has pokemon "jumped the shark"?

Yup. Sneasel and Slowking from Neo Genesis got banned.

PUSA needs to make Pokemon fair and stop creating broken cards. XD

Are all of you person? I'm sorry but how in the world is Dialga/Palkia LEGEND that broken? Sure it adds prizes but it can't do ANY damage whatsoever. It'll be so completley slow and takes three energy (can't even abuse Double Colorless Energy here) and has to discard two SPECIFIC energy. And it really isn't all that easy to get out; top+bottom half and three turns of attachment. Now don't go and say "But Legend Box!" because if you are really worried about something that slight of happening (both halves+two to three energy) then play Spiritomb as a starter or Vileplume as a tech. The only thing that I don't really like from the Lost Link set is Hunter and Gengar Prime (and I guess Lost World in a way). If those cards actually do come out then I'll probably just play some form of Sableye or something with Darkness attackers.

I'm not too bothered with the whole lost world, lost world stadium, it just adds a new "spin" to the game. Gengar Prime though is just ridiculous - you basically CAN'T have any pokemon in your hand or else you're one step closer to losing, though its damage output is very very low its the effects that make it so broken.

I'm all for innovation, but this is just a bit too far. On the up side expect the number of Sablelock/Absol G variants to shoot up once this card is released in an attempt to counter this madness.

I see what you mean Lunar Wing, but still, if they get the energy on there to add the prizes or put your only attacker back in your deck that's not cool.

honestly...I'm not worried about any of the cards until they release...main reason being:

D/P Legend: I am doubting that you will be able to give your opponent more than 6 prizes, and this is nothing more than a gimmicky Legend...kind of like the first 2 Legends, that have seen little to no play competitively

Lost World: I actually like this card, it will be refreshing to the game, especially being that it will be mainly one set to contribute to its usage...Hunter LL and Gengar Prime will help with some cheap wins, but the consistency of actually being able to get those wins before your opponent gets their wins is what becomes the test...not to mention, the rotation will change a bit on how things are done in the meta...so it's not so easy to bank on what will and won't stop you

G/K Legend: this is a pretty mean legend, however it's pretty bulky in energy costs, and the most devastating attack requires your opponent to have energy in the top 5...unless you can find a way to get this built fast, it won't be that tough to deal with

Gengar Prime: this card with Lost World can be pretty nasty...however, the energy build up for such low damage capacity is dangerous, and you wouldn't really have a way keep your opponent from just KO'ing stuff left and right

qnetykz said:
honestly...I'm not worried about any of the cards until they release...main reason being:

D/P Legend: I am doubting that you will be able to give your opponent more than 6 prizes, and this is nothing more than a gimmicky Legend...kind of like the first 2 Legends, that have seen little to no play competitively

Lost World: I actually like this card, it will be refreshing to the game, especially being that it will be mainly one set to contribute to its usage...Hunter LL and Gengar Prime will help with some cheap wins, but the consistency of actually being able to get those wins before your opponent gets their wins is what becomes the test...not to mention, the rotation will change a bit on how things are done in the meta...so it's not so easy to bank on what will and won't stop you

G/K Legend: this is a pretty mean legend, however it's pretty bulky in energy costs, and the most devastating attack requires your opponent to have energy in the top 5...unless you can find a way to get this built fast, it won't be that tough to deal with

Several years ago (can't remember exact date) a prize penalty used to be your opponent could take a prize and then you'd have to put a card (from top or bottom, can't remember which) from your deck and it becomes a prize. If you got a prize penalty early enough you could end up with 7 prize cards (which is what DPL could wind up doing if your opponent took a prize card). So I'm 100% comfortable about saying that DPL could give you 8 prizes (and more).

EspeonROX said:
Yup. Sneasel and Slowking from Neo Genesis got banned.

PUSA needs to make Pokemon fair and stop creating broken cards. XD

Umm...TPCi dosen't make the cards. PCL does. And what piplup said about banning Lost World, well I doubt that is from a reliable source. And even if it was, the card is not even out in US, and it might not come until November or later. And as for DPL, that card may not come out until 2011. Plus DPL is not broken at all. 2 Metals and a colorless. Ditch 2 metal. It's too slow and it's also a legend. There is no way that is getting setup with Lightning weakness. I do not think Hunter's that good; it wastes your supporter. I don't really want to use my supporter for the turn when I can just Poketurn or even flip for the SSU. Also, Gengar's not great either. The damage output is not there. I know it has a decent first attack, but even with lost world, you're not going to win anytime before SP can take a good amount of prizes and probably win. I don't care if you've tested it; the results are not legitimate. We don't know what other cards may be included when these cards come out. Plus I don't think we're getting Gengar until November anyway. Honestly, you all are overspeculating. It's always more ridiculous until it comes out. So seriously, I would stop freaking out about things that probably won't come out for a while.

Anyway...

