Ho-oh EX Variants

This deck previously had a positive matchup against Garbodor because it didn't rely on the ability, so that's not why. HTL is really what killed this deck along with the introduction of Black Kyurem EX. This deck has no reliable way to get out of poison or sleep every turn and one of its best matchups, Blastoise, is now one of its worst because it has zero answer to Black Kyurem EX which can steamroll this entire deck without breaking a sweat.

I'd say damage output, mostly. The big decks right now can all either OHKO EXes (Darkrai, Eels, Blastoise) or deny the opponent the ability to do so (Garbodor, Klinklang). Ho-oh does neither of these.

I think more of a Tornadus-oriented version of the deck could still have success. You have the possibility to donk Klinks and Squirtles, and can take advantage of Virbank. Add insert attacker here and some techs, and you have a simi-playable deck. It's not as good as it used to be, but it can still be played succsssfully. Or maybe I'm just overly optimistic.

Just got back from my first States (Honestly.. my first tournament EVER since I only started in December) and went 5-3. I lost in the 8th round due to a misplay against a Plasmaklang deck, but honestly had no problem, just a fudge up on my own part. The #1 deck I played against was Rayeels, and honestly had little trouble, and the pony matchup was a joke (even with tropical beach)

Sooo.. I still feel comfortable with my deck.

I also never went first.. I have that kind of luck. lol

It's interesting that the decks you didn't have problems with were Rayeels and Blastoise; how did you handle Rayeels and how did you handle BKEX?

Blah said:
It's interesting that the decks you didn't have problems with were Rayeels and Blastoise; how did you handle Rayeels and how did you handle BKEX?

I focused on the squirtle/blastoise , only lost 1 prize from BKEX (I had reshiram on the front, he had no catcher in hand) I then scramble switched for Bouff (with giant cape, definitely helped in the plasmaklang situation) and since he couldnt deluge, he catchered for the BK next turn for KO.

As for the Rayeels, I feel that one matchup was purely luck. They got energy starved, but the second I kept landorus out for quick dealings with eels and they only got to dino once per turn.

I DID find trouble with Zekrom/eels.. because I got stuck with tornadus without a bench. That hurt.. but it happens.

Didn't play a single Darkrai deck (disappoint), but I'll tell you.. the deck that won had to be Garbodor. I got lucky early game and he got stuck with only 2 trubbish out and I 2nd turn (he went first, so by my second turn) donked with Mewtwo.. but there was one deck I heard was 8-0 when I missed cut.

Useless. Keldeo is just going to OHKO it anyway even if you do manage to get an attack off with it. Mewtwo is an easier way to deal with Keldeo, although it's much more difficult with BKEX running around now.

Blah said:
Useless. Keldeo is just going to OHKO it anyway even if you do manage to get an attack off with it. Mewtwo is an easier way to deal with Keldeo, although it's much more difficult with BKEX running around now.

Hopefully I will finally get to see someone play BKEX correctly.. every single time I've seen it played they've either had to Juniper it away (because it was necessary) or lay it early to avoid it being discarded.. which is a terrible idea.

DrunkSpinda said:
Baby Ray is a good tech against BKEX, though

Agreed, but teching an attacker that takes more than one turn to power up (unless for energy switch) can be more hurtful than helpful.. since he does get his for weakness back from BKEX AND other RayEels decks.. which are up top right now.

With the right lay, he would be helpful, but at what cost.

Did Ho Oh do well in any states? I really liked this deck and I have watched it get destroyed after Plasma storm....

I don't really think it's destroyed. Sure, most of the other decks got the most out of PLS but that doesn't really mean Ho-Oh isn't good. It has its bad matchups but if you manage to outrun them it could turn out ok.

r0naLd222 said:
I don't really think it's destroyed. Sure, most of the other decks got the most out of PLS but that doesn't really mean Ho-Oh isn't good. It has its bad matchups but if you manage to outrun them it could turn out ok.
It's not horrible, it's big basics after all, but it's just not worth it anymore, considering the matchups.

Lil Wayne said:
Did Ho Oh do well in any states? I really liked this deck and I have watched it get destroyed after Plasma storm....

Hey, I count going 5-3 at my first ever states (first ever tournament in my life since I started playing in December) as good. lol I was the only Ho-Oh there though.

Alright, at the risk of sounding completely person.. here is a quick question. Why is Big Basics T1 but Ho-Oh T3? All a Ho-Oh deck is a Big Basic deck with a Ho-Oh teched in for energy acceleration.. and Ho-Oh isn't even required for the deck to run smooth? What is the big deal?

Ho-oh has water weakness, so thats a free 2 prizes against Keldeo. Big Basics now also runs Garbodor usually, so that gives it an advantage against Klinklang. Whereas Ho-oh has very few good answers to PKK.

Big Basics without Bodor is definitely not Tier 1. Without Bodor, Big Basics loses really badly to Rayeels and Blastoise and depending on your build can also have a meh matchup vs Klinklang. Garbodor gives it a better (albeit still negative IF they run Tool Scrapper imo) matchup against Blastoise, a chance against Rayeels if you don't donk them, it helps greatly vs Klinklang, and while Darkrai doesn't rely on its abilities too much, it does make HTL much more annoying against them.

Back