Gender and Video Games

professorlight

Ice Queen
Okay, back in the pony thread, there was talk about a possible pony videogame, and I expressed my worries about it being too dumb since it was made for little girls, and hope that they make a decent game, based on the adult fanbase, then, I posted this:

professorlight said:
SkyeVictini said:
I must say that I am currently playing the MLP iPhone game and I am simply hooked on it. Sure, its a simple city builder, but I find it so addicting, mainly because you get daily bonuses for each continuous day you play and I can't get enough of building up my Ponyville (probably because I'm a collector in real life - with Pokemon stuff.) And, its very fan-friendly with a lot of popular ponies like DJ-Pon3, Octavia, Lyra, Bon Bon, etc.

But yeah, there is really a bunch load of potential for an MLP video game, I'm on the hopes for an rpg. And I totally agree that video games targeted towards only girls are dumbed down. They really don't think that girls can handle the same kind of depth do they? Imo, anyone who dumbs down anything targeted towards girls just for the sake of making money is an idiot. Not all girls only like fashion and stuff. It used to be that you sold a product to make it memorable in hopes of making money, but nowadays they make money in the hopes that the product is memorable. I mean, look at G3. I mean no offense to any people who happened to be fans of MLP in the before time but compared to FiM, G3 was terrifyingly dumb and was nothing but pink and rainbows and tea parties all around. I'm a girl and I never got into MLP when I was a kid. (Actually, I was far too old to get into G3 anyway when it first came out lol.)

TL;DR I'm really not much of a gamer outside Pokemon and the occaisional Mario game, but I really hope they don't go the same path as some aforementioned video games targeted to girls.

Exactly that. I never got into MLP when I was little, so I was surprised when I found out how good this MLP was, I hope they continue that philosophy with future videogames.

You said you are not a gamer outside of pokemon and some mario, why do you think is that for? you were never attracted to any other videogame? you see, I don't think the sptupidity on girls games is only because the industry is sexist (and, oh boy it is) but it also has to do with the fact that, and I hope I don't offend anyone, usually girls (purely based on observation) don't ask for better games and instead play with whatever casual/boyfriend/fashion/gossip/secret diary/dating flash/cheap shit the developers "graciously" thow at them, or don't play games at all.
I never liked those games, and I've tried them. The only one of those I play is the sims, and that's only because design and fashion. But today, there are many games that, without being specifically marketed or themed around women, are still good to be played by them, since they are not (fully) male-oriented and they don't (completely and overtly) objectify women.

And realized it was a thread-worthy subject, in addition to being extremely interesting (to me, at least), so it would be a shame for it to get lost into the other thread. Sooooo... here it is, What do you people think? is it because the industry is sexist? is it because girls want only "girly" stuff in their games? is it because they don't often give games a chance without a girly gimmick to reel them in? what was first? a sexist industry shaping an audience's taste or an audience's taste shaping a sexist industry? some? all? apple pie?
Soo, discuss, I guess.

RE: Genders and Video Games

Girls like to play games too. Why would they constantly want 'girly' things in 'their' games? I don't always want a muscly space marine in the games I play. A very close friend of mine plays Silent Hill and, like me, loves the first three even though it's not filled with pink flowers, guns that shoot cooties and sleepovers with pillow fights. There are plenty people of both genders that appreciate games that don't try to appeal to a certain sex. If a game does do that, it's usually very bad.

It's ridiculous and stereotypical to say that any girl would want anything drastically different in a video game...unless they're like...8.

RE: Genders and Video Games

Delta said:
Girls like to play games too. Why would they constantly want 'girly' things in 'their' games? I don't always want a muscly space marine in the games I play. A very close friend of mine plays Silent Hill and, like me, loves the first three even though it's not filled with pink flowers, guns that shoot cooties and sleepovers with pillow fights. There are plenty people of both genders that appreciate games that don't try to appeal to a certain sex. If a game does do that, it's usually very bad.

It's ridiculous and stereotypical to say that any girl would want anything drastically different in a video game...unless they're like...8.

Some games seem to cater to both genders nicely (I feel Okami did that, you feel Silent Hill does that). But I do feel most games target boys first (would you agree?). It makes sense from a marketing standpoint. If there is a girly game, most boys won't play it, if there is a boyish game, both girls and boys will play it. (this is also why you usually see a boy winning in a board game ad)

I played this one MMO just because it had gorgeous graphics and had a race made up of girls with cute bunny/fox/cat/etc. ears and tails. I felt they represented my petite body type well while wielding a huge weapon twice my size and were super adorable, I was really excited about it. They kicked ass too.
tera5.jpg

I feel most gaming companies (and superhero comic companies) (and Lego), don't really know what girls want. (that could just be me though) Might be a fun addition to this thread to have girls add what kind of games they'd invent. It could be very similar to the games we have now, just with strong female leads with realistic bodies and perhaps more clothes.
large.jpg

Or it could open up ideas that haven't even been explored before.

