Haven't played since around 2001, any tips?

Master_Z

Zach Carmichael
I used to play the card game when it first came out, but I'm unfamiliar with the new rules and expansions. What kind of cards/strategies are commonly used and do you have any other tips? I just bought a Call of Legends booster box, so if you have any suggestions about strategies from that set in particular or whatveer, let me know, thanks.

Call of Legends is actually one of the worst sets ever made..
Next format (HGSS-ON) is a format with a lot energy acceleration (Feraligatr Prime/Emboar Ability/Pachirisu CL,Shaymin UL)
The only good cards in CoL which are playable are Smeargle,Ninetailes and Umbreon.

So is Pachirisu, as you just mentioned in the energy tranferers. There are also Lost World, Lost Remover, Research Record and Mr Mime from CoL that are good. In general, the dominant decks are Magnegatr, Reshiboar, ZPS (Zekrom, Pachirisu, Shaymin) and Jumpluff/Cinccino. These are the best bets if you want to win.

Shaymin Lv.X said:
Call of Legends is actually one of the worst sets ever made..
Next format (HGSS-ON) is a format with a lot energy acceleration (Feraligatr Prime/Emboar Ability/Pachirisu CL,Shaymin UL)
The only good cards in CoL which are playable are Smeargle,Ninetailes and Umbreon.

actually for a beginner with no cards its perfect. they get all the staples along with alot of high want cards that they can trade for big things (PONT, CC, Collector, Ninetail, Smeargle, ect.)

i recoment getting you collection going then picking a deck you thing would be good for you. some of the up and comming decks, reshiboar (emboar #20 from BW and Reshiram BW, can have a Rayquaza Deoxys Legend in it as a secondary attacker also i run bouffolant in mine and it works like a well oiled machine), BlastGatr (this deck has Blastoise from Unleashed and then Feraligatr prime OR floatzel from Unleashed to do 100 damage to the bench or active every turn), MagneBoar (this deck uses Magnezone Prime and Emboar #20. the point of this deck is to attach energy with emboar then lost burn them for a OHKO every turn. i am currently running this deck and it work VERY well in the new format)

The number one tip for new or returning players? Buy some HGSS packs, go to a league, learn, then trade and build a deck. Easiest way to get into the game. I became a moderately good competitive player in a couple months just from having a decent number of cards and going to league.

Really? My experience started from making a simple Dusknoir deck, which developed into a Cursegar, which developed into a Lostgar. Now I'm running Cinccino and Magnegatr. Anyway, in my opinion, you want to start off with a deck that is good, but easy to build. You can then modify that until you start to win frequently.

Leafeon was reprinted in CoL so maybe you could build a Leafeon Col/Roserade unleashed deck. Or maybe you could build a deck based off the Forretress with "Everyone explode now".

Don't listen to all of the hype and the jive on the internet. Find a local league and ground yourself there. It's best to listen to what's going on in your local scene since this game offers different experiences all over the country.

Buying a box is always helpful. Buy some more cards from other sets (stick to HeartGold & SoulSilver, Unleashed, Undaunted, Triumphant and Black & White, since only those and CL will be legal in a few months). Most importantly, go to league. You can get help, trade for cards, maybe borrow a few cards, and get help making a good deck.

The main reason why I would pick HGSS over CoL or any other set is that it has both Typhlosion and Gatr Prime which should be good trade material, and you already get the Collectors and DCE, 2 cards almost nobody wants to trade away because they're so good.
Seeing how you already got a CoL box anyway, I advise you to trade away pretty much all the rares, but keep all the trainers. The foil energy cards can be traded for good stuff as well, since they're quite rare.
A good cheap deck to build right now is a Fire deck with Ninetales and either Charizard AR (not recommended because of rotation) or Typhlosion Prime.

Thanks guys. I was looking at the cards I got from the booster box though, and many of them use DCE instead of their regular energy type for attacks. Is it common to throw several types in a deck if they use DCE so then you can pretty much counter all types? Also, I did manage to get Smeargle, Leafeon, Ninetales, and several of those holo energy cards. ;)

Oh, it's good that you have those! They will make great deck cards, alongside the usual staples, if you have them (Pokemon Communication, Prof Elm's Training Method, PONT and the others that I mentioned previously. In response to your question, it is common to use dual-types with DCE, but don't go too overboard - dual-types tend to work well together, but any more than that can be dodgy. However, a Psychic/Electric/Dark deck did win Worlds in 2009. The thing with multi-type decks is that if you are using DCE, you can only have four, so it is commonly used alongside either Rescue Energy or basic Energy.

