Intelligent Gameplay Discussion Thread

But for all you know both Shaymins are prized. Factoring in prizes is important, but most of the time the cards needed will not be prized.

Here's a tough one:

You are playing D&D (my favorite deck :p), v.s Reshiram Typhlosion, the scenario is-

You have 2 Donphan out. 1 is active and 1 is on the Bench. Both have 1 Fighting Energy and both have no damage. With the Donphan on the bench is a Retreat Aid Dodrio with no Damage, a Zekrom with 30 damage and a DCE, a Reshiram with no damage no energy, and a Cleffa with 20 damage on it. You have 2 Prizes left.

In your hand is 1 Juniper, 1 Catcher, and 2 PlusPower. You know you have 1 Junk Arm and two Fighting Energy in your deck of 14 cards.

Your opponent has a Reshiram active with 60 damage and 3 Fire energy on it. A bench Reshiram with no damage, no energy. A Typhlosion with 60 damage on it and 1 Fire energy, and a Ninetails with no damage, no energy. They have two Fire energy in their discard pile. They have 2 Prizes left, and 5 unknown cards in their hand.

You have three choices. You can kill the Typhlosion with Earthquake using Catcher and the two PlusPowers and permanently cripple their field and hope to survive the next turn, KO-ing your Cleffa in the process. You can kill the Reshiram with Earthquake and automatically survive the next turn, but you have no way of immediatly taking the next prize, also KO-ing Cleffa in the process. You can also use the two PlusPower, Juniper, hope to hit one of the two Energy left in the deck, Retreat Donphan bringing up your Zekrom and killing the Reshiram. The problem with that is your opponent may or may not be able to kill you, because you don't know whats in their hand of 5 cards If they manage to kill your Zekrom, you automatically kill your Cleffa because Donphan is the only attacker you have left. But you do know that they have used 2 Junk Arms, 3 Catchers, and 2 PlusPower. Their deck has 16 Cards left in it.

I personally would kill Reshiram and hope that they do something stupid, or have some ingenious brain-child and pull off the victory. Hope you like this!

EDIT: If you come up with a better plan than I could under the circumstances, feel free to say it.

@Venasour x I would always choose to KO an engine build card, which would be Typhlosion in this case. Since there is only one, they are relegated to drawing and dropping fire energy, which is ideal when compared to a situation where one Typhlosion and one turn stockpiling energy by using Outrage instead of Blue Flare can lead to an "Attach, Afterburner, Blue Flare" scenario on every Reshiram they produce on the field.

I would kill the active Reshiram with one Pluspower, taking out my Cleffa in the process. After that I would Catcher up Ninetails, (assuming they don't bench something with less than 70 HP), Pluspower, then Juniper in hope to hit the Junk Arm. If I don't, I should still have one turn to figure something out, because they can't OHKO, since they couldn't have Blue Flared last turn. I would also hit myself after the game for playing Cleffa in Donphan Dragons.

Vulpix Yolk said:
I would also hit myself after the game for playing Cleffa in Donphan Dragons.
this

anyway
i would kill the reshiram. If it goes down they have 2 options, send up the other reshiram or typhlosion. if they send up the other reshiram, they can outrage for 10, and if you can hit an energy to retreat to the other donphan, they will need 2 pluspowers for the ko. while you can use your last plus power to kill it.

if they send up typhlosion, they could flare destroy the energy off, but once again you just have to hit 1 energy to return the ko.

either way, i would pretty much just need to hit 1 energy.

but no matter what, if they have a junk arm or catcher they win, cause dodrio is just catcher bait.

Vulpix Yolk said:
I would also hit myself after the game for playing Cleffa in Donphan Dragons.
I like the way you think.

I forgot that Dodrio was on the bench.
I guess i would do what Spidy said.

If you would hit yourself for playing Cleffa in DnD, I'll kick my own balls for the Dodrio in the DnD. Too risky to play Dodrio since it's catcher bait lol

I'd kill Reshiram. Typhlosion can't get the revenge KO, and while losing the energy is annoying, I can use Juniper next turn, taking 7 out of the 13 remaining cards (post topdeck). With 2 energy for sure in the deck, there is a good chance of getting one of them. There's also a chance at that junk arm, to then drag out Ninetales. Because the benched Reshiram has no energy and there's only one Typhlosion, the Reshiram would need to wait a turn to attack anyway, and the odds favor getting the necessary resources to keep up the momentum.

Riskbreakers said:
If you would hit yourself for playing Cleffa in DnD, I'll kick my own balls for the Dodrio in the DnD. Too risky to play Dodrio since it's catcher bait lol

exactly
any situation i thought of them playing catcher ended with catcher dodrio, flare destroy gg

Go for the Reshi– get it tied in prizes, then you can Catcher and try to KO something the next turn. Typhlosion killing means it's still tied, but your opponent might have a Catcher for an easy win next turn.

My build has 1 Cleffa for the time that I hit a terrible start that means auto-loss v.s anything. And people don't drag Dodrio up as much as you would think, and either way free retreat for Reshiram or Zekrom is amazing, specially against BearPlume which one guy runs in my area alot.

I think it depends on the deck. Tornadus would have little problem with dragging it out and killing it since it has nothing to fear from Donphan. I get what you're saying though, people would rather get rid of donphan, even in that matchup, than kill the tech. If it comes to a 1-1 prize game however, hope they don't have catcher...

Here's one I've been wondering about.

You're playing ZPST. You're facing Gothetelle. On the fail you have a fully loaded Tornadus, Pachymin, and an empty Zekrom. You have a PONT in your hand, but you already played collector to get your setup, there are no other cards in your hand. Gothetelle has a Gothia active, one Gothita on the bench, two Solosis and no energy on the board. He has four unknown cards in his hand. If your opponent gets both pieces of the deck set up, it's probably game. Do you kill a Gothita or a benched Solosis?

Doesn't really matter tbh.. Because assuming they have Twins in their hand, you kill one and Twins a goth out just for the sake of saving their solosis from snipe. I'd say go for the Gothita that way he'd have less Gothitelles out on the field.

I'd go for the Gothita too, but the problem is that either way they'd probably get a Gothitelle their turn, then a Reuniclus the next– all they would need would be Twins and a Gothitelle/Rare Candy (Twins for the other part and another Twins; next turn, Twins for Rare Candy+Reuniclus). After that, it's over...

EDIT: Yeah, how WOULD you KO a benched Solosis without Catcher...?

I'm assuming Magnevire just forgot to mention having Catcher.... It seems to me that if they do have Twins, you're doomed whichever one you kill, so I would kill the Gothita just in case they have Twins and you want less Gothitelle around. If they don't have Twins, then that's great because you can kill the other Gothita and slow them down. Killing both Solosis would probably be more crippling, but it's safer to go for Gothita first because they are likely to have Twins in their hand.

Even if you do have Catcher, I would go for a Gothita anyway. I personally think getting rid of Gothitelle is a lot more crippling than getting rid of Reuniclus, as Reuniclus is easy prizes if they have no more Goth.

Yes but one Gothitelle is enough if they have Reuniclus out.

Back