I also think some girls don't get into gaming because they haven't been exposed to a lot of good games.

Apparently, I was slightly misunderstood. All the questions up there are completely hypothetical, I'm not trying to point fingers here, just ask questions, and I'm certainly not implying any kind of stereotype (I'm here in violation of, at least, 3 stereotypes, believe me). A part of the phrasing is due to personal experience: I'm the only one I know who plays videogames, and whenever I have the chance I try to educate my boss's young daughter in videogames, so far I only managed to introduce her to mario, but if it's not super mario bros crossover, she rarely plays classic mario, since apparently it is too hard and losing gets boring. so she inmediately goes to flash games of painting nails, dressup and such instead of trying harder (and listening to my damn advice).
In conversations I have with my videogame dealer, it's come up that girls (and grown-up at that) only buy The sims, and 90% of the time don't even know how to install it, that tells me they don't have any experience plaing any kind of videogame, so it's a cultural problem, not only of offer. Younger girls seem to buy almost exclusively dance games or movie inspired games, that, as we know, are of very poor quality, since they are released as tie-ins to their respective movies.

Remember this:
"But today, there are many games that, without being specifically marketed or themed around women, are still good to be played by them, since they are not (fully) male-oriented and they don't (completely and overtly) objectify women."

This is true, actually; I don't buy games where I must play as a man, muscly or not (a personal quirk), and the only exceptions to this are the arkham games, the AC series and the metal gear solid saga, and those games all have extremely good stories, gameplay and quality, and those characters have more than "muscly space marine" to them, so I make exceptions, but my point was more like asking if, in general, girls actually give those games a chance or inmediatley dissmiss them as more manly crap.

I'm not trying to defend the industry here, I hate their collective guts, honestly. Too many games ruined to make them more girl-friendly, but I'm getting serious doubts if girls, as customers, barring those who play good videogames and not just the sims or casual mobile games, really are interested on a bigger impact on the videogames world.

Also, everything lex said.

Video games are more often catered to men because there are more men that play video games. It's been that way from the beginning (actually, I would say back then it was more MORE polarized than it is now). It's not any matter of a total lack of games that would appeal to girls, because a large number of popular game franchises are rather neutral in their approach, particularly Nintendo IPs such as Mario, Pokemon, Kirby, etc. Girls simply, in general, are less likely to enjoy gaming. As an industry, you don't waste time pouring money into products that aren't for your majority demographic.

Inb4 "But I'm a girl and I play games!!": I know. So am I. Take note of the use of "in general" up there.

Before / Climax / After

Why females have lost most of their place in the LoL community.
Quite sad really, because they only furthered the sexism in LoL by being very arrogant, toxic and quite bad at the game really.

I hope some decent female streamers fix their wrongs, its kinda annoying when there's a female player in one of my games and the idiots on my team make her ragequit and cause us to lose :/

I think part of it is a vicious cycle kind of thing, and I think TFW partially alluded to it. Either a bad environment or a bad stereotype is perpetuated (or both), and it scares off a good portion of people from wanting to get interested in it. I'm not saying that gaming is like that, but it can be. More often than not it really just comes down to whether or not people are interested to the first place.

It varies from genre to genre, I think. I'm not going to claim to be an expert on women or anything (because I most certainly am not and probably never will be), but I think that the reason more women don't play video games is because they just don't find that particular series interesting to begin with, and on the flip side, they might find another series interesting because it appeals to them. And this isn't just about women; men are the same way. If you see a game and nothing in it interests you, you are not going to pursue it. Simple as that.

I'm not sure how much more I can say without being either meaningless or regurgitating what other people said, so please accept this picture that may or may not brighten your day:

GirlGamers1.jpg

I don't know about you, but I think balancing a console on your head like that is REALLY impressive.

I don't think the problem is that you have to play as a certain gender. If the game takes that into account and has a reason for the main character being a man or woman then I don't care. I'll sit back. In addition people just may find it easier to write with a man or a woman in mind. But if the game's protagonist just happens to be a guy or just happens to be a girl then whatever. I'll still enjoy it as long as it is, in my opinion, a good game. If I am going off games I have played recently Metal Gear Rising has Raiden as the main character. Change it to a female character and nothing really has changed and it' still crazy badass. Now if we're talking about Metroid: Other M, a great series and example for this thread, that's a different story. That is just a game for people who hate women.

