First Teaser Info for S6 'Silver Lance' and 'Jet-Black Spirit!'

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
That's definitely one of the camps I've seen for it. I mean, I'll be honest, I love Charizard, I love collecting Charizard, but I definitely see some of the exhaustion for it and Pokemon using it as a crutch for abysmal sets like Champion's Path (I like cards in that set, but we can all admit it was thrown together sloppily). So I get it, but I think there's a balance to be made between blind outrage every time one sees a Charizard and being disappointed in how Pokemon handles it. Definitely ways to not rely on it, and I think stuff like Rainbow Rares existing is really part of what made the issue worse, so while I do think some of the hatred to it is a bit much, I also do see where lots of people come from in their frustrations.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Ever since their introduction in S&M, I never undesrstood RRs, I always thought they were extremely tacky, plus, who thought it was a good idea to take color, one of the most crucial and sometimes defining characteristic of artworks, and just make so that every card shares the exact same color pattern, making they all look the same. Mind-boggling. Another thing that has absolutely no appeal to me is the completely gold cards, as everything visual related, they're a bit better than they were in S&M, but the gold cards from the B&W and X&Y eras are infinitely superior designs imo, much more classy.

105.jpg

D_NQ_NP_750397-MLB28552920076_112018-W.jpg

Macke

Master of deckbuilding
The card design for the tools doing +30 to X type is terrible. It’s for the most part useless and is the wrong way of trying to counter things.

Also Metagross Vmax: Prepare yourself to get stomped by me in the future because I WILL make it work, I promise

Last edited:

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
At this point does anyone actually know for a fact when will rotation happen? Will it be like, Chilling Reign comes out, we get 3 months with S&M stuff, and rotation happens with the release of whatever is the set after CR?

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
The card design for the tools doing +30 to X type is terrible! It’s for the most part useless and is the wrong way of trying to counter things.

Also Metagross Vmax: prepare yourself to get stomped by me in the future: I WILL make it work, I promise

Yeah, not a fan of those either. And Metagross looks pretty solid to me, doesn't look like it's gonna be much of a task to make it work lol

