Garbodor and the death of Eelzone?

Nigel

Extra Spicy
Garbodor - Psychic - HP100
Stage 1 - Evolves from Trubbish

Ability: Dust Toxin
As long as this Pokemon has a Pokemon Tool card attached to it, ignore all Abilities printed on any cards in either player's field, hand, or discard pile (excluding any Dust Toxins).

[P][P][C] Sludge Toss: 60 damage.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 3

I'm pretty sure that this card, from the new Dragon Blast set, will make Eelektrik absolutely useless. They can't Dynamotor at all, making it lose almost instantly. The only problem I can see with this card is the fact that is is Psychic type (has a weakness to Mewtwo), and could be catcher bait because of the low 100 HP. This could be fixed by combining Vileplume with it, maybe in The Truth?

What do you guys think of this card? Do you think it will see play? How? Will this be the death of Eelzone?

No, it will not be the death of Eelektrik based decks. Players will simply tech this card to counter Garbodor (if anyone is not aware, this card discards two of your opponent's Item Tool cards in play.) Furthermore, they can simply Catcher KO it and take an easy prize off of it. Yeah, you could argue to play it with Vileplume, but the 100 HP is also the perfect target for a Raikou EX snipe, and then the Eels can function again.

It seems good in theory, but I don't think it will see much play.

Actually, it says to ignore all abilities, not prevent them from being used. Therefore, only cards such as Sigilyph would be affected, not Eelektrik.

^No, that isn't how it works, because first off, Abilities are different from Poke-Powers and Poke-Bodies, so Vileplume is unaffected. I'm almost positive Eelektrik still doesn't work in that case. But still, it isn't the death of Eel decks.

I would love to play this card in The Truth, it would be easy to put Large Cloak on it so it stays out of sniping range of Raikou. But Garbordor cancles Reuniclus' Ability, defeating the purpose of the deck.
And the next format will most likely be something like BW on where we only have Abilities, no Poke-Powers or Poke-Bodies. So no Vileplume.

No Eelzone has not seen the last of its days, expecially with Zekrom EX and the future Raikou EX. Magnezone will be rotated soon, but Lightning-type decks will stick around for a while.

Um...Catcher is still going to exist when Gardobor comes out. And we'll get Tool Scrapper...Garbodor is only a threat if you run neither of those cards...

The only Trainer Lock around when Garbador gets in format will be
1) Gothitelle, who's ability will be locked by Garbador, so it's pointless.
2) Zebstrika, who can only function as long as he is attacking and active, and his HP and damage output are too little to make it very powerful with Garbador, especially to little to kill off all eel decks.
Eels are not dead, and they wont be dead probably as long as they are in format.

Zebstrika kills EelZone cause it relies too much on Rare Candy for Magnezone while ZekEel gets around it easily because it relies a bit less on Trainers to get around Disconnect. Lightning Crash says hi to a benched Magneton. As far as Trainer Lock goes Vileplume and Gothitelle aren't viable anymore, the format is just too fast and competitive right now.

The only deck that would kill Eels permanently is Quad Terrakion but it's huge downside is that Terrakion is a horrible Basic to open the game with as much as Mewtwo EX is and you need to constantly use Celebration Wind with Shaymin UL and Exp. Share to make good use of it, let alone Switch to bail out any Terrakion you have for another one.

So basically EelZone was already dead before States, nobody didn't know about it until they played it out either on PTCGO or the real McCoy. Zekrom EX is still a bad option to run in EelZone with Durant in the format and Heatmor isn't a good enough answer to it when it's a dead card in every other matchup, plus Durant isn't that hard to beat. People who say they can't beat Durant obviously suck in this format.

Card Slinger J said:
Zebstrika kills EelZone cause it relies too much on Rare Candy for Magnezone while ZekEel gets around it easily because it relies a bit less on Trainers to get around Disconnect. Lightning Crash says hi to a benched Magneton. As far as Trainer Lock goes Vileplume and Gothitelle aren't viable anymore, the format is just too fast and competitive right now.

The only deck that would kill Eels permanently is Quad Terrakion but it's huge downside is that Terrakion is a horrible Basic to open the game with as much as Mewtwo EX is and you need to constantly use Celebration Wind with Shaymin UL and Exp. Share to make good use of it, let alone Switch to bail out any Terrakion you have for another one.

So basically EelZone was already dead before States, nobody didn't know about it until they played it out either on PTCGO or the real McCoy. Zekrom EX is still a bad option to run in EelZone with Durant in the format and Heatmor isn't a good enough answer to it when it's a dead card in every other matchup, plus Durant isn't that hard to beat. People who say they can't beat Durant obviously suck in this format.

I played google at States this weekend and got 6th. There was another google that got in Top 8. There were also two other google' that got into the Top 4, and for all I know one might have won. The other decks in Top 8 were almost all EelZone.