Lex said:
Some games seem to cater to both genders nicely (I feel Okami did that, you feel Silent Hill does that). But I do feel most games target boys first (would you agree?). It makes sense from a marketing standpoint. If there is a girly game, most boys won't play it, if there is a boyish game, both girls and boys will play it. (this is also why you usually see a boy winning in a board game ad)

That's what I'm saying. Most games search for an audience in gender. Most games are bad. Yeah it's smart marketing if you want to appeal to, as I said, an 8 year old but when you're starting to get into your teens then you grow out of it. You start to look at new and old games in different ways. A 16 year old girl wouldn't get...Mary Kate and Ashley Sweet 16 (with lack of a better example)...I hope. But then you take age into account.

Lex said:
I also think some girls don't get into gaming because they haven't been exposed to a lot of good games.

I could honestly see that. Since the industry is so big and opinionated it can be pretty tough deciding which game you may be interested in without much research or experience. I don't want to put anyone down here because I know a lot of people have been playing stuff for decades but without the know-how then it can be a put off.
For example legendary series like MGS gets the same coverage as Call of Duty. One is pretty black and white action and the other has a big story which is situated over many games and many years.

Frezgle said:
Video games are more often catered to men because there are more men that play video games. It's been that way from the beginning (actually, I would say back then it was more MORE polarized than it is now).

I think the gender problem is the same as it is today. There are games that are clearly manly and the games that just go with it and games that had a perfect balance back then.

Frezgle said:
As an industry, you don't waste time pouring money into products that aren't for your majority demographic.

There are some companies that have dabbled in a lot of genres. Atlus for example have developed and published games in Action, RPG, ActionRPG, Puzzle, Graphic Novel. And every series has been drastically different.

Frezgle said:
Girls simply, in general, are less likely to enjoy gaming. As an industry, you don't waste time pouring money into products that aren't for your majority demographic.

All my girls come over and play video games (their daughters too). Whether it's SSB, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Bomberman, etc. Some of them play Skyrim and WOW. Quite a few love those dance games and Rockband. One of my friends has a huge gaming collection (loves the Final Fantasy games especially). Animal Crossing is also a big favorite and SIMS. Only one of them likes shooter games as far as I know. Not to mention all the phone and Facebook games that are so addictive to women of all ages. Even MY MOM used to love Pacman. lol
Lots of my girl friends growing up had gaming systems. I'd go to one friend's house and play Donkey Kong, then another friend's and play Earthbound, then go to another friend's house and play Aladdin or Super Mario World with her and her older sister. But I don't think any of those girls go to gaming conventions or even try to have a voice in the gaming community (including me). Which is a point ProfessorLight brought up in the original post. I'm also pretty sure every girl on this site plays video games, unless they're just into Pokemon for the show, comics, or TCG.

And the industry does waste time and money on girl games, unsuccessfully. They do want that market they're just not quite sure how to get it.

The Fire Wyrm said:
Quite sad really, because they only furthered the sexism in LoL by being very arrogant, toxic and quite bad at the game really.

I hope some decent female streamers fix their wrongs, its kinda annoying when there's a female player in one of my games and the idiots on my team make her ragequit and cause us to lose :/

I've seen guys ragequit, scream, cuss, mess up, suck at a game, be arrogant, and throw a fit if they lose and they don't get any of the overwhelming hate, bitterness, scorn, and unfair treatment that girls who don't do that stuff do.

I've also had someone be an ass to a friend of mine during a dungeon, I stuck up for them so they started being an ass to me too. Then the rest of the group told them to stop being an ass and one by one we all left the group as the person who was being an ass groveled and apologized. That's when I realized how noble gamers could be. ^^

Delta said:
I don't think the problem is that you have to play as a certain gender.
I used to play in this one MMO and an interesting discussion came up. There were boys who were asked why they played female characters. A lot of them agreed that if they wanted to immerse themselves in the game, they'd choose a male character, but if they just want to enjoy the graphics and 'the view', they'd play a female character. It makes me think a lot of games don't allow girls that 'immersion' experience. As a little girl I got really excited when Peach became a playable character in Super Mario Bros 2.

Delta said:
Most games search for an audience in gender. Most games are bad. Yeah it's smart marketing if you want to appeal to, as I said, an 8 year old but when you're starting to get into your teens then you grow out of it. You start to look at new and old games in different ways. A 16 year old girl wouldn't get...Mary Kate and Ashley Sweet 16 (with lack of a better example)...I hope. But then you take age into account.
There is more to girls, then flowers, cooties, sleepovers, pillow fights, Mary Kate and Ashley, boyfriends, fashion, gossip, secret diaries, dating, etc. >_> A game that is made for girls doesn't have to be like that. I don't even know anyone who plays those games, which is probably why those games don't do well which leads to the conclusion that girls are less interested in video games than they are.
If those are the only things that come to mind when you think of what girls are interested in, then you're in the same boat as the poor video game designers.

