Pokemon If you could create a new type, what would it be?

RE: If You Could Create a New Type - What Would it Be?

Mitja said:
Okay here is the single only type I would ever want to see added on top of the 18:

Wind.
(and don't tell me Flying covers it, because it only does when there is no other element involved like in Leaf Storm, Fire Spin, Twister, or maybe not even necessarily pure wind-based stuff since Whirlwind is Normal! And also because Flying has NOTHING to do with wind conceptually in what the type is about. Flying is about taking advantage of techniques/abilities that allow you to overcome gravity. Its about being capable of flight)

Wind-type moves are
Resisted by: Grass, Bug, Rock, Ice
Super Effective on: Fire, Water, Electric, Ghost

Wind type Pokemon are
Weak to: Bug, Electric, Dragon
Resistant to: Fire, Ground, Rock, Ghost, Fairy

(holy shit, I added so much needed balance to the type chart, that gamefreaks attempt with Fairy looks silly in comparison. They managed to nerf 1 overused type and give some use to 2 poor offesive choices, while I buffed 4 of the weakest types defensively, weakend several types that deserve another weakness, and made Bug and Dragon moves have more use, while nerfing several of the most dangerous offenses out there.)

Candidates for retyping:

---Secondary
-Butterfree: Bug/Wind
-Gyarados: Water/Wind
-Dragonite: Dragon/Wind
-Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff: Grass/Wind
-Beautifly: Bug/Wind
-Masquerain: Bug/Wind
-Chimecho: Psychic/Wind
-Drifloon/Drifblim: Ghost/Wind
-Fan Rotom: Electric/Wind
-Whimsicott: Grass/Wind
-Vanillite/Vanillish/Vanilluxe: Ice/Wind

---Primary
-Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot: Wind/Flying
-Lugia: Wind/Psychic
-Flygon: Wind/Dragon
-Tornadus: Wind/Flying (finally it would make sense next to its Electric/Flying and Ground/Flying bros)

This list is probably bigger than what gamefreak will change for Fairy, and has actual primary typed ones too.

Personally, I'm not really sure why Dragonite, Gyarados, and Flygon are on that list, but damn... This is seriously perfect. This would be one awesome flipping type.

Rotom NEEDS THAT TYPING. It is not flying. Honestly...

Can I just say I'm stunned that's nobody has suggested a Light-type? I'd thought that was the most common fan type. I guess most of the thought process is that Fairy fills Light's niche now...which it doesn't, honestly. It's close enough that it will never be an official type since it would balance a bit of the same stuff, but thematically they're quite different.

My take on Light is just that - pure, elemental light, a "core" element that somehow isn't directly represented in pokemon at the moment. Light would go on anything with bio-luminescence or that naturally gives off light in other capacities (some Fires and Electrics), as well as some pokemon with solar/lunar thematics that are more light-based than space-based (which fall more under Psychic, so Lunatone/Solrock wouldn't be getting retyped), and most with star thematics. A quick, rough list of pokemon that might have their types changed:

Ampharos: Electric/Light
Luxray: Electric/Light
Latios/Latias: Dragon/Light
Starmie: Water/Light
Jirachi: Steel/Light
Cresselia: Psychic/Light
Volbeat/Illumise: Bug/Light
Manaphy: Water/Light
Gigalith: Rock/Light (maybe? crystals kinda fall under Light's domain, so Rock-types with crystals would gain a Light typing)

And of course the new typing would come with new pokemon focused more around Light itself, so it's not just limited to Psychics that only barely fit into that type.

As for the type chart:

Light is super-effective on: Dark, Ghost, Bug
Light is not-very-effective on: Grass, Steel, Ice, Ground, Light
Light has no effect on: N/A

Light by itself doesn't actually do all that much - it does the most damage when it's focused as heat, or via the higher-energy EM waves, which aren't visible to the naked eye. So Light is a somewhat poor offensive typing, only hitting SE on things that are especially affected by the light, and being NVE on anything that reflects, absorbs, or blocks light, as well as itself, as all other elemental types resist themselves.

