XY Horde encounters

I really love the idea of a horde encounter. Being able to battle more Pokémon at the same time makes it much more fun and realistic to me. I am worried, though, that if it happens early in-game that my Pokémon will get knocked out easily by hordes (especially if I do not have a multi target move). On the other hand, it would be nice to be able to have them in the beginning. The EXP bonus would also be a great way to level up. Generally, I think wild Pokémon battles were too easy anyway, and this really spices things up!

Yeah, I guess this is their response to wild battles feeling so monotone (which is why they went for double-grass, shaking grass and such stuff in the past)

Drohn said:
I really love the idea of a horde encounter. Being able to battle more Pokémon at the same time makes it much more fun and realistic to me. I am worried, though, that if it happens early in-game that my Pokémon will get knocked out easily by hordes (especially if I do not have a multi target move). On the other hand, it would be nice to be able to have them in the beginning. The EXP bonus would also be a great way to level up. Generally, I think wild Pokémon battles were too easy anyway, and this really spices things up!

Maybe it will be like challenge mode you turn it on or off. Also I wonder if it happens with legendaries....for example, a horde of Giratina: Giratina, 2 gengars, 2 misdreavus appears.

Ghost King said:
Drohn said:

Maybe it will be like challenge mode you turn it on or off. Also I wonder if it happens with legendaries....for example, a horde of Giratina: Giratina, 2 gengars, 2 misdreavus appears.

I don't think they would do it for legendaries.

Raptor9229 said:
Ghost King said:

I don't think they would do it for legendaries.

well its just a possibility, but would be kinda weird.

I wonder if we can ever send out more Pokémon at once against a wild Pokémon, too. Back to topic, I am really impressed by the horde encounters and cannot wait to know more about how it works. I do hope it does not mean we have to defeat 4 of them to catch one, like in double battles where we cannot catch one before the other has fainted. In general it is a great feature in my opinion, and it will be more realistic.

Ghost King said:
Drohn said:

That would actually be an interesting feature....
You get to, let's say Articuno, at the top of a mountain. Articuno comes flying towards you. It then calls upon 2 Piloswine and 2 nicki minaj Jynx. You then fight all 5 in a horde battle.

Unlikely, but would still be a nice feature

What if- you are fishing, and fish up a Magikarp. Then all the sudden 4 Gyarados appear around it to back it up lol. Seriously though, Im wondering if hordes will apply to fishing/surfing?

NoDice said:
What if- you are fishing, and fish up a Magikarp. Then all the sudden 4 Gyarados appear around it to back it up lol. Seriously though, Im wondering if hordes will apply to fishing/surfing?

With Surfing, it probably will.

Fishing would only make sense if you're net fishing, and so far the pokemon games don't have that option.

Would be cool if there's a percent chance of a second Pokémon appearing every extra turn you spend in a wild Pokémon battle.

steffenka said:
Frezgle said:
What I'm wondering the most is how you're supposed to catch anything from the horde. Reduce them down to one like in wild double battles? Or can we catch more than one now?

That's exactly what I thought as well, I think it might be the same as double battles but I'm not too sure. I'm pretty sure that they are gonna be catchable :)

I think Pokemon X and Y Versions might have a Pokemon 'Choose and Catch' kind of strategy. It might let you select the Pokemon and the Pokeball will be sent to it.

I'm just hoping that one of the five pokemon can be shiny and that you can either catch whichever one you want at the beginning or that you can knock them out one by one until the shiny remains and catch it. I also hope for shiny hunters they make it where horde battles are common in certain spots. It seems like they have been trying to make finding shinys easier eg double battles masuda method shiny charm I think this horde battle feature is another way to help players find more shinys

A fun thing I would like to see with hordes is a/some roaming legendary/ies that only appear in hordes. (The legendary and 4 other pokemon of the same main type or type that sets it apart from the trio or duo (i.e. raikou with a bunch of jolteons))

One of the few things I'm not looking forward to in X/Y. While I'm excited about Fairy types and new Pokemon and all, I think Horde encounters will be nothing but a big hassle for me. On the flipside, I'm glad to see Houndour so early on in the game.

I have no idea what to think of the horde encounters. I'm just surprised that I get to encounter Axew so early in the game!
-HSOWA

NetherSword7301 said:
I have no idea what to think of the horde encounters. I'm just surprised that I get to encounter Axew so early in the game!
-HSOWA
How could you tell it was early in-game?

NetherSword7301 said:
-HSOWA

Considering that all the times we've seen footage of Horde encounters the Horde has been around 10 levels lower than your Pokemon, it might be safe to assume that that's how its gonna play out (it also means your at less of a disavantage)
So Axew might actually be around 3rd/4th gym time

Drohn said:
NetherSword7301 said:
-HSOWA

The horde was all lv.8

I think what they meant by over-leveling was the wild Pokemon and not your own. Instead of coming across a level 20 Pokemon, you will come across 5 level 8 Pokemon.

That way you don't come across a powerful Pokemon and catch it just to have a higher level Pokemon. You actually have to train them all the way up, instead of catching a powerful Pokemon and getting rid of your weakest Pokemon.

It does make it a little bit more difficult, and it makes it more realistic, cause in the anime, you don't always come across just one or two, sometimes you do come across hordes.

So in my opinion, i think this was a smart move.

Mitja said:
Drohn said:

The horde was all lv.8

That's true, I didn't notice their levels. They might, however, just keep the levels of the Pokémon in Horde Encounters low, so the player won't be in too much danger of getting knocked out by 5 attacks of high level Pokémon.

Back