Graded Card Problems

Familiar

Make 7up Yours!!!!!!
I heard a story of someone who bought a graded card at a good price because the case was damaged. The buyer lived near the grading company, so they took it in to find how much it would cost to get the case replaced. The company wanted to examine the card before quoting a price. They took the card in back, after a while they came back and said there was some fraud involved with the card (what does that mean?) and they were turning the card over to the authorities. Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Nope.

EDIT: Realized my denial looks kinda sketchy with my sig ad haha. The only grading fraud I know of is when a fake stamped 1st Edition Base Chariard was graded by PSA. As far as I know, it wasn't turned into PSA though and is still in circulation.

Familiar said:
Has anyone heard of anything like this?

I have heard of allegations over the years. They were mainly counterfeiting graded cards and cases, or swapping a graded card in a case with a lower quality card.

Familiar said:
(what does that mean?)

My guess is since they were "turning the card over to the authorities" it is a counterfeit graded card and case.

Sounds sketchy as heck. Do they have the authority to basically steal your property from you just because it's fake? This whole thing sounds off to me.

Reminds me of when I tried to sell my NM-M Zapdos card back in the day. I was at a retailer called GameTraders, they bought/sold Pokemon cards as well as other TCGs, board games and video games.

I brought my folder with me, took the card out of the sleeve and handed it over. The guy takes it in back to examine it further. At this point I should've refused, but I was a kid.

He comes out a few minutes later and says he can only offer me 50 cents as there's a huge crease down the middle. I said it wasn't there when I handed it to him, that he must have done it himself or switched it. He said if I don't want to sell it I can take it and leave.

proddy said:
Reminds me of when I tried to sell my NM-M Zapdos card back in the day. I was at a retailer called GameTraders, they bought/sold Pokemon cards as well as other TCGs, board games and video games.

I brought my folder with me, took the card out of the sleeve and handed it over. The guy takes it in back to examine it further. At this point I should've refused, but I was a kid.

He comes out a few minutes later and says he can only offer me 50 cents as there's a huge crease down the middle. I said it wasn't there when I handed it to him, that he must have done it himself or switched it. He said if I don't want to sell it I can take it and leave.

That was rather irrelevant...

omahanime said:
They were mainly counterfeiting graded cards and cases, or swapping a graded card in a case with a lower quality card.
I have heard of this (as well as the case of a graded card completely falling apart).

If you check the Cert # before making a purchase you will have nothing to worry about.

Back