Super-effective on Light: Ground, Ice
Not-very-effective on Light: Fire, Electric, Fairy, Ghost, Bug, Light
No effect on Light: Dark

Conversely, there is very little that directly damages light, so Light has few weaknesses (only Ground, which blocks it out, and Ice, which fragments it, I guess? seriously, coming up with weaknesses for this type was tough). And in pokemon, most types that could be seen as derivatives of another type (Rock and Steel from Ground, Ghost from Dark, Ice from Water) are either ineffectual against or weak to the 'origin' type. In this case, Light resists the "less pure" light sources (Fire and Electric), as well as a more specialized type in the same vein (Fairy) and things that shy from the light (everything that's weak to Light).

The end result is something similar to Steel pre-Fairy: a weak offensive typing that also happens to be a great defensive typing, and while an excellent typing to have is rarely used for STAB if there are better options.

Mitja said:
Wind-type moves are
Resisted by: Grass, Bug, Rock, Ice
Super Effective on: Fire, Water, Electric, Ghost

Wind type Pokemon are
Weak to: Bug, Electric, Dragon
Resistant to: Fire, Ground, Rock, Ghost, Fairy

From a balance perspective, this is good, but some of these type matchups don't make sense in terms of real world logic. Why is Electric weak to Wind? Why is Bug super effective against and resistant to Wind? What about Ghost?

Mitja said:

Gyarados would definitely not be Wind, it's Flying type purely because it's supposed to be able to fly (because of that Japanese legend that Gyarados is based on).

For the sake of it xD
Theres probably a number of match-ups that don't seem to have a "real world logic" basis

Why is Grass resisting Electric? (I actually wanna know if this one has an explanation btw)
Why does Water resist Steel?
Why was Steel resistant to Dark/Ghost, and why isn't it anymore?
Why does Dark resist itself?

Bolt the Cat said:
Mitja said:

Gyarados would definitely not be Wind, it's Flying type purely because it's supposed to be able to fly (because of that Japanese legend that Gyarados is based on).

Because I thought its definitely based on koinobori, the japanese karp windsocks.

Its supposed to fly? Do you have a source for that? o:

Best type = Food type

Check it out.

Weakness: Poison
Resistance: Fire, Ice

SE against: Fighting
NVE against: Ghost

Candidates: Exclusive to Vaniluxe line and Cherubi.

...what?

bacon said:
Best type = Food type

Check it out.

...what?

You forgot Swirlix as a candidate :p

P.DelSlayer said:
bacon said:
Best type = Food type

Check it out.

...what?

You forgot Swirlix as a candidate :p

Combee reminds me of a Honeycomb, so Combee could be a Bug/Food type. Maybe Sunkern, too. Sunkern is a sunflower seed, after all. Certain mushrooms are safe to eat, Foongus line is a good Food type candidate as well.

Mitja said:
For the sake of it xD
Theres probably a number of match-ups that don't seem to have a "real world logic" basis

Why is Grass resisting Electric? (I actually wanna know if this one has an explanation btw)

Bolt the Cat said:

Because I thought its definitely based on koinobori, the japanese karp windsocks.

Its supposed to fly? Do you have a source for that? o:

I think Water resists Steel because Steel rusts because of water. I think Dark as more "Dirty Fighting" than actually like Shadow attacks. For example, Bite and Sucker Punch are moves that a "Dirty Fighter" would use. That's why Fighting is SE against Dark. A dirty fighter can't fight a dirty fighter. A real, fair fighter (Like the Fighting type) can beat a dirty fighter. I'm just guessing here.Or should I say, I'm taking a shot in the Dark. hurrhurrhurr getitgetit? Dark type? Dark/? hurrhurrhurr getitgetit?

Mitja said:
For the sake of it xD

Grass types are technically plants and since plants have roots in the ground you can say that Grass types are capable of grounding Electric attacks to take less damage.

I could give a reason for why Water resists Steel but that would just raise the question of why it doesn't resist Normal, Fighting and Rock as well, and then my other reason would just ask why Steel isn't weak to Water...

It's hard to use "real world" logic for Ghosts as no one has ever caught one and studied it ;P

Dark types are sneaky and use tricks all the time hence "Evil" type in Japan. An evil person would know all the evil tricks so it would be hard to surprise them with one of their own tricks which is why Dark resists itself.

and that's my 2 cents.