I don't think anything will change though. Lots of girls are more than content just playing what's available or not playing at all. I've heard of dad's hacking games to make the lead character a female though for their daughters and think it's the sweetest thing ever.

Lex said:
All my girls come over and play video games (their daughters too). Whether it's SSB, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Bomberman, etc. Some of them play Skyrim and WOW. Quite a few love those dance games and Rockband. One of my friends has a huge gaming collection (loves the Final Fantasy games especially). Animal Crossing is also a big favorite and SIMS. Only one of them likes shooter games as far as I know. Not to mention all the phone and Facebook games that are so addictive to women of all ages. Even MY MOM used to love Pacman. lol
Lots of my girl friends growing up had gaming systems. I'd go to one friend's house and play Donkey Kong, then another friend's and play Earthbound, then go to another friend's house and play Aladdin or Super Mario World with her and her older sister. But I don't think any of those girls go to gaming conventions or even try to have a voice in the gaming community (including me). Which is a point ProfessorLight brought up in the original post. I'm also pretty sure every girl on this site plays video games, unless they're just into Pokemon for the show, comics, or TCG.

Not saying you're right or wrong, but I would like to point out that your group of friends is not necessarily representative of girls' role in the industry.

Bolt the Cat said:
Lex said:

Not saying you're right or wrong, but I would like to point out that your group of friends is not necessarily representative of girls' role in the industry.

It's true, my friends throughout my life, my cousins, my family, my in-laws, etc. could all be exceptions. Where I live probably has some impact too (Seattle). I should add: I've had a different experience when it comes to girls (in general) enjoying gaming, just to add another perspective to the conversation. :3

Frezgle said:
Video games are more often catered to men because there are more men that play video games. It's been that way from the beginning (actually, I would say back then it was more MORE polarized than it is now). It's not any matter of a total lack of games that would appeal to girls, because a large number of popular game franchises are rather neutral in their approach, particularly Nintendo IPs such as Mario, Pokemon, Kirby, etc. Girls simply, in general, are less likely to enjoy gaming. As an industry, you don't waste time pouring money into products that aren't for your majority demographic.

Inb4 "But I'm a girl and I play games!!": I know. So am I. Take note of the use of "in general" up there.

You are right, back in the day, girls did played fewer videogames than boys, I think it had more to do with how men are more competitive (a large amount of games were 2 player or arcades) and at certain age, girls came to see that, and by extension, videogames, as childish. When and where I grew up, no girls played pokemon; it was a craze, and many watched the series, but the games were mostly boys's territory (mostly).
Those franchises you mentioned are neutral, yes, but no one should have to divide games into "for girls", "neutral" and "for boys" and choose what to play based on that distinction. Many games have great stories, gameplay and messages, regardless of the demographic. Actually, a big chunk of the games that do have all that, would fall into the "for boys" category, and it's sad for great works of storytelling like MGS, mass effect, or portal to be put on the same place as call of duty 1335, FIFA or dead or alive beach volleyball, because games like those are probably a pretty big cause of women's rejection of the medium.

Delta said:
...Metal Gear Rising has Raiden as the main character. Change it to a female character and nothing really has changed and it' still crazy badass...

How exactly would making raiden a female and nothing changing (being still crazy badass) be good? If you have a character and the gender it is doesn't affect in the slightest the story it is involved in, it's interactions with the world, or with other characters, is it even a good character? That might be OK in an RPG where you can choose your character's gender, but in RPGs the point is precisely that, a character as a blank sheet for the player to inmerse itself in.
When you have a character driven story, where something as huge as changing the character's gender doesn't affect anything, at all, then you don't have a character driven story, you have a bad story. A character's gender determines more than what little armor they can wear, or the size, or lack, of boobs: it implies a worldview, a mindset, a way to approach situations, a way to relate. Describing a female character as just "badass" just objectifies them, puts them is the same place, the same stereotype a a male character would be, the same situation as in saying a male character is delicate, or a Feline (a meow? seriously? I'm trying to have an adult conversation here, for crying out loud! A meow?), in that case it would be stereotyping to the other side, to put them in the place of a common female stereotype.
There's nothing wrong with females being badasses or males being Lots of Felines (C'MON!)
You yourself named metal gear. The Boss is a female, so is Meryl, so is M********* Sniper Wolf, or Olga, and they all kick enormous amounts of ass, but they don't do it as males, they have their motivations, their personalities, all that drives them and makes them great is because they are females, not "in spite of" nor "whatever, just make it a girl", they are well written, and they would not be the same if they were men.
Otacon could be described as a Feline, right? he is pretty coward, when faced with the god damn cyborg ninja the guy locks himself in a locker and pisses himself, hides for all the rest of the game, never sees action, has a quite interesting relationship with snake (they are the best of friends for me, though. Not for others). Would his character be the same if he were a girl? What about mei ling? or naomi? are they Lots of Felines too? or badasses?

