How to beat CMT?

GHJamesGH

Retired Mod
I am currently running a Quad Groudon deck and I have had trouble beating CMT. What are some counters to it? What Pokemon should I target with Catcher? Should I put in Terrakion?

ALL help is appreciated :)

I think a 2-of Terrakion would help. The problem with Groudon vs. anything with Eviolite or resistance is that the first attack can't hit.

ruins of alph (UD-76) removes resistances, letting your pokemon do full damage.

another idea is to put mewtwo or tornadus of your own in to add some variety to your attacking lines.

other than that, catcher carefully and maybe add some pluspowers to add do that little bit extra damage

I wouldn't add anything this close to Nats, for you may break the deck. I cannot help you add anything for I do not know your list, nor do I need it. However, I can supply you with a decent strategy:

With you're deck Tornadus really lolz at your Groudon; It takes all of your most powerful attack to three-shot it while two-shotting you.

Hm. Mewtwo can be a hassle with this deck, but if you can keep the healing coming, then you are golden. They have to have six energy on their Mewtwo through all of your BanHammahs and Lost Removers to one shot a Groudon with three energy on it, not counting if he has an Eviolite on it.

Expect them to fight with Tornado all game. Sadly, this is unavoidable. They will swarm Tornadus on you and you'll have to manually fight through them.

But... There is one they fear. In their tongue, is Catcherkiin, TrainerBorn! Catch-er-Celebi! *Skyrim music plays*

:p

Sadly, they will bench just so many Celebi (Usually at the start of the game as their first basics) and then you will be stuck with Tornadus. What you can do is Catcher up Smeargles and KO 'em. But this, too, will run out soon enough.

Add 2-3 Ruins of Alph, 1-2 Mewtwo and 1-2 Shaymin UL.
That should improve your CMT matchup as well as improve versatility.

From my experiences, running Mewtwo only evens the tide, because you just get into a Mewtwo war. Now if you're up for giving up the monotype, a tech of one Shaymin EX can do wonders. It's rather unexpected, and once it's out they can't stop it. It can be such an amazing sweeper. I kid you not, I was once 6 to 1 in prizes against a CMT, and I had my Shaymin EX take 6 successive prizes and won.

In, short, you'll probably both have Mewtwo. But if you have Shaymin EX and they don't, you have the upper hand.

Meaty said:
and they don't, you have the upper hand.

Keyword, DON'T. If they have a Shaymin EX of their own, they could return the sweep on you, and even if they don't, Tornadus EX can 2HKO Shaymin EX while getting 2HKO'd back, and if they can't 2HKO Shaymin, I'm sorry, something is wrong with their list.

Emopanda133 said:
Keyword, DON'T. If they have a Shaymin EX of their own, they could return the sweep on you, and even if they don't, Tornadus EX can 2HKO Shaymin EX while getting 2HKO'd back, and if they can't 2HKO Shaymin, I'm sorry, something is wrong with their list.

The problem is that CMT is too fast and consistent of a deck to use Shaymin EX correctly. They're bound to be taking more prizes early on, and therefore they can't use Shaymin EX well at all. Tornadus can't be charged up very easily later on if you manage to get rid of their Celebi Primes, and they hardly ever have too many Tornadus so if you call the one(s) with energy first then they're kind of screwed. The fact that Tornadus only 2HKO's Shaymin EX is its main flaw, actually, because Shaymin will one-shot them with ease. They can't really successfully attack twice in a row, you KO them too easily to let them do that. You can also choose to run disrupting cards like Lost Remover if you really don't want their Tornadus to attack you. I should also mention that Mewtwo EX needs four energy to one-shot your 2-energy Shaymin EX, assuming you don't have Eviolite or that you didn't kill their Mewtwo EXs with your own already. You can obviously dispose of their Mewtwo EXs with your own if they're still around, and Tornadus clearly can't one-shot their Mewtwo EXs. The main point I've been trying to make is that once your Mewtwo EXs dispose of their Mewtwo EXs, your Shaymin is unstoppable because Tornadus is destroyed by Shaymin EX much more easily than it is killed by Tornadus. If their list happens to use Tornadus EX, well, how convenient, it can't one-shot Shaymin EX either. And if you bring out Shaymin EX when they're already down to one prize, it can even one-shot Tornadus EX and Mewtwo EX unless they have Eviolite and full HP. They can catcher your pokemon, but you can take care to not leave anything too frail on your bench alright.

tl;dr: My argument seems very complex and situational, but my main point is that in the right kind of deck (as in a slower one), Shaymin EX will give you the upper hand in the late game that CMT lacks. If you use it right, it can be a game-changer.

Think about it. If you have RoA, you should have no problem winning the prize trade. They are 2HKOing most of your groudons (In theory) and you are 2HKO their EXs and OHKO everything else of theirs. The only difference is that you have ways to heal your groudons, but they can't slow you down. You should be able to win the matchup with RoA and a few healing items.

Back