the rationale of what goes into actual design, playtesting, and Research & Development behind the cards being printed for the Pokemon TCG. TPCi of course is only in charge of translating the cards into other languages across the world including in English as well. I'm still optimistic about what XY Base Set will bring but for the most part it still seems like with the way Mega Evolutions are being handled and how evolved Pokemon as Basic EX's are the norm, it makes it look like TPCi doesn't care about people who play the TCG competitively when the real culprit is the state of the global economy forcing TPCi to act the way they have been.

If TPCi are only in charge of translating, then how would it make them look as if they don't care ?. Surely it would fall down to Nintendo, they are the creators of the cards.

Though interesting post, I guess no one really thinks about that. Though Nintendo are loosing money, it's clear with the 3DS and Wii U having massive price reductions, within a year of release. I always thought the 2DS was to make money as well to be honest.

It's a big shame really.

Back