'Gengar Spirit Link' Card Revealed! [8/22]

Finally we know what these "Spirit Link" cards are! It was so predictable the fact that they could bypass the attack-stop for the M-evolution, but maybe... wasting the possibility to attach any other card to them is not worth it...

Unless they release spirit link cards for other megas, Gengar might be the most playable mega there is (Lucario being the second best)

T2 Mega Gengar-EX seems extremely frightening all of a sudden. A 220-HP beast in conjunction with Dimensional Valley is gonna be scary. I'm thinking Yveltal will still see a good amount of play now that this is a thing. This is a pretty cool mechanic, not gonna lie. I wonder if they'll release other Spirit Link cards for the other Megas.

That's so OP. Don't forget Mega Manetric is in the set. There might be a spirit link for Manetric, but it wouldn't really match the style. It would be weird if they released this card at all in any set if they just started doing it now. Who knows? Maybe Phantom Gate will have every get so far. You know link a phantom gate to all the mega evolutions. I don't think that would happen but I'm just throwing it out there.

Im expecting both Mega Manetric and Gengar spirit links to be in PF, but not the rest of the megas.
It would be wasteful to have 7 different (venasaur, blastoise, charizards, kangaskhan, lucario, and heracross) spirit link cards in a set that doesn't include those cards.
If anything there will be a promotional box (like the pyroar, charizard, lucario, etc.) that will house those possible spirit cards, but I doubt it.

In a whole I liked the idea of megas. Yes the turn rule was annoying, but it was balanced. Why should you be able to easily get up a T2, 230 HP pokemon? Never, thats why. With these cards bypassing the rule it makes megas more like a stage 1, and takes most of the fun of mega evolving out of the game.
That said, this does create a closer relation to the video game that most people were expecting. In the VG, you can only mega evolve once, but it doesn't end your turn. In the TCG, you can do it multiple times, but it ends your turn.
Lastly, this tool card may make a 2-2 masquerain line or tool stripper handy in Gengar decks?

RealSlim said:
Finally we know what these "Spirit Link" cards are! It was so predictable the fact that they could bypass the attack-stop for the M-evolution, but maybe... wasting the possibility to attach any other card to them is not worth it...

You can always use Tool Retriever(Or Scrapper in Extended) and place in another tool, so this card definitely will have an amazing impact in the game. I'm wanting M-Gengar more than ever! :D

AWWW YISSS! MOTHER F'IN GENGAR! I'm so excited for this news, I don't care how bad it does I'm building a M Gengar deck

I don't think this is enough to make him playable. We have so many good tool cards that wasting one on it is a major downside. DO bad we don't have tool scrapper to take it off.

Mr.Muffin said:
I don't think this is enough to make him playable. We have so many good tool cards that wasting one on it is a major downside. DO bad we don't have tool scrapper to take it off.

We have Tool Stripper, which is kind of better because you can just place it into another Gengar, rinse and repeat.

Mr.Muffin said:

We have tool retriever!

Besides that, I don't really see TPCi printing spirit link cards for the already released Megas, as they clearly were not designed with these in mind. Perhaps the future megas will be a bit weaker to compensate for it.

I still don't really see M-Gengar seeing play as it's just so situational, but we'll see. Definitely going to try something fun with this!

Auride said:
Mr.Muffin said:

We have tool retriever!

Besides that, I don't really see TPCi printing spirit link cards for the already released Megas, as they clearly were not designed with these in mind. Perhaps the future megas will be a bit weaker to compensate for it.

I still don't really see M-Gengar seeing play as it's just so situational, but we'll see. Definitely going to try something fun with this!

Forgot that even exist. I can see it being played, but not going to break the meta game like if M Lucario got a Spirit Link.

The interesting thing about this that people aren't seeing is that you don't lose MGengar EX if the tool gets scrapped. MGengar EX is going to be one heck of a versatile card. If Mew's ability was good, MGengar EX's attack is going to be insane.

Can you imagine using G-Booster or a different opponent's Mega EX's attack for a measly psychic and double colorless energy?

That's destructive.

thekoggles said:
Can you imagine using G-Booster or a different opponent's Mega EX's attack for a measly psychic and double colorless energy?

That's destructive.

M Gengar-EX cannot use G-Booster for the same reason that Mew-EX cannot: it's not Genesect-EX's attack. It doesn't belong to Genesect.

Skulblaka_Shur said:
Stop trying to make Mega Gengar happen. I'ts not going to happen.
Why? We don't know half of the cards in Phantom Gate. I wouldn't be surprised if we got more Psychic support. Saying that a card wouldn't be used before you have all the facts isn't the best idea. Especially when that card has a colossal 220 HP and an ok attack.

This card is Zoroark for BW, but Zoroark BW only needed one DCE making him really verstatile. It was so good decks like Donphan/Cincinno/Zoroark were made just to counter other decks in format. M Gengar on its own will never make an impact. It is too unreliable. A lot of decks like , TDK, and Miltank and Friends all destroy him because they all have attacks that require something else. Also he is a EX so in Extended format Zoroark would win the prize exchange.

Mr.Muffin said:
M Gengar on its own will never make an impact.
On its own it wouldn't make an impact; however, with a ton of Psychic support and other attackers it surely could.

Mr.Muffin said:
It is too unreliable. A lot of decks like , TDK, and Miltank and Friends all destroy him because they all have attacks that require something else.
The decks you listed have no way of OHKO'ing M Gengar EX. You wouldn't play straight M Gengar EX. You would have secondary attackers.

Mr.Muffin said:
Also he is a EX so in Extended format Zoroark would win the prize exchange.
Zoroark can only use the attacks of the opponents active Pokemon while M Gengar EX can use benched Pokemon's attacks as well. M Gengar EX also has a heck of a lot more HP than Zoroark.

Back