And here I come full circle with what frezgle said and what I now ask to delta:
For VG writers, not being sexist is usually "empowering the female" and nothing else, with no thought behind it. "Why do you complain about lara croft being sexist? she's badass! and, well, the twins are in there for the boys to have fun, you understand." That's what they ask when you question them, and the gamers usually learn the same lesson.
When the tomb raider reboot came people raised their voices about its treatment of females for the violence lara was subjected to, for her having second thoughts about the stuff she was forced to do and for other stuff. But, she was excellently written, she was a badass, and she was a woman, she killed, but she felt too, and she was treated by the story the exact same way a man would have been treated. She was hitted, slapped, shot, mauled, broke bones, got punctured by branches, gave up, came back and kicked ass, and she never stopped being her.

But, most girls will never play that excellent game, with so much to teach them because "oh, you shoot things? that's for men." and that's so incredibly sad, since it's a self-perpetuating circle, an ouroboros, so to speak.

Lex said:
I don't think anything will change though. Lots of girls are more than content just playing what's available or not playing at all. I've heard of dad's hacking games to make the lead character a female though for their daughters and think it's the sweetest thing ever.

That is sweet, but only necessary in older games, before character selection became widespread (example, my own hacked copy of pokemon yellow, to play with erika's overworld sprite); now there are so many games that let you choose what you want to be that if inmersion was the only problem, it would be almost fixed by now, and females would have a greater presence in the medium, but it's not, and, although studies show almost a 40 percent of female gamers, most of that are mobile casual games and solitaire.

Lex said:
There is more to girls, then flowers, cooties, sleepovers, pillow fights, Mary Kate and Ashley, boyfriends, fashion, gossip, secret diaries, dating, etc. >_>

That is exactly what I am saying. I am agreeing with you. Video games that focus around that are bad. It's stereotypical and bad design. I agree. Once someone gets to an age where they can really determine what is good and what isn't from an objective standpoint then they realize this.

professorlight said:
Frezgle said:

You are right, back in the day, girls did played fewer videogames than boys, I think it had more to do with how men are more competitive (a large amount of games were 2 player or arcades) and at certain age, girls came to see that, and by extension, videogames, as childish. When and where I grew up, no girls played pokemon; it was a craze, and many watched the series, but the games were mostly boys's territory (mostly).
Those franchises you mentioned are neutral, yes, but no one should have to divide games into "for girls", "neutral" and "for boys" and choose what to play based on that distinction. Many games have great stories, gameplay and messages, regardless of the demographic. Actually, a big chunk of the games that do have all that, would fall into the "for boys" category, and it's sad for great works of storytelling like MGS, mass effect, or portal to be put on the same place as call of duty 1335, FIFA or dead or alive beach volleyball, because games like those are probably a pretty big cause of women's rejection of the medium.

Delta said:
...Metal Gear Rising has Raiden as the main character. Change it to a female character and nothing really has changed and it' still crazy badass...

How exactly would making raiden a female and nothing changing (being still crazy badass) be good? If you have a character and the gender it is doesn't affect in the slightest the story it is involved in, it's interactions with the world, or with other characters, is it even a good character? That might be OK in an RPG where you can choose your character's gender, but in RPGs the point is precisely that, a character as a blank sheet for the player to inmerse itself in.
When you have a character driven story, where something as huge as changing the character's gender doesn't affect anything, at all, then you don't have a character driven story, you have a bad story. A character's gender determines more than what little armor they can wear, or the size, or lack, of boobs: it implies a worldview, a mindset, a way to approach situations, a way to relate. Describing a female character as just "badass" just objectifies them, puts them is the same place, the same stereotype a a male character would be, the same situation as in saying a male character is delicate, or a meow (a meow? seriously? I'm trying to have an adult conversation here, for crying out loud! A meow?), in that case it would be stereotyping to the other side, to put them in the place of a common female stereotype.
There's nothing wrong with females being badasses or males being lots of meowing (C'MON!)
You yourself named metal gear. The Boss is a female, so is Meryl, so is M********* Sniper Wolf, or Olga, and they all kick enormous amounts of ass, but they don't do it as males, they have their motivations, their personalities, all that drives them and makes them great is because they are females, not "in spite of" nor "whatever, just make it a girl", they are well written, and they would not be the same if they were men.
Otacon could be described as a meow, right? he is pretty coward, when faced with the god damn cyborg ninja the guy locks himself in a locker and pisses himself, hides for all the rest of the game, never sees action, has a quite interesting relationship with snake (they are the best of friends for me, though. Not for others). Would his character be the same if he were a girl? What about mei ling? or naomi? are they lots of meowing too? or badasses?

