Is Accelgor still Viable?

Mist

Yo, my name is Brock. I'm the master of rock
Hey Pokebeach.

I have been trying to make an Accelgor deck in the new format and I was wondering, is it still a viable deck? I have tried it with quite a few different ideas, but none of them seem to work that well.
Without Sunflora and vileplume, is it dead?
What can it possibly go with?

Accelgor/Gothitelle/Darkrai/Venusuar seems to be the most popular option for the time being.

I guess Mew EX works, but it's not always that great, as it's HP is a little low for an EX so I prefer not to use it

Martini said:
I guess Mew EX works, but it's not always that great, as it's HP is a little low for an EX so I prefer not to use it
Its hp actually doesn't matter because you're going to be shuffling it back into the deck. It's also easier to swarm.

Martini said:
Yeah, but when your opponent catches you off guard it can get KO'd.
I honestly fail to see a situation where you could be caught off guard. It will never be active during your opponent's turn and when it is on the bench, you have Gothitelle. Accelgor that does not use Mew EX as its attacker is vastly inferior to an Accelgor that uses Mew EX. If you can give me a situation where after you set up, Mew EX is a liability to you, I will listen.

Accelgor/Gothitelle/Darkrai/Venusaur is great if you can make it consistent enough to get turn 2 Gothitelle. It almost shuts off Darkrai/Hydreigon completely.

Mew EX has to be played. No one wants to have 2 Venusaurs in play just to get out an Accelgor every turn.

pokemonjoe said:
I honestly fail to see a situation where you could be caught off guard. It will never be active during your opponent's turn and when it is on the bench, you have Gothitelle. Accelgor that does not use Mew EX as its attacker is vastly inferior to an Accelgor that uses Mew EX. If you can give me a situation where after you set up, Mew EX is a liability to you, I will listen.

I tested with it, and I constantly started with just a Mew EX alone... Because of it's low HP, it got donked too easily. And even at that Mew EX itself is just shut down by a much faster Garbodor, and becomes dead weight on your bench.

Venusaur is also shut off by Garbodor and becomes dead weight on your bench so I don't think that's a fair judgment on Mew EX. Nor is saying it's a liability because you got unlucky and were donked a few times. The fact of the matter is that attacking with Mew EX is a far easier and far more efficient way of using Deck and Cover each turn than attacking with Accelgor is.

Martini said:
Yeah, but when your opponent catches you off guard it can get KO'd.
This is where I stopped listening to your argument. You don't bench Mew-EX if you're not going to Deck and Cover. And you'll have Gothitelle active for a large part of the game. During that time your opponent can't Catcher.

Martini said:
I tested with it, and I constantly started with just a Mew EX alone... Because of it's low HP, it got donked too easily. And even at that Mew EX itself is just shut down by a much faster Garbodor, and becomes dead weight on your bench.
That's just bad luck. That's no reason to validate not using Mew. Also, you probably should have thought your argument about Garbador through more because it also shuts down Venasaur and Gothitelle, so there's that.

If Garbodor is a problem you can always run a coupl of Psychic energy, because for a DCE and a Psychic, Gothitelle can Catcher OHKO it.

I was thinking Mew EX/Gothitelle/Accelgor and maybe Garbodor. That sounds good so far to me. At least it disables tool scrapper.

Well, to answer if Accelgor is still viable, the answer is easily.. No.

I've been testing it, and I can easily say that the deck just does not work anymore. I played it for Worlds, in the HGSS-on format and it was clunky then.

Now, in BW-on it loses what made it good: The supporters.

Twins, PONT, and Sage made the deck much better. You thin it out, get what you need, and get a new hand. In BW-on, there are hardly any supporters left.
And the ones we have aren't even that great, considering the best one we have forces you to discard your entire hand.

The lock is never consistent, and Mewtwo is played. Mewtwo will kill Gothitelle, and then the lock is completely gone.

Nowadays, pretty much every deck besides Darkrai/Hydreigon plays a fairly large number of Switch, so without Gothitelle, they could just drop Switch and attack you, which just ruins the point of the deck.

And, oh yeah, Garbodor. He shuts down the deck 100%.

And good luck finding room for Tool Scrappers. :p

Martini said:

The only way it can get "donked" is if you either a) attach an energy to it, not bench another Pokemon, and then pass, and your opponent drops Mewtwo double, or b) your opponent starts Mewtwo, Double, double Pluspower.

It's 120 HP. You can't donk it that easily.

Back