Platinum Espresso

Falinks Fanatic
My first thought is that I want to build a RS Metagross VMax deck and a SS Tauros deck, since they both have exceptional support thanks to their architypes (is that the right term for RS/SS?) and type specific stuff. My second thought is that Shadow Calyrex VMax is an instant threat thanks to Cresselia, Gardevoir and Fog Crystal.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Ledyba/Ledian - bland. 1/1
  • Celebi V/VMAX - better if searches 2 cards than Pokemon alone. 2/3-4
  • Seedot/Nuzleaf/Shiftry - it's still awkward as a stage 2. 2/3
  • Snover/Abomasnow - extra HP on SS mons can pull some tricks in your deck. 3/4
  • Dwebble/Crustle - bland. 2/2
  • Grookey/Thwackey/Rillaboom - I don't like it. 2-3/2-3/2-3
  • Castforms - I need ways to T1 this thing, given the fact that these ain't KO Vmax bois. 3-4
  • Litleo/Pyroar - bland. 1/1
  • Volcanion V - 250 + 20 = 270 before any SS stuff applied. Too bad there's no welder to support this thing. 3-4
  • Scorbunny/Raboot/Cinderace - I love this as a Mustard Fodder. 3/3/4-5
  • Psyduck/Golduck - bland. 1/1
  • Lapras - bland and pointless. 2-3
  • Sneasel/Weavile - too awkward to make this work. 3/3
  • Snorunt/Froslass - good for fueling a 2 energy stkr turn 1. Scoop Up Net is there to loop it. 3/4
  • Spheal/Sealeo/Walrein - bland. 2/2/2
  • Luvdisc - better than Wishiwashi as a budget T1 Frontman? 3
  • Bergmite/Avalugg - bland. 2/2
  • Tympole/Palpitoad/Seismitoad - bland. 2/2/2
  • Tapu Fini - RS decks could have some decent single-prizer. 3
  • Arctovish V - who cares? this won't be in this set anyway. 3-4
  • Mareep/Flaaffy/Ampharos - bland. 2/2/2-3
  • Blitzle/Zebstrika - giving your opponent AFK (A free KO). 3/3
  • Emolga - mega bland 2099. No surprise it was a rare card. 0
  • Zeraora V - fuel 2 Zeraora and you can have a good RS deck. 4
  • G.Slowpoke/G.Slowbro - 3
  • Gastly/Haunter/Gengar - no Triple Accel and UNB Gastly mean no good. 1/1/3 "Parting Gift" is the cooler ability name.
  • Drowzee/Hypno - I don't like this as a pair for Weepinbell. 3/3
  • Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir/Gallade - Gardevoir Gallade deck from 2007 might return, but better. If we can T1 Kirlias, Gardevoir deserves 5 Geodudes. Gallade also a slayah! against Vs. 2/4/5-5
  • Sableye - again, dude, wanna AFK? 3
  • Shuppet/Banette - too bad, you cannot use SS energy and can only be done once. 3/3
  • Cresselia - 5
  • Golett/Golurk - bland. 2/2
  • Inkay/Malamar - oh boy! 3/3
  • Cutiefly/Ribombee - cutest and blandest card I've ever seen. 2/2
  • Ghost Caly V/VMAX - Best card since Zoroark GX. 3/5
  • Hippopotas/Hippowdon - big bland blaster! 2/2
  • Rockruff/Lycanroc - endgame sweeper? why not. also, 80+ is solid as a SS mon. 3/4
  • Crabrawler/Crabominable - bland. 2/2
  • Sandaconda V/VMAX - F type, no Battle Style tag, Bea was your accel for F types, First atk spreads dmg, assume as you hit weakness to the bench since it wasn't stated there. 3/4
  • Clobbopus/Grapploct - oh boy! 3/3
  • Koffing/Weezing/G.Weezing - to take advantage of the ability, we need a Weezing V, or else, we can find ways. 1/3/4
  • Qwilfish - first Qwilfish card that takes advantage of Poison typing. That's it except its just an AFK Bursting Balloon. 3-4
  • Liepard V - 4
  • Aron/Lairon/Aggron - bland. 2/2/2
  • Metagross V/VMAX - vulnerable to gusting, can't use RSE, that's it. 3/4
  • Cobalion - 3
  • Tauros - 4-5
  • Porygon/Porygon2/Porygon-Z - what? 2/2/2-3
  • Teddiursa/Ursaring - bland. 1/1
  • Blissey V - A Centiskorch VMAX to don't hit for weakness, neat! 4
  • Kecleon - 3
  • Tornadus V/VMAX - 4-5
  • Fletchling/Fletchinder/Talonflame - bland at its best. 2/2/2
  • Furfrou - 1
  • Skwovet/Greedent - 2/3-4
  • Survival Kit - aid from being Marnie'd. 3
  • Striking Helmet - another decent tool card. 3-4
  • SS Scroll of Stabs - taking away the ability to hit weakness is meh. 3-4
  • RS Scroll of Skies - 3-4
  • these Gloves - what's the point of these things? Breakthrough Gloves is fine against Zacian, Eternatus is getting problemed and Justice Gloves adds it, Gardening Gloves is pointless as no Grass deck stands out, and Heatproof Gloves is pointless as fire decks losing welder, and Victini can cope up without it. 3/3/3/3
  • Flannery - 4
  • Doctor - but why? 2
  • Peony - 5
  • Peonia - 4
  • Melony - water decks boost. 4
  • Path to the Peak - 5
  • Foggy Crystal - 5
  • Agatha - heal and KO in one. 3-4
  • Caitlyn - is Caitlyn good before? 3
  • Siebold - 2-3
  • Old Cemetery - 5
  • Spiral Energy - 4
  • Impact Energy - 4
  • Lucky Energy - 4

Last edited:

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Couldn't have said it any better myself. Ever since their introduction in S&M, I never undesrstood RRs, I always thought they were extremely tacky, plus, who thought it was a good idea to take color, one of the most crucial and sometimes defining characteristic of artworks, and just make so that every card shares the exact same color pattern, making they all look the same. Mind-boggling. Another thing that has absolutely no appeal to me is the completely gold cards, as everything visual related, they're a bit better than they were in S&M, but the gold cards from the B&W and X&Y eras are infinitely superior designs imo, much more classy.