And here I come full circle with what frezgle said and what I now ask to delta:
For VG writers, not being sexist is usually "empowering the female" and nothing else, with no thought behind it. "Why do you complain about lara croft being sexist? she's badass! and, well, the twins are in there for the boys to have fun, you understand." That's what they ask when you question them, and the gamers usually learn the same lesson.
When the tomb raider reboot came people raised their voices about its treatment of females for the violence lara was subjected to, for her having second thoughts about the stuff she was forced to do and for other stuff. But, she was excellently written, she was a badass, and she was a woman, she killed, but she felt too, and she was treated by the story the exact same way a man would have been treated. She was hitted, slapped, shot, mauled, broke bones, got punctured by branches, gave up, came back and kicked ass, and she never stopped being her.

But, most girls will never play that excellent game, with so much to teach them because "oh, you shoot things? that's for men." and that's so incredibly sad, since it's a self-perpetuating circle, an ouroboros, so to speak.

Sometimes gender of the character doesn't matter. A personality can be placed onto any sex and still be believable. The Metal Gear series doesn't deal with gender roles in the slightest. If Raiden had a trait that defined him as male or at any point in the story his gender came into consideration then yes that should be developed and would cement him as a male protagonist. However just because Rising doesn't acknowledge the fact that Raiden is a man in some way doesn't mean that he is a bad or badly developed character. It just means his gender doesn't mean anything in the grand scope of things. He is practically a machine. He almost has no gender anyway and he is certainly not a two dimensional character.

I also disagree with you on the blank slate of characters in RPGs. I do like the character personality building nature such as Mass Effect or Deus Ex but some others have incredible characters and writing. My favourite game, Final Fantasy VI, has the greatest character developments of any game I have played and that contains hours of backstory for every character. More recent RPGs like the indie Breath of Death VII has a protagonist that's funny and has a personality yet he can't talk. Saying that every protagonist in an RPG has a blank slate is wrong. Some games are there to tell a story and RPGs are the best genre to do that in.

In a lot of cases then I agree that if the gender of a character doesn't come into play then it may not be good writing. A female character would perhaps approach a situation differently than a male but that all depends on her as a character. What if both of the people we are talking about insanely brave? What if they are both incredibly timid? Sex isn't the only deciding factor here. However it is in places where they may be discriminated against just as an example. That would allow for character building that bases itself around that issue and it would be important to the gender of those characters.

I have said above that I agree that not all genders can be switched with all characters. The Boss is a mother figure to Big Boss. Meryl wants to prove herself to Campbell. Sniper Wolf is a love interest. Fortune is Lady Luck. The four bosses in MGS 4 are meant to be Sirens. Yeah, Kojima never writes two dimensional characters (which is what is really annoying me with everyone saying that Quiet barely has any clothes simply for the sex appeal).
I don't know where on earth you thought that 'meowing' could be used as an adjective but I'll try to answer as best I can. Otacon acted reasonably and later with logic and thought. I don't know about you but I'd barely be able to stand after a robot ninja broke in, literally showered the halls with my co-workers blood and came strolling towards me twirling his electric sword. He didn't hide away for the rest of the game he helped Snake while he was cloaked because he wasn't a legendary soldier like Snake. He isn't cowardly, he just doesn't know how to fight robot ninjas and so tried to get away. I see no problem with that.

I never showed any interest in Tomb Raider. I can't say anything really opinionated since I know very little but from what I saw the new games gave Lara a solid personality and made her a strong lead rather than previous games. I must play the reboot at some point.

tl;dr
Just because a gender can be interchangeable with no extensive impact on the plot doesn't necessarily mean that it is a bad or badly written character. However I do believe that a character cemented in their gender makes for better writing overall.

Delta said:
Sometimes gender of the character doesn't matter. A personality can be placed onto any sex and still be believable. The Metal Gear series doesn't deal with gender roles in the slightest. If Raiden had a trait that defined him as male or at any point in the story his gender came into consideration then yes that should be developed and would cement him as a male protagonist. However just because Rising doesn't acknowledge the fact that Raiden is a man in some way doesn't mean that he is a bad or badly developed character. It just means his gender doesn't mean anything in the grand scope of things. He is practically a machine. He almost has no gender anyway and he is certainly not a two dimensional character.

I haven't played rising, so I don't really know how much raiden became a cyborg, perhaps in this particular case, gender doesn't matter, if he is now so much of a machine, but in other cases, gender does define (or it should) the character.

Delta said:
I also disagree with you on the blank slate of characters in RPGs. I do like the character personality building nature such as Mass Effect or Deus Ex but some others have incredible characters and writing. My favourite game, Final Fantasy VI, has the greatest character developments of any game I have played and that contains hours of backstory for every character. More recent RPGs like the indie Breath of Death VII has a protagonist that's funny and has a personality yet he can't talk. Saying that every protagonist in an RPG has a blank slate is wrong. Some games are there to tell a story and RPGs are the best genre to do that in.