The power creep has been rising since Pokemon started; cards got better and better. This is not new in a card game. Magic and Yugioh have also had severe power creeps, if not more. It is what happens over time. The thing is, I don't know how much more powerful the cards can get to the point where everything is stupidly broken. I think it's fine as it is now and can stay at the same level of power for a while. I can't really imagine this game more powerful. It would just be too dumb and pointless.

Just my 2 cents.

Lunar Wing said:
Several years ago (can't remember exact date) a prize penalty used to be your opponent could take a prize and then you'd have to put a card (from top or bottom, can't remember which) from your deck and it becomes a prize. If you got a prize penalty early enough you could end up with 7 prize cards (which is what DPL could wind up doing if your opponent took a prize card). So I'm 100% comfortable about saying that DPL could give you 8 prizes (and more).

There is a big diffrence between going over 6 prizes by way of penalty and by an in game effect. It seem to me that this dose not leave clear path for the ruling, IMO.

arcv2 said:
There is a big diffrence between going over 6 prizes by way of penalty and by an in game effect. It seem to me that this dose not leave clear path for the ruling, IMO.
How is it a big difference? Both ways allow a player to have more than 6 prize cards. Mind explaining?

Lunar Wing said:
How is it a big difference? Both ways allow a player to have more than 6 prize cards. Mind explaining?

All I was trying to convey was that you can't compare apples and oranges. The penalty of an exta prize happens when there is a large rule vialation and the juge can only rectify it by adding the prize. The penalty ruling dose not prove or disprove with out any dout that a player should go over 6 prizes in normal play.

Here's my opinion: They may be jumping the shark, but I don't think its a bad thing. I mean seriously, this game is a little boring when you use straight damage decks. All it is attatch and do damage until someone loses. I like these new strategies and different ways to win(except gengar because its over powered).

I agree with Brawler, you guys are overreacting to this and it's not as bad as it sounds IMO. Sure Lost World decks could be cheap but we will cross that bridge when we come to it. The way I see it, it's a nice counter against SP decks but how are they fairing so far in Japan I wonder?

Kyogre/Groudon LEGEND is nice but like qnetykz already mentioned it's heavy on energy attack costs meaning it would be a long while before you set it up and the downside is that Luxray GL Lv. X or even Jumpluff could get rid of it easily since it's dual weak to {G} and {L}.

I'm sure there will be some kind of errata on Dialga/Palkia LEGEND regarding the prize amount thing If there is. As for the game jumping the shark no I don't think it has, and the power creep in Pokemon isn't nearly as bad as in Yu-Gi-Oh! (maybe a little), If it is feel free to correct me on that and give me good reasons why.

I'm a bit optimistic about these new strategies as well too like GHJamesGH mentioned, at least it helps spur different deck archetypes in terms of mill, hand control, that sort of thing like in Magic but not as bad.

Card Slinger J said:
I agree with Brawler, you guys are overreacting to this and it's not as bad as it sounds IMO. Sure Lost World decks could be cheap but we will cross that bridge when we come to it. The way I see it, it's a nice counter against SP decks but how are they fairing so far in Japan I wonder?

Its not a counter for SP. Its just a ludicrously powerful deck. I mean, how are you supposed to combat lost world? If they get a good set up, they win. There's basically nothing you can do about it. Except having only five pokemon in your deck.

The way I see it while these cards are over powered now, but it wouldn't take much to make card like this "pokebody: prevent all effects of attacks that allow your opponent to see your hand" so while theese cards may be over powered now they could be easily countered in the future and after time they wont be in format. I think a better tv term would be Dork Age.

arcv2 said:
The way I see it while these cards are over powered now, but it wouldn't take much to make card like this "pokebody: prevent all effects of attacks that allow your opponent to see your hand" so while theese cards may be over powered now they could be easily countered in the future and after time they wont be in format. I think a better tv term would be Dork Age.

Yes, they could make cards that counter it, but I'm unhappy they made it in the first place. "I win" cards are a bad idea no matter what the game is.

Also, a more slick way of countering it would be a body that prevented players from playing stadium cards.

amisheskimoninja said:
Yes, they could make cards that counter it, but I'm unhappy they made it in the first place. "I win" cards are a bad idea no matter what the game is.

Also, a more slick way of countering it would be a body that prevented players from playing stadium cards.

Don't get me wrong I dislike like it as well and they should avoid it in the future, but I think "jumping the shark" is a one way road we haven't gone down yet.

Lou Cypher said:
Dialga used DEAFEN
Lost world cried.

Ok, so your strategy is to attack with a 10 damage attack every turn until you stall out. And if you miss it even once, you lose. Meanwhile your opponent is doing 30, rather than 10 to you every turn. I don't think thats a good strategy...

Where is Lost World doing 30?
I also love how you seem to have no comprehension of how Dialga works. Once Expert Belt, a stadium of their own and Skuntank G are taken in consideration, the damage goes up to 50 a turn, coupled with the full trainer/stadium lock. Oh and you reduce their damage AND heal all your damage once every while (Garchomp said 'sup).
Lost world stands no chance against Dialga G.

Back