Haven't played since around 2001, any tips?

I honestly use Lickiboar. Lickilicky TM, which snipes for 10 per Energy attached to it, plus Emboar (ability, obviously), and then you have a deck that has massive damage output, and can hit anything.

~SS

honestly, I think the best tip is to study all of the cards out there in the format (more importantly HGSS-on, since MD-AR will be obsolete soon) so you can remember cards out there to add to your deck. playtest a lot, because practice makes perfect....gets you more strategies and realize different approaches. and third is to not rush into a move when you play. make sure you take the time (without stalling) to think of as many different moves and scenarios as you can, and choose the one you think is best.

I wonder if Lickilicky TM is going to become a serious tech in Emboar based decks? That could be good.

If you're new, don't work too hard to get into MD-on; play something that will be viable in both formats if you want to play competitively now, like Magnezone or Kaboom (Emboar/Forretress LA); the valuable cards are from HS on.

If you want an inexpensive deck to roll out with in both formats, try this core:

4 Eevee (the one that calls for family)
3 Leafeon UD/CL
2 Umbreon UD/CL
2-2 Houndoom Prime
2-2 Roserade UL

4 Rainbow Energy

Go heavy on the hand refresh (PONT/Juniper) with this deck, and stay aggressive. Eevee is your preferred starter. Attach rainbow energy to Roserade to inflict status, and hit for huge damage with Leafeon. If a threat you can't handle comes up, wall with Umbreon and poison/confusion, which can really wear down a pokemon like Machamp Prime into leafeon's KO range.

The deck is a lot better than it looks and can be played in either format depending on your T/S/S line. While it may not be top tier, it's a lot of fun.

^agreed. it's a very inexpensive deck. most expensive card would be houndoom prime which runs from 4-7 bucks, which isn't bad compared to stuff like gengar prime. your only problem with this deck would be reshiram/emboar decks because of your weakness. but with a little strategy thrown in to involve striking first, you'll be able to pull it off half the time.

Shaymin Lv.X said:
Call of Legends is actually one of the worst sets ever made..
Next format (HGSS-ON) is a format with a lot energy acceleration (Feraligatr Prime/Emboar Ability/Pachirisu CL,Shaymin UL)
The only good cards in CoL which are playable are Smeargle,Ninetailes and Umbreon.

Call of Legends may be one of the worst expansions in the TCG but it does help for players who are getting into the new HGSS-On format with cards they need to replace the one's they ran for MD-On. Cards like PONT, Copycat, Pachirisu, Smeargle, Mr. Mime, Dual Ball, Tyrogue, Elm's Training Method, IQ, Lost Remover, Special Dark, and Umbreon are musts.

Cleffa is probably the main card you'd want to try to get ahold of a playset for since it's such a great Starter Pokemon on Turn 1 and later plus it has free retreat once it wakes up and takes no damage while asleep. I like it better than Stantler from Unleashed anyway. Sure the set has like 13 playable cards including Lost World but I'm not complaining.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm basically only going to be focused on HGSS and up like you said. I believe I'll build a psychic-fire deck, just because it seems like psychics are a bit overpowered, and I could throw in reshiboar.

Back