I bolded out the specific part in your comment because this sums up the entire thing perfectly. This especially applies to things like Trainer cards and the handful of Cosmic Eclipse cards with 2D Full Arts that also got a Rainbow Rare. It sucks the life out of the cards! Like... What was the purpose of making nearly every single GX into a rainbow? Besides money, of course. But like... There's better ways to do chase cards than by sucking the life out of them and taking away such an integral part of the artwork as COLOR. And of course, let's not forget that they artificially bloat sets into being way bigger than they have any right to be... It's a bit better now just because we have less of them, but like... Regardless of Sun and Moon or Sword and Shield, they instantly go into the Trade Binder. I just don't care.

And yeah, I'm a sucker for BW/XY so I'm always going to prefer the Gold Cards in those eras to the newer Full Art ones. I mean, I guess some of the FA ones are fun, but I think the biggest issue I have of them is how much they bloat sets. They're a little bit more inoffensive than Rainbows, but regardless. Still a lot of them. And a lot of unnecessary ones. I don't mind having a couple of them per set, honestly. But when you have tons and tons of them on top of tons and tons of OTHER Secret Rares, that's when it gets to be a bit much. Visually though, I think I agree-I like the more simplistic nature of the older ones. They still feel premium while still looking like a Pokemon card. Maybe giving them slightly different art beyond sparkles and gold might have been cool, but regardless, they're inoffensive, and they don't make completing a set even more of a slog. Perfectly fine with me.

I guess I'm just not as big into WHOA!!! FLASHY!!! IN YOUR FACE!!! SHINY SHINE!!! And this is coming from someone who adores Full Arts. But there's only so much I can really take before it gets to be a little too much and unnecessary.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
My first thought is that I want to build a RS Metagross VMax deck and a SS Tauros deck, since they both have exceptional support thanks to their architypes (is that the right term for RS/SS?) and type specific stuff. My second thought is that Shadow Calyrex VMax is an instant threat thanks to Cresselia, Gardevoir and Fog Crystal.

I really wish we had "Single Strike Ball" to help with decks that need multiple lines to work. Tauros looks very fun, but I can't possibly see a deck with 2 different stage 1 lines (Abomasnow and Houndoom) working consistently, not with the pokémon search we have available. Gardevoir won't be included in Calyrex, Cresselias, a 4-4 Calyrex line and Crystal is all that you want, no need (nor space) to include a stage 2 line in the deck, Calyrex is pretty self-suficient with its own ability.

Platinum Espresso

Falinks Fanatic
I really wish we had "Single Strike Ball" to help with decks that need multiple lines to work. Tauros looks very fun, but I can't possibly see a deck with 2 different stage 1 lines (Abomasnow and Houndoom) working consistently, not with the pokémon search we have available.
Agreed, Single Strike's biggest problem is search currently. Rapid has Octillery to get basically anything, but Single Strike has nothing of the sort. Hopefully next set? Don't want to rely on evo incense and quick ball when com's rotated. Ultra Ball reprint would be great

The Fish

0.o
I love the gorgeous, realistic background artwork on Litleo's card... with a goofy cartoon lion cub in the middle.
He just can't wait to be king...

I know everyone has pointed this out but no I'll do it again, because komiya's Porygon is bloody fantastic. The person in the background just adds to it, because despite the cartoony nature, the psycho duck feels threatening. The weirdly dead, blank stare as the pixels go mad is so utterly horrifying and terrific and I am in love, please don't cut it from Chilling Reign.

Also Cutiefly's deadpan stare is very funny to me

Perfect_Shot

Armored Core>Elden Ring
Agreed, Single Strike's biggest problem is search currently. Rapid has Octillery to get basically anything, but Single Strike has nothing of the sort. Hopefully next set? Don't want to rely on evo incense and quick ball when com's rotated. Ultra Ball reprint would be great

It kind of pains me to see that Single Strike ultimately goes down the route of 'Many energy big hit' but of course not big enough to matter in a meta with massive HP numbers, which is made worse when SS mons seem to rely way too hard on support. Then you have Rapid Strike which tries to be the embodiment of speed and efficiency and does a great job of it while not requiring much of any help outside of its Special Energies.

Metagross Vmax is cool but I'm not sure how successful it will be as Victini Vmax is being hyped currently. Blissey V seems it would make a fun 'go second or die' deck, especially in Expanded. There you have Battle Compressor to ditch your Powerful Energies to accelerate to Blissey, VS Seeker to grab goodies like Welder and you can even run multiple different Energies in order to use Scramble Switch to bring up the Kecleon in this set, fully powered. ADP of course works great with it as well. I like it.