Gyarados from Stormfront (#19), 3/14/2010

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
19-gyarados.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential?
2. What popular metagame decks is it used in?
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
5. How's the artwork?

Posts MUST be several sentences long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted - this forum is to discuss specific cards so other people can learn about their potential in the current metagame.

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
1.) The Atrocious Pokemon is awesome on its own. Being able to rely on Sableye SF, Regice LA/Registeel LA, Felicity's Drawing GE and the newly-released Pokemon Collector GS, Gyarados can set up extremely quickly. It has so much potential, it's definitely going to see play in States tournaments.

2.) Gyarados is in the metagame. It's quick, reliable and able to dish out 90 damage (110 with Expert Belt PA) for no Energy. How sweet is that? Very.

3.) As I mentioned before, the goal is to start with Sableye SF and to Impersonate a Pokemon Collector for a few Magikarp (if you have a Felicity's Drawing in-hand) or a Regice and two Magikarp if you need a quick way to discard them. Gyarados is mostly seen by itself, and doesn't need Claydol either. (A 1-1 line is the maximum: you WILL have beefy hands.)

4.) I summed it up already. I give Gyarados a 9.5/10. When Gyarados is KO'd, it's easy to get him back. Pokemon Rescue can bring back a Karp from the Discard Pile and put it in your hand. If you run BTS, (which is strongly advised), you can play the Karp and evolve to a Gyarados right away. Crobat G is another card to run if an extra 10 damage is needed, so you'd bring him up after Gyarados has been KO'd. Retreat for free to your new Gyarados, and you're ready to do more damage.

5.) Awesome artwork. Harada does an awesome job of displaying Gyarados's violent nature, and it's just super.

First post?

ZZZAPDOS

Z-Unit
What's good?
130 HP is awesome for a stage 1. The ability to do 90 damage for no energy with Tail Revenge turn after turn is unmatched. Even once you get KO'd, you can recover right away; place a Crobat G (PT) active, use Pokemon Rescue (PT) to get a Magikarp back, and then evolve into Gyarados on the same turn using BTS. Sick strategy. With Expert Belt and a Crobat G drop, you can easily knock out most of the meta's more pertinent threats, and it'll be challenging even for things like Luxray X to knock it out. Furthermore, with Regice (LA), you can really maximize the effectiveness of that 90 damage by forcing switches when your opponent is in a bind. With Sableye (SF), you don't have to worry too much about Spiritomb's (AR) trainer lock because you tend to use supporters to set up anyway. And even if you get locked when your Gyarados is KO'd, you can use Combee (SF) to get that Magikarp back out of your discard pile. Super scoop up allows you an extra chance to reuse this power, too.

What's not so hot?
Totally walled by Mr. Mime (MT), but you can easily counter that with a Dialga G X (PT) tech to shut off non-SP bodies. Luxray GL X is obviously a pain, especially since it can OHKO with a Lucario GL (RR) and a Crobat G drop. Also, pretty vulnerable to Gengar SF. It can do some serious damage with Poltergeist due to the large hand size of Gyarados and the abundance of trainers. That being said, I like to run either a 1-1 or 2-2 of Claydol (even though other people don't) in order to minimize my hand to only the trainers that I need to recover immediately (1 SSU, 1 Pokemon Rescue). That way, you won't have to worry about Poltergeist doing obscene amounts of damage.

Overall, 4.75/5. Gyarados can hit hard and take hard hits, and recover quickly after a KO to keep delivering. Setup with Sableye is extremely consistent. Gyarados is one of the BDIF right now.

Artwork is 3.5/5. Not too shabby, but nothing special. I like Gyarados GS better (Arita is a god at producing simple yet stunning artwork).

JPN Gallade

That dream... make it come true!
Awesome, we get to review one of my favorite cards of all time.:)

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or it has potential?

On its own, Gyarados can be very good. Put techs like Sableye and Regice and this thing is sure to cause havoc upon the opponent. Gyarados on its own also takes down Donphan easily. The ability to hit for 90 damage, or 110 damage if there's expert belt, for no energies makes this card very good.

It's basically often runned on its own. As mentioned earlier, every Gyarados will often run 4 Sableye to guarantee a start with this Pokemon so that they can use Pokemon Collector, a Supporter that greatly benefits Gyarados, on the first turn, and there'll always be at least 1 Regice to move your opponent's Pokemon around, mainly for Spiritombs and Mr. Mimes, as well as helping to discard magikarps. Of course, a Gyarados deck will also often use usual support like Uxies and Azelfs as well, and maybe Claydol too. In fact, in many Gyarados decks, you won't even need to run Claydol due to cards like Felicity's.

