General Writing Discussion Thread | Current Topic: NaNoWriMo

RE: The Lounge

Am I allowed to edit my entire first post to my story? The whole "show don't tell" thing has been eating at me for a bit and I severely want to change my intro.

Of course you're allowed to edit any post of your story, so as long as the story continues to follow the rules of the Writer's Corner.

If it's not up to the standard you'd like, by all means, go ahead and edit it. I revise my stories all the time even after I post them when things don't feel right. It's not like we're about prohibit people from revising stuff (that'd just be silly).

I'm working on a non-Pokemon story called No Bounds, where 16 year-old Josh Clayton has to transport his girlfriend, Sarah Lawton, half-way across the country to meet up with the only hospital left in the US after a psychic gives her homicidal thoughts, actions, and worst of all, desires... I was wondering on how to elaborate on this brief summary. Any suggestions for inclusions? ~AoH

Side-Topic (hopefully to break the ice): Fan Fiction is okay, but like Arceus of Heaven kind of started on, does anyone else write fiction that isn't based on a pre-existing series, franchise, etc.? I've noticed that Gliscor's fic kind of stands on its own too, so I was wondering if this was going to become somewhat of a growing trend here in the Writer's Corner?

I'd like that. Originality is where great writers blossom. Take that path, instead of another Mystery Dungeon flop. Seriously...
~AoH

I've written a few good short stories and one shots that aren't stemmed off of any sort of franchise, but they're far from perfect. Hopefully after I get to a good point in Gentleman's Society where I can take a break I can work on a couple of side-projects. I have a few good ideas for a short story in mind.

Wait.

Original literature is permissible here? I always believed it had to be congruent with Pokémon... (chuckles) You learn something new everyday.

I have a myriad of old original prose. Sadly, none of these relics shall see the light of day (i.e. they're awful). I haven't written an original snippet [by myself] for years. My creativity has trickled through a scorching drought of lacklustre motivation, so new ideas are far and few in between. Nary a thing I can do with story idea generators, either. I could rewrite an older literary work. Perhaps in time...

@UU: Yep! So long as it's your own, it's allowed. I've actually got some older short stories I've been meaning to post for a while now that have nothing to do with my fandom-related stuff at all. I just haven't gotten around to revising anything yet.

Also...

Take that path, instead of another Mystery Dungeon flop.

In all honesty, I actually enjoyed the PMD games and some fanfics based on them. But I have to kind of agree that a lot of them are flops, which is why a story I started based on the genre is being rewritten to be more of its own action/adventure story that just happens to take place in the PMD world (or worlds, since I kind of spliced the Rescue Team and Explorers settings together).

Even so, I'm actually very glad to see stuff that isn't just Pokemon.

I don't think that I've ever read a good PMD fic. And don't get me started on PMD sprite comics...

Meh, there was one on Pokecommunity I started reading a couple years ago, but I forgot what its title was. Also, there were a couple on a small site I was on some time before that, which originally were RPGs that the writer's modified into full-blown stories. Otherwise, though, I guess you've got a point, Zenith...(and pretty much all sprite comics stink as far as I'm concerned anyways)

In any case, I've been slowly rewriting Biohazard so that it's not really a PMD story anymore as opposed to...something else... Honestly I don't know how to describe it right how since I'm only just redoing the first chapter again.

There's a fairly large number of good sprite comics (8-Bit Theater, Bob and George, A Path to Greater Good, et cetera). There's a much smaller number of good Pokemon sprite comics, and PMD comics are almost universally terrible.

This is mainly directed to Apollo or another mod- I would like to eventually post a thread deadicated to a compiltation of small one shots, journals, poems, and anything else undeserving of its own thread. Many of which most likely will fall below the 1,000 word mark. Would that thread be lockbait, or is that alright?

Considering that I basically wrote the current Writing Corner rules, I'd say it's fine. But you should wait for official word from Apollo.

I would like to eventually post a thread deadicated to a compiltation of small one shots, journals, poems, and anything else undeserving of its own thread. Many of which most likely will fall below the 1,000 word mark. Would that thread be lockbait, or is that alright?

Not at all. So long as you're using it for multiple things, it's allowed. I started one like that back in November, but just gave up on it. Also, my Feral Twilight thread does this same thing with its Ronac Fakedex, and I've never once had a complaint. So long as you're posting more than one thing at a time in it, it's perfectly fine.

I'm about to make a fan fic and the first chapter might not be 1000 words, but I'm also posting a prologue with it, so then it should be over. Is that ok?

So long as your first post altogether is over 1000 words, you should be fine. Later chapters, though, have to be over 1000 words if you don't post them together like the first (which I'd kind of recommend against doing since it usually looks kind of sloppy when people do that outside of the first post, but it's up to you).

Another question, my story has violence. I'm trying not to make it excessive, and I will upgrade to PG-13 if I need to but I do think it's necessary for the story's feel.

I think that it should be fine as long as you don't excessive describe gory scenes. Just bump it up to PG-13 if you think it gets too bad.

Although, really; I don't know about others but I just assume every story in the Writer's Corner is PG-13 already.

Plenty of experience with that, HB. No Bounds, through my rough drafts of the later chapters, is insane.
On a side note, why do so little comments pop up around this forum we have? It seems like we writers just aren't appreciated. Just imo, though. Any thoughts?
~AoH

Back