I meant player character, my mistake. In most RPGs with a heavy emphasis on player decision the PC is a blank slate, as much as possible without derailing the story but yes, the other characters are usually well developed and with personality, I agree.

Delta said:
In a lot of cases then I agree that if the gender of a character doesn't come into play then it may not be good writing. A female character would perhaps approach a situation differently than a male but that all depends on her as a character. What if both of the people we are talking about insanely brave? What if they are both incredibly timid? Sex isn't the only deciding factor here. However it is in places where they may be discriminated against just as an example. That would allow for character building that bases itself around that issue and it would be important to the gender of those characters.

Yes, many times, a female character can approach a situation the same way as a male one; bravery is not gender exclusive, nor is badassitude, or shyness, or everything else; the problem is when a character has only those traits that can be completely linked to only one gender stereotype without any supporting reason behind it, say, a woman that just wrecks everything just because, or a guy who can't fight for his life and it's utterly useless, just because.
That's the same critic many have to classics as the legend of zelda or super mario bros: the "damsel in distress" character who is captured and is completely useless and just waits for the hero to rescue her. That's true, those characters are not characters, they are just plot devices, without any value, and that's a product of the time those games were made, during the infancy of the medium. Those particular franchises are now far from those days, luckily.

Delta said:
I have said above that I agree that not all genders can be switched with all characters. The Boss is a mother figure to Big Boss. Meryl wants to prove herself to Campbell. Sniper Wolf is a love interest. Fortune is Lady Luck. The four bosses in MGS 4 are meant to be Sirens. Yeah, Kojima never writes two dimensional characters (which is what is really annoying me with everyone saying that Quiet barely has any clothes simply for the sex appeal).
I don't know where on earth you thought that 'meowing' could be used as an adjective but I'll try to answer as best I can. Otacon acted reasonably and later with logic and thought. I don't know about you but I'd barely be able to stand after a robot ninja broke in, literally showered the halls with my co-workers blood and came strolling towards me twirling his electric sword. He didn't hide away for the rest of the game he helped Snake while he was cloaked because he wasn't a legendary soldier like Snake. He isn't cowardly, he just doesn't know how to fight robot ninjas and so tried to get away. I see no problem with that.

Yeah, I heard those things about quiet, I can't wait to see their faces when her no doubt impressive backstory is revealed.
Meow is the automatically censored replacement of a common expeletive to define a small female cat, or a certain body part, or, derisevely used, a coward.
Otacon did act reasonably when confronted with cyborg ninja, and he did helped snake as much as he could, but, in a medium where the most common thing is that any man is an awesome murder machine, a man that doesn't fight would be, for many (not for me, though), a Feline (Again, small female cat or certain body part). The fact that otacon's actions make sense and are not done just because are a sign of how good his character is, to me.

Delta said:
I never showed any interest in Tomb Raider. I can't say anything really opinionated since I know very little but from what I saw the new games gave Lara a solid personality and made her a strong lead rather than previous games. I must play the reboot at some point.

I never played any tomb raider until the reboot, too, so play it, it's awesome.

Delta said:
tl;dr
Just because a gender can be interchangeable with no extensive impact on the plot doesn't necessarily mean that it is a bad or badly written character. However I do believe that a character cemented in their gender makes for better writing overall.

Agreed.

professorlight said:
Describing a female character as just "badass" just objectifies them, puts them is the same place, the same stereotype a a male character would be... but they don't do it as males, they have their motivations, their personalities, all that drives them and makes them great is because they are females...For VG writers, not being sexist is usually "empowering the female" and nothing else, with no thought behind it.
Yes! THIS.

Delta said:
Yeah, Kojima never writes two dimensional characters (which is what is really annoying me with everyone saying that Quiet barely has any clothes simply for the sex appeal).

"Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima recently revealed on Twitter that he aims to make one of his characters in The Phantom Pain more "erotic" to encourage cosplay and increased sales on figurines."

"Halo designer David Ellis took issue with the depiction of Quiet, calling the character design "disgusting" and evidence that the game industry is "full of man babies.""

That's hilarious. I don't really have an opinion on it, except her design doesn't entice me to play the games. This might've though. ;D
metal_gear_solid_v__big_quiet_boss_xd_by_zombiesandwich-d6lio0e.jpg
jk

Lex said:
"Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima recently revealed on Twitter that he aims to make one of his characters in The Phantom Pain more "erotic" to encourage cosplay and increased sales on figurines."

"Halo designer David Ellis took issue with the depiction of Quiet, calling the character design "disgusting" and evidence that the game industry is "full of man babies.""

tumblr_mss381j0QA1sorormo1_500.png

uh-huh
Don't even put a Halo developer in same league as an experienced game director.