Well really, as it has been mentioned earlier, definetly it would be Sableye and Regice. For me? Well, I would often like to put Crobat G and Poketurns in order to do extra damage in order to make Tail Revenge a much more powerful attack. I can also consider Luxray GL Lv. X. Sure you have Regice, but you can use Luxray GL as a tech in order to take down certain cards you want to KO, such as Claydol.

4. Give it a rating, and explain why would you give it that rating.

Overall 5/5 in modified. This card is one of the 4 biggest contenders for states, along with Luxchomp, Cursegar/Spiritomb, and Dialga/Garchomp. The ability to hit for 90 or 110 for no energy is very good. Sure Luxray GL and Spiritomb may hinder it (Spiritomb because of the fact Gyarados relies on trainers), but Gyarados can do well against many other decks, especially when it comes to Donphan, which is probably its easiest matchup. Gyarados is a card you shouldn't laugh at, because it is one monsterous attacker. No wonder it is called the Atrocious Pokemon!

5. How 's the artwork?

I must say, that probably has to be one of the best Gyarados artworks I have ever seen. It really looks as if Gyarados is in a total rage. Seriously, Midori Harada is such an amazing artist. I think this has to be one of his best Pokemon drawings.

Lord Atmo

Kabutops Fanatic
In my old fashioned type of duelling, this card is like a god. Dealing 100 without eating up energy or damaging itself? It's a dream come true! But with this constant speed this, speed that metagame, the card sadly isn't used fully for what it could do

No clue. No tournaments anywhere near me! Can't see how it fares up when I never see any games!

I always thought you could run a Regigigas Lv X to sacrifice your Magikarp for you when needed, keeping itself alive and dealing out some hurt. Then if your opponent finally kills Gigas, you have a Gyarados ready for some more hurt to keep dealing

4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
I'd give it 5. Just cuz I'm a sucker for a nice cheap 100

5. How's the artwork?
Not a fan of it really. Doesn't have much "power" to it. In fact, this card would've been better off as a holo if you ask me

Porygon Z.0

Power to the porygons!!!
This card was and still is a tier 1 card all the way. On its own its a powerful tank that can take hits a dish them back out again.
Its potential has been shown a hundred times over in all kinds of tournaments. A great card and a great choice.
G-does is a deck in its self. Combined with sableye for easy set up, regice to discard karps, and a couple of new techs, this card makes an awsome deck. The fact that it needs no energy frees up all kinds of space. And just when this deck was past its prime pokemon collector came out to push it back up.
Like I said earlyer this card needs regice and sableye. Combee SF and dialga G always help against trainer lock nowadays which is this decks achilles heel. Maybe donphane to help with its luxray problems but I dont think it would work very well.
Definatly a 4.5/5. Maybe higher if played by the right person.
5. How's the artwork?
3.8/5. Like the artwork I just wish gary was...angy not evil happy

sparrkyl

Aspiring Trainer
This card is fantastic! This is one of my favorite cards in the meta, and loove running him! 110 (with ExBel) damage for no energy is great! If you are running this card for Wreak Havoc or Dragon Beat, your not playing this correctly.

Uhh... Gyarados DUH!!

The most obvious are Regice, to force a switch. Sableye to get your supporters out AND essentially play two in one turn! Then Combee with its honey to get Magikarp back onto the bench, nulling out Spitiromb. And of course Crobat G to add those 10 or 20 extra damage when needed.

Then there are the trainer/supp like Pokemon Collector (which is soooo broken for this deck!) BTS, PokeTurn, Expert Belt, and Pokemon Rescue. Oooh and Warp Point!!! (free retreat with Crobat G added bonus!)

4.9/5 Yes this is my favorite card in the current meta, but i can recognize its flaws. The flaws most people see can easily be tech'd, and the only one that is killer is Mr. Mime. Then again, that's what Regice is for! :p

5. How's the artwork?
Fantastic!!! The shading in his fins is absolutely stellar! This is my favorite artwork as well.

And to LordAtmo: This card IS in Holo!! i have four of them myself!!

BlackBrock

Dusknoir's Handy Man
130HP and stage one, which gives it very good speed, i think this card is a beast. played against it once and had trouble keeping up. beilive only got off one Shadow Command...