Neither trainer lock nor EelZone are dead, I can tell you that. You just need to have a very good and very consistent build to keep up with the speed of the format.

EDIT: Also, Quad Terrakion doesn't even always win against ZekEels. They can just go agro Mewtwo with Eviolite, and unless the Quad Bull player can draw into the 1-2 Black Belts they play, that's the game right there. (and btw, Terrakion is the best starter, as it is the only starter)

alexmf2 said:
I played google at States this weekend and got 6th. There was another google that got in Top 8. There were also two other google' that got into the Top 4, and for all I know one might have won. The other decks in Top 8 were almost all EelZone.

Neither trainer lock nor EelZone are dead, I can tell you that. You just need to have a very good and very consistent build to keep up with the speed of the format.

I've tried to build the most consistent EelZone decklist available and it still couldn't keep up with the speed of the format cause of what was being played in my metagame being CMT, Durant, Zebstrika, and most decks I've seen didn't run google or hardly any Stage 2's.

Quad Terrakion and Donphan in particular is gaining popularity again, Max Potion makes Donphan an indestructible power house especially when it's hard to tech in an Articuno ND to counter it when Mewtwo EX is usually the better option (but not the best)for other matchups overall. Tornadus EX should help Eels make a comeback at least.

alexmf2 said:
EDIT: Also, Quad Terrakion doesn't even always win against ZekEels. They can just go agro Mewtwo with Eviolite, and unless the Quad Bull player can draw into the 1-2 Black Belts they play, that's the game right there. (and btw, Terrakion is the best starter, as it is the only starter)

You don't say, and here I thought Landorus is the best Starter for Terrakion, really Abundant Harvest is a great attack for setting up Terrakion not to mention the use of Exp. Share transferring energies besides running Shaymin for Celebration Wind. It kind of makes it a bit hard for ZekEels to focus on just one Type Advantage counter since Landorus and Terrakion have different Weaknesses.

Ruins of Alph could very well be the death of Eel decks in general however Terrakion and Donphan players are afraid of running it because of getting Counter Stadiumed by Skyarrow Bridge. Some people probably prefer Switch over Skyarrow however If Ruins of Alph does become a threat expect more Skyarrow.

Card Slinger J said:
I've tried to build the most consistent EelZone decklist available and it still couldn't keep up with the speed of the format cause of what was being played in my metagame being CMT, Durant, Zebstrika, and most decks I've seen didn't run google or hardly any Stage 2's.

Quad Terrakion and Donphan in particular is gaining popularity again, Max Potion makes Donphan an indestructible power house especially when it's hard to tech in an Articuno ND to counter it when Mewtwo EX is usually the better option (but not the best)for other matchups overall. Tornadus EX should help Eels make a comeback at least.

You don't say, and here I thought Landorus is the best Starter for Terrakion, really Abundant Harvest is a great attack for setting up Terrakion not to mention the use of Exp. Share transferring energies besides running Shaymin for Celebration Wind. It kind of makes it a bit hard for ZekEels to focus on just one Type Advantage counter since Landorus and Terrakion have different Weaknesses.

Ruins of Alph could very well be the death of Eel decks in general however Terrakion and Donphan players are afraid of running it because of getting Counter Stadiumed by Skyarrow Bridge. Some people probably prefer Switch over Skyarrow however If Ruins of Alph does become a threat expect more Skyarrow.

Terrakion and Terrakion Landorus are different decks. They use the same concept, but T/L is faster, but less consistent.

Card Slinger J said:
I've tried to build the most consistent EelZone decklist available and it still couldn't keep up with the speed of the format cause of what was being played in my metagame being CMT, Durant, Zebstrika, and most decks I've seen didn't run google or hardly any Stage 2's.You just need a very consistent list. The only way to combat early game rush is to go max consistency.

Quad Terrakion and Donphan in particular is gaining popularity again, Max Potion makes Donphan an indestructible power house especially when it's hard to tech in an Articuno ND to counter it when Mewtwo EX is usually the better option (but not the best)for other matchups overall. Tornadus EX should help Eels make a comeback at least. ...What? Eels has no need whatsoever for a "comeback," they are already arguably the BDIF alongside MTC. Also, I actually don't find the Donphan matchup very hard at all, you can just load a bunch of energy on Mewtwo and use Zekrom EX to clean up.

You don't say, and here I thought Landorus is the best Starter for Terrakion, really Abundant Harvest is a great attack for setting up Terrakion not to mention the use of Exp. Share transferring energies besides running Shaymin for Celebration Wind. It kind of makes it a bit hard for ZekEels to focus on just one Type Advantage counter since Landorus and Terrakion have different Weaknesses. I consider Quad Terrakion much better than Lando Terrakion, Landorus is completely useless after the first turn. And again, like Donphan, ZekEels needs no counter to Quad Terrakion. It is such an extreme powerhouse of a deck that even Quad Terrakion, a deck with every advantage thinkable, is still no more than 65-35.