I'd reccomend buying a box of HGSS or B/w if you can afford it. or a Mixed box of 18 and 18 (some stores offer this option), HGSS has the biggest staples (pokemon collector, communication, etc) and Good primes (donphan especially, feraligatr could also be good next format), B/W has all of the newest and some of the best cards (Emboar ability, reshiram are a deck of themselves, just get one more ninetales and you're set). Smeargle may be outclassed next format by Cleffa which is HGSS or COL. I'd also reccomend making a trade thread on here to post what you don't want and get what you Do want/need.

I already have the ability Emboar I got in a BW pack, as well as several of the staple cards apparently (Prof Elm, Juniper, a couple Collectors). I have a Reshiram that I Got from the tin, but it's not the full art. I'm leaning towards fire + psychic, but I'm still not completely sure yet. Should I get a HGSS booster box or a BW one? The HGSS has went up to like $100 now....

if you have both reshiram and emboar w/ ability AND ninetales, you might as well go with the reshiboar deck. yeah there's a ton of hype around that deck but for good reason: it works. full art only matters for collecting/trading. other than the look, it's the same exact thing as what you got. I don't use any FA reshiram in my reshiboar deck because I don't want it to get damaged so I leave it in my binder for show/trade.

my suggestion for reshiboar is reshiram/emboar(ability)/ninetales and a 4th pokemon that could counter water (since water is really your only danger one rotation hits and everything slows down.) I suggest zekrom, lanturn prime or ampharos prime. ampharos doesn't hit hard but works as a bench tech. lanturn can only work when active but hits pretty hard. zekrom you don't need any lightning or rainbow energy in your deck to use it's first attack, but that attack requires you to be pretty banged up already to use it, so relying on that isn't much fun. or use boufflant like catutie said.

I suggest this deck because it's going to be one of the better decks when rotation hits, and you already have a lot of the cards for it.

I also suggest reading up on the "Deck Garage" section of these forums. people post all of their deck ideas so you can get a feel of what's out there right now. that helped me get into the game a lot.

No offense to ghost bear but if you run Reshiboar you pretty much have a hard time with water..it's an inevitable matchup that you will probably lose (like if you ran rain dance in base and they had an all electric deck),

4 reshiram (any kind is fine)
2-2-2 emboar ability
2 shuckle PROMO (hard to find, and not available on many online sites)
2-2 ninetales HGSS or COL

that's the basic pokemon line

2 Interviewers question
3 collectors
2 fisherman
4 communication
4 Super scoop up
4 junk arm
4 seeker
2 rare candy

Is the Basic trainer etc set up. Fill in the gaps with your own playtesting. I also run 2 twins as a tech just in case i get a bad start and someone dies early

15 fire Energy at least. Some people test with 2 rescue but I havn't yet. My reshiboar deck has creamed zekrom/pachi/shaymin in testing and in my opinion is one of the better ways to build it.

I wouldn't be so sure about that...I run reshiboar and at battle roads I'm 1-1 against gyarados, and I'm 3-0 against blastigatr with zekrom in my deck. when I see I'm up against blastigatr I try to get emboar as quick as possible with zekrom. then I have a field day playing their weakness. against gyarados it depends on the situation, but I'm not worried too much about gyarados because that's leaving soon :) only other water pokemon is samurott which isn't too big a threat...I can just about beat that with reshiram. and yeah it destroys ZPS no problem.

I wouldn't suggest worrying about getting a shuckle promo if you're new to the game (or I guess returning after an extended leave of absence and unfamiliar to the new cards and format currently in rotation). it'd take some time. the ninetales that you got is plenty of draw power if you run a fire deck. any other deck then yeah, sadly you'll have to track down a shuckle promo (or two) or use that smeargle you got to be able to keep up with the speed of fire decks and the zekrom/shaymin/pachirisu deck.

Shuckle is a god in reshiboar..

Typical scenario:

Oh look..drop 3 energy,,draw 3..2 more energy attach those..draw 2..one energy..cool attach that..then Super scoop up/seeker up shuckle and put all of those energy on your reshirams.

Thats 6 energy and alot of other Draw..or Also..SSU/seeker and put shuckle back down and re-attach all of those to draw EVEN MORE.

^i run shuckle in my magneboar. its amazing as a starter and then just have an energy well on the bench

^ I actually don't like Shuckle. People seem to forget that too much draw power can result in you running out of cards in your deck, or if you stall for so long that it goes to Sudden Death, you'll probably lose. Although it seems broken, it has its risks.

Anyway, this isn't really helping as 'tips' so I think that we should get back on topic.

Back