Gyarados of course, haha, but Around here i've seen it played twice, aside from the one time i've played against it, mostly used with Sableye. not sure excatly how big it is in this area. the one girl i know who plays it has a very nice build of it.

Regice, but think Sableye is abit better. i've been thinking of Jirachi RR with its free retreat and free Detour attack AND final wish. also with the love of psychic gonig around, he has a -20 resistnce which makes good.

i'd give it a solid 4.8/5, its fast it hits hard... every hard, and can put some serious pressure if the person needs set up time.

5. How's the artwork?
i've like afew past card artwork better than this one. something this strong should have artwork like the Gyarados star.

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Yay Gyarados. :]

To me, this card only functions in a deck based on itself, specifically the first attack. Discard Magikarps, attach an Expert Belt and continue to sweep using Pokemon Rescues+BTS to continue until you win the game. In this regard, the deck is good. It seems to have done fine at States so far, so it has definitely proven itself to be a worthy deck.

It's used in Gyarados lol. The only deck that functions with it in there. Discard Magikarps with Felecities using Collector+Sableye to setup.

Sableye, Felecities, Claydol, Regice, Pokemon Rescue+BTS, Expert Belt, Crobat G, Pokemon Reversal/Luxray GL Lv.X, the list goes on and on about what a Gyarados deck should have.

I'm of course bias here. I'd give the card 5/5. XD Honestly though, it does have a few shaky matchups being Luxray, so in actuality I'd give it 4/5. I love Gyarados and I like how the deck functions in the metagame, so it deserves a high rating.

5. How's the artwork?

I love the artwork tbh. It's one of my favorite Gyarados cards to look at. It's fierce on the front, and the way the waves crash in the lower right corner is stunning.

dmaster out.

Zero

Renegade Writer
This guy is a beast on his own. He can do up to 90 damage for 0 energies without any requirements other than having magikarp in the discard pile. There are no effects to it where the Magikarp returns to your deck. That means that this guy can do 90 damage PER TURN without needing any energies. And besides, Magikarp are easy to get rid of anyways. By all technicality, this guy is horrible on his own. Giving up magikarps to prizes is not a good way to win. You need other cards to discard the Magikarps. Even so, he is a beast because he does not need any one card to help him out. You have a slew of cards to help discard the Magikarps. This guy, infact, gets mad when he's played with anything as a secondary card. He needs a certain amount of support that most attacking Pokemon can't handle. This guy needs very few, if any, energies. This gives his deck a lot of room to play trainers and supporters. Most other attacking pokemon need at least a few energies. Also, Gyarados's entire strategy depends on grabbing Magikarps just to discard them. Most other pokemon, except banette from Secret Wonders and Solrock from Supreme Victors can't handle discarding cards.

Gyarados's other attacks are kind of junky. Why do 20 damage per turn for 2 energies when you are able to do up to 90 with 0 energies? His third attack is very annoying, but one must ask themselves if its really worth it. Five energies are A LOT! And again, why do 100 for 5 when you can do 90 for 0? The trade off just is not there.

This guy is a one-man show. He doesn't play nice with anyone except those that play his game. Even so, he's a very popular deck. He rates high in the current metagame because he is able to do 90 damage by turn 3, and 90 every turn after that. He is able to be set up quickly, and everytime he gets knocked out, he comes right back. Because of his low energy cost, he can get right back in the game despite having gotten KO'd. Overall, this guy is one of the BDIF

This guy is great with Regice. Not only do you get to discard magikarp, but you get to push away some pests, like Spiritomb from Arceus. Gyarados is great with Broken-Time Space and Space-Time Distortion. You get the Magikarp and gyarados back from the discard, play them both immediatly, and then you get to Gyarados back in action. If your active is a pokemon with no retreat cost, you can get Gyarados back in the game immediatly. Combine that with a constant 90 damage per turn (110 if it has Expert Belt from Arceus), and Gyarados proves just how amazing it is.

I've witnessed first hand how monsterous Gyarados is. I'd have to give it a 4.5/5. He is amazing, but I don't think he's BDIF. He's up there, though.

5. How's the artwork?
OH MY GOD GYARADOS IS GONNA EAT ME!!! D: He'll look cool doing it, though. The artwork adds to the amazingness that is Gyarados. 4/5.