Chimera said:
Can I just say I'm stunned that's nobody has suggested a Light-type? I'd thought that was the most common fan type. I guess most of the thought process is that Fairy fills Light's niche now...which it doesn't, honestly. It's close enough that it will never be an official type since it would balance a bit of the same stuff, but thematically they're quite different.

My take on Light is just that - pure, elemental light, a "core" element that somehow isn't directly represented in pokemon at the moment. Light would go on anything with bio-luminescence or that naturally gives off light in other capacities (some Fires and Electrics), as well as some pokemon with solar/lunar thematics that are more light-based than space-based (which fall more under Psychic, so Lunatone/Solrock wouldn't be getting retyped), and most with star thematics. A quick, rough list of pokemon that might have their types changed:

Ampharos: Electric/Light
Luxray: Electric/Light
Latios/Latias: Dragon/Light
Starmie: Water/Light
Jirachi: Steel/Light
Cresselia: Psychic/Light
Volbeat/Illumise: Bug/Light
Manaphy: Water/Light
Gigalith: Rock/Light (maybe? crystals kinda fall under Light's domain, so Rock-types with crystals would gain a Light typing)

And of course the new typing would come with new pokemon focused more around Light itself, so it's not just limited to Psychics that only barely fit into that type.

As for the type chart:

Light is super-effective on: Dark, Ghost, Bug
Light is not-very-effective on: Grass, Steel, Ice, Ground, Light
Light has no effect on: N/A

Light by itself doesn't actually do all that much - it does the most damage when it's focused as heat, or via the higher-energy EM waves, which aren't visible to the naked eye. So Light is a somewhat poor offensive typing, only hitting SE on things that are especially affected by the light, and being NVE on anything that reflects, absorbs, or blocks light, as well as itself, as all other elemental types resist themselves.

Super-effective on Light: Ground, Ice
Not-very-effective on Light: Fire, Electric, Fairy, Ghost, Bug, Light
No effect on Light: Dark

Conversely, there is very little that directly damages light, so Light has few weaknesses (only Ground, which blocks it out, and Ice, which fragments it, I guess? seriously, coming up with weaknesses for this type was tough). And in pokemon, most types that could be seen as derivatives of another type (Rock and Steel from Ground, Ghost from Dark, Ice from Water) are either ineffectual against or weak to the 'origin' type. In this case, Light resists the "less pure" light sources (Fire and Electric), as well as a more specialized type in the same vein (Fairy) and things that shy from the light (everything that's weak to Light).

The end result is something similar to Steel pre-Fairy: a weak offensive typing that also happens to be a great defensive typing, and while an excellent typing to have is rarely used for STAB if there are better options.

I DID mention a light-type. I mentioned the solar-type which is pretty darn close.

Sound-Type

Super Effective against Ice, Fighting, Electric, Flying

Weak against Steel, Psychic, Ghost

I feel that Sound-type would be a great addition to the list of types we have already. So many Pokemon would be retconned, and there are so many new design possibilities. They would be able to learn a lot of Flying moves, and vice versa. They would usually be very good (special) attacking Pokemon, and in my opinion are very balanced in terms of strengths and weaknesses. If anyone wants to know why I chose the strengths and weaknesses, feel free to ask.

I would also like to see a Light-type, but that's already been brought up. ;)

I will repeat what the others said - sound-type.

Many pokemon use sounds as attack: Sing, Chatter, Echo Voice, Growl, Howl, Screech. Some pokemon are even famous for using their voice against enemies (Chatot, Jigglypuff).

My own details:

Super effective against:
Ice (it can crush the ice with its voice)
Bug (small bugs would be scared of stong noises)
Fighting (big noise would not allow enemies to focus on attacks)
Fairy (fairies like peace)

Weak against:
Dragon (dragons make strong noise themselves so they would not care)
Water (you can't sing under water XD)
Steel (look --> dragons)

The Pokémon I would transform into the sound-type:
Jigglypuff--Wiggypuff
Zubar--Golbat--Crobat
Whismur--Loudred--Exploud
Chimecho
Kricketot-Kricketune
Chatot
Meloetta

Vulpix said:
Fighting (big noise would not allow enemies to focus on attacks)
Fairy (fairies like peace)

These are pretty questionable reasons for a type advantage.