Delta said:
Lex said:

tumblr_mss381j0QA1sorormo1_500.png

uh-huh
Don't even put a Halo developer in same league as an experienced game director.

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/375207199468830720

He knows who his target audience is ;) Go ahead and PM me when his 'secret reason' is revealed and we'll talk. I really don't know why people are freaking out though, this is not new.

I think that, for now, we must give kojima the benefit of the doubt. He has done some questionable stuff, but in the flipside, his female characters always have substance and are well rounded. I actually consider the guy as the (for now) only auteur in the world of videogames. And the MGS series as the rambo (at least the first one) of videogames, both in theme and in message.

The guy is buttf*** crazy, though. But sometimes, is a good kind of crazy. like dalí kind of crazy. But after seeing that twitter picture, I understand your doubts.

Even though I haven't played halo, I know it doesn't even come close to any MGS in any aspect: while MGS and kojima practically defined the stealth-action genre, halo is the spearhead of the recent avalanche of brainless FPS, that, in many cases, bred and educated those people saying person (goddamnit) (GOD F****** DAMNIT, autocorrect!) things into kojima's account.
For extra Halo reference, just GIS "cortana". Or don't; keep your sanity.

Original Quote:
Don't care if this gets me in trouble. This character design is disgusting. Our industry should be better than this.
Industry full of man babies. Ugh.
As a girl, I have to admit, I find that cute. I don't play Halo. I don't know anything about this guy. But just to hear someone say that makes me feel a little better. Kind of like how my older brothers did some crazy stuff, but they were always protective of me and made me feel I was worth something.

I find the comments on various articles and retweets interesting.
"So he wanted her to be sexy. So what? I want her to be sexy too. Make the hero good looking. I sure as hell don't wanna look at some hideous chudd for 20-30 hours."

Removed - Delta

"Startling revelation: Kojima informs the internet that adults like pornography. The name "Adult Content" was not ironic afterall."

"Ahahah someone told this guy [David Ellis] to shut the *** up, maybe Microsoft doesn`t want any more negative press.
[they quoted David Ellis's tweet]'Currently learning to keep my head down and be quiet.'"

"She looks hot… Even my wife says she looks hot. Her garb isn’t exactly battlefield practical but this is an imaginary game and these characters are a figment of the creators imagination."

"Imo, practicality is bullshit. Decency is bullshit."

"...every metal gear since metal gear solid 1 had a scantily clad woman or a barely clothed woman LOLOLOLOLOLOL"

"Personally… I think, it’s MGS. I’d be more surprised if there weren’t some overly sexualised female and male characters running around."

"Much as I like what Kojima makes, I think erotic, even if he didn’t mean to use that exact word, is more accurate. He originally wanted the B&B Corps to be naked when they got down to what is now plugsuit phase, and also originally wanted to have a sex scene between Naomi and Otacon in the helicopter rather than just suggesting it."

Removed - Delta

Along with some other comments like 'people who think she needs more clothes are sexually repressed' and 'people that think she's inappropriately dressed are secretly objectifying her, not us'.

Apparently there are people out there screaming she's a whore, haven't found them yet though.

I think people are missing the point though, it's not the fact that she's scantily clad, though they may have shocked some people at first, it's not enough to cause an uproar. It's Kojima's original comments on the subject imo.

Honestly though, the more I read, the less I care. I just kind of...shut down. I'm going to go back to my game with fat little plumbers and a pretty princess wearing a pink dress.

Some moron said:
"Imo, practicality is bullshit. Decency is bullshit."

Intelligence is bullshit.

innaccurate dimwit said:
"...every metal gear since metal gear solid 1 had a scantily clad woman or a barely clothed woman LOLOLOLOLOLOL"

I'm sorry, have we played the same games? or did you managed to get your sticky hands into the coveted MGS XXX edition?
With LOLOLOLOLOLOL, he just told us everything we need to know about him.

pseudointellectual jackoff said:
"Personally… I think, it’s MGS. I’d be more surprised if there weren’t some overly sexualised female and male characters running around."

How exactly is sexualisation a reasonable feature in a game critiquing war is lost to me.

pseudointellectual jackoff said:
"people who think she needs more clothes are sexually repressed".

People who think she has too much clothes need to be more sexually repressed.

Feminists for men said:
"people that think she's inappropriately dressed are secretly objectifying her, not us'".

"We, on the other hand, are overtly objectifying her."

Lex said:
Honestly though, the more I read, the less I care. I just kind of...shut down. I'm going to go back to my game with fat little plumbers and a pretty princess wearing a pink dress.

Can't blame you, don't watch the anita sarkeesian videos, then, they will only bring pain.

Back