Ruins of Alph could very well be the death of Eel decks in general however Terrakion and Donphan players are afraid of running it because of getting Counter Stadiumed by Skyarrow Bridge. Some people probably prefer Switch over Skyarrow however If Ruins of Alph does become a threat expect more Skyarrow. Now you have me stumped. Most of the Pokemon in ZekEels don't even have a resistance...

Replies in bold.

Garbodor isn't the end. Why you ask? Here:

Vs. Eel varients: Raikou EX. Enough said.

Raikou-EX – Lightning – HP170
Basic Pokemon

[L][C] Thunder Fang: 30 damage. Flip a coin, if heads, the Defending Pokemon is now Paralyzed.
[L][[L][C] Voltage Arrow: Discard all Lightning Energy from this Pokemon. This attack does 100 damage to one of your opponent’s Pokemon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance when damaging the Bench.)

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Retreat: 1

Vs. ReshiBoar/TyRam

If the opponent doesn't play Vileplume, then all you need to do is Catcher up the Garbodor and OHKO it with either Reshiram or Reshiram EX. If they do, then tech in a Ninetails from DB.

Ninetales – Fire – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Vulpix

Ability: Bright Look
You can use this ability 1 time, when you play this card from your hand to Evolve a Pokemon. Choose 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon and switch it with his or her Active Pokemon.

[R] Cursed Flame: 20+ damage. Does 50 more damage for each Special Condition on the Defending Pokemon.

Weakness: Water (x2)
Retreat: 1

Vs. ChandePlume

This deck relies on Chandelure's Ability to deal damage. However, if you tech in some of the ND Chandelure, Garbodor isn't that much of a problem anymore.

Vs. CMT (Celebi, Mewtwo EX, Tornadus.)(not Country Music Television :p

We have a problem here. Anything that applies to all Abilities also goes for Poke(Powers/Bodies). Since the typical CMT deck doesn't have anything to Snipe, you had better hope the opponent doesn't play Vileplume. Even if they aren't, you got to hope that you get your Catchers early and your Tornadus and Mewtwos ready early as well.

Vs. The Truth

This deck's maid structure is reliant on Reuniclus' Ability, Damage Swap. You can usually Catcher up Garbodor with various pokes (unless, like I keep saying, the opponent plays Vileplume).

Those are pretty much the decks of the current format that rely on Abilities. I'll have to look back ad the other unreleased sets to see what else might have "problems," but that should be it.

I am pretty sure that abbilities and poke bodies/powers are completely different. Although I do agree that garbador is no where near the end of eels and it probably won't be played and if it does, raikou EX+snipe, pretty cut and dry stuff. Just sayin'

Red Striker said:
Garbodor isn't the end. Why you ask? Here:

Vs. Eel varients: Raikou EX. Enough said.

Vs. ReshiBoar/TyRam

If the opponent doesn't play Vileplume, then all you need to do is Catcher up the Garbodor and OHKO it with either Reshiram or Reshiram EX. If they do, then tech in a Ninetails from DB.

Vs. ChandePlume

This deck relies on Chandelure's Ability to deal damage. However, if you tech in some of the ND Chandelure, Garbodor isn't that much of a problem anymore.

Vs. CMT (Celebi, Mewtwo EX, Tornadus.)(not Country Music Television :p

We have a problem here. Anything that applies to all Abilities also goes for Poke(Powers/Bodies). Since the typical CMT deck doesn't have anything to Snipe, you had better hope the opponent doesn't play Vileplume. Even if they aren't, you got to hope that you get your Catchers early and your Tornadus and Mewtwos ready early as well.

Vs. The Truth

This deck's maid structure is reliant on Reuniclus' Ability, Damage Swap. You can usually Catcher up Garbodor with various pokes (unless, like I keep saying, the opponent plays Vileplume).

Those are pretty much the decks of the current format that rely on Abilities. I'll have to look back ad the other unreleased sets to see what else might have "problems," but that should be it.

Problem with these matchups? Garbodor is coming out when Celebi, Typhlosion, and Vileplume are rotated. Bye Bye Tyram, Truth, ChandyPlume (Chandy in general- no dodrio) and MTC. Also, Garbodor, with enough consistency can beat Raikou EX. With what you ask? Hmmmm.... catcher.....crushing hammer.....Hp +20 scarf or rescue scarf.....Terrakion..... Also, Garbodor will most likely be paired with Zebstrika because they are the best lock next format has (other than Gothitelle which is dead). Zebstrika + techs can stall raikou long enough, and, if they do KO Garbodor, Its a stage one, so its easy to have consistant Garbodor as long as you play a large quantity of tools to attach to Garbodor.

Back