Vulpix said:
Weak against:
Dragon (dragons make strong noise themselves so they would not care)
Water (you can't sing under water XD)
Steel (look --> dragons)

This is better reasoning for those types resisting Sound, not weaknesses to Sound. Sound's weaknesses would be based on which types could disrupt or distort sound, such as Water and maybe Steel.

Vulpix said:
Zubar--Golbat--Crobat

Zubat line already has two very fitting types, it probably won't get retyped.

Bold The Cat, I only wrote the reasons of why the sound-type moves would not effect dragon, water and steel type pokemon too much.

I know that the Zubat line is two-typed Pokémon and it will probably not be changed. I only wrote what I would do, if I had a chance to add a new type to the game.

Aura Type

Weak To:
Psychic - Controls aura

Resistant To:
Poison - Aura is similar to spirit, so it can't really be poisoned physically
Dark - Aura resists the evil of Dark-Type

Immune To:
Fairy - The energy of Aura-Type overcomes Fairy-Type's magic as aura is somewhat of an energy which I guess can't be manipulated by magic, causing immunity (Also helps balance Fairy's uncanny trait of being able to effect everything)

Suppereffective Against:
Ghost - Ghosts are similar to manifestations of aura (according to Wikipedia :p) therefore the Aura-Type is supereffective against the darker, more ghastly version of itself
Normal - Aura is able to control (Possess) normal or natural un-elemental beings
Dark - The light energy of the Aura-Type combats the Dark-Type

Resisted By:
Steel - It's strength, sturdiness, and density protects it from the energy of Aura-Type
Ground - Basically the same thing as Steel

Moves:
Aura Sphere, Bone Rush, Focus Energy, Energy Ball, Force Palm (All have to do with exerting energy of some sort)

Pokemon:
Riolu & Lucario - Obvious
Zorua and Zoroark - Their ability to transform into different Pokemon kinda seems like they're using the target's aura and copying it
Dialga. Palkia, & Giratina - All have to do with the three major forms of matter, which are somewhat similar to an energy or aura
Mespirit, Uxie, Azelf - All three have to do with emotion and have strange and mysterious powers, relating them to a kind of aura (Mespirit has "spirit" in it's name, very similar to aura)

I would make seven:

1. Death
  2. Cyber
  3. Time
  4. Cosmic
  5. Light
  6. Sound
  7. Space

Battle Properties for each type:

Death:
Super Effective Against:
Grass, Water, Fighting, Flying, Bug

Weak to:
Time, Cyber, Fairy, Light

Resists:
Grass, Flying, Bug, Death

Not Very Effective Against:
Time, Cyber, Fairy, Ground, Death

Immune to:
Rock

No Effect Against:
Light

Cyber:
Super Effective Against:
Steel, Time, Death

Weak to:
Flying, Electric, Rock

Resists:
Time, Death, Cyber, Dark

Electric, Flying, Cyber

Immune to:
Steel

Time:

Super Effective Against:
Space, Death, Grass, Rock, Cosmic

Weak to:
Cyber, Space, Light, Fire

Resists:
Death, Grass, Cosmic

Cyber, Light

Time and Space are Super Effective against eachother

Cosmic:

Super Effective Against:
Psychic, Dragon, Rock

Weak to:
Ice, Time, Space, Light

Resists:
Psychic, Dragon, Rock, Cosmic

Ice, Time, Space, Light, Cosmic

Light:

Super Effective Against:
Dark, Death, Time, Space, Sound, Cosmic

Weak to:
Steel, Water, Dark

Resists:
Death, Time, Space, Sound, Cosmic, Fire, Bug, Ghost, Fairy, Ice, Ground, Light, Rock, Flying, Electric

Steel, Grass, Light

Immune to:
Death

Light and Dark are Super Effective against eachother

Sound:

Super Effective Against:
Steel, Ice, Fighting, Fairy

Weak to:
Light, Grass

Resists:
Steel, Ice, Fighting, Fairy, Sound