Fun fact, the artists name "Midori" means green :)

DragonKing23

Definite Rookie!
I personally like this card, but it's not my favourite.
1) Gyarados from SF stands really well on its own, being able to do up to 90 for no energy can only be a good thing, right? Except for the drawback of it's Tail Revenge attack, the fact that you need 3 of your 4 legal Magikarp in the discard to do the full 90 damage. For this to work, you either need to give up 3 PRIZES or use Felicity's Drawing. Your third, but kind of annoying option is Garchomp Lv X with restore, but that's just getting to be a little slow for this beast of a card.

2) Do I really need to give you an answer for this one? Of course it's in any good Gyarados deck, and can be teched in to other decks if you need it that much.

3) Well, as I said before, it combo's with Felicity's Drawing, as you can get rid of Magikarp and use Broken Time-Space to have a turn 1 Gyarados doing 30-60 damage if you get a good start. Pokemon Rescue and Time-Space Distortion also work just to get them all back and start rampaging again.

4) Well, from what I've seen of this guy in New Zealand, I'd give him a 3.5 out of 5. Definitely a monster when it sets up right, but just not that reliable.

5) Good but not great, 3/5

Deca

Them Crooked Fearows
Ugh I hate this card so much. It's just so lazy to play a Gyarados deck. Running Mightyena I actually stood a better chance of beating Mr. Mime, there was just no way for me to ever beat Gyarados.

seboextreme200

Old Sage
1' If it were to be compared with the original Gyarodos from the base set it does bring a new light on the "the get in and trash the place" strategy we were used to and since it works works great with the magikarps from any set it's potential is sky high.

2' Can't say the specifics of the metagame decks it's used in, but being a shoot & kill combo with the magikarps in the discard pile, it's like a torpedo.

3' As i stated previously the magikarp in the discard pile allow Gyarodos to deal damage free of energy and it's one attack wreak havoc makes it so that you have a bigger chance of having a magikarp in your discard pile.

4' Four out of five stars, since it needs a lot of things so that it can work effectively, making it a luck battle.

5' The artwork is as good as always the raging spirit of the beast and the power of a water tidal wave come out great form this art work. [/font]

259831anna259831

Aspiring Trainer
Its art work is amazing!
The energy use is okay.

I give it 5 stars :D

Please follow the guideline for writing card reviews outlined in the first post. ~Gale

Matryoshka

Hi, I'm a scrub
1. Another card perfectly good on it's own.
2. Gyarados decks. It's not really used with another main Pokemon, as far as I know, but you could.
3. With Feraligatr Prime you can AT LEAST speed it's last attack. With 130 HP it can't last that long for that many energy.
4. I'll give it a 3/5. It's cheap, but it has it's problems. Such as HGSS Raichu.
5. It's OK, it just doesn't pack a punch or anything. It's too dull.

CFOURCOLTSFAN

Aspiring Trainer
1. Well honestly the card works best on its own or paired with Luxray GL LV.X. It can also be paired w/Blissey prime and Dialga G LV.X.
it is obviously one of the best cards out there right now as it wasn't seen much at first but is now a tier one deck.
It isn't that versatile but still is a great card.
My rating would be about 4/5. It still is hurt by spiritomb locks and luxray gl lv.x but overall the best stage one deck right now.
Artwork I love but I think it is a card that looks so much better in RH version.

Nod3

her majesty
Ho ho ho, right. This is the big 'un. let's sum it Up

So, most likely you're gunna get at least yer first attempt to get magikarp in failed. With a free 30(60, or 90) damage, You can smash most basic pokemon.

2 Energies? For that havoc. Yer right. You do 40 damage (surprise surprise!) and have a HUGE chance of discarding at least one card in your opponents deck (impressive, no? :D )

The last attack, can deal a massive low to your opponent. If, say one of their attacks need four energy and another needs three and he has only 3 attached, you can take him (and his other pokemon) out of the game (for at least a turn).

I dunno.
If yer ask me, you can use it with Platinum supreme victors swampert.
{W}{W}{W}{W}{C}
That's my rating. 4/5. Reason: Good, it's a devastating card alright (my question is, who's gunna waste time putting energy ON THAT THING? Rayquazza C only uses 4 energy for final blow up.)

5. How's the artwork?
This artist explained EXACTLY how gyarados is fearsome (Not in words, in pictures. In words he would have to be a poet).

This card is truly a force to be reckoned with.

EDIT: My keyboard is...I fixed the wording up.