News First 'Sun & Moon' English Set News!

I like having more hand disruption that's isn't shuffle your opponent's hand into their deck. Not a bad card. The energy restriction for the discard effect is good as well not being a complete hosing card when they only have two cards left.

Meanwhile Hand Scope is still crying in the corner wonder why these guys weren't around during Phantom Forces.

What makes you say that?
Almost every single card released is extremely gimmicky or risky in some way.
Team Skull Grunt involves risk as you don't know what is in their hand beforehand and with the amount of energies people have these days this card is likely to fail a lot
RotomDex only is good when you have awful prizes
Solgaleo and Lunala as well as many of the other GX's are stage twos and this evolution stages' niche is unclear in the format.
The Basic GX's are all sort of "eh"

Nothing clearly good has been shown.

Team Skull Grunt involves risk as you don't know what is in their hand beforehand and with the amount of energies people have these days this card is likely to fail a lot
Solgaleo and Lunala as well as many of the other GX's are stage twos and this evolution stages' niche is unclear in the format.

Almost every base set is never amazing in terms of playability. don't fret. I remember when everyone said ex(not EX) cards would suck because the first set with them had overall bad or mediocre cards. it'll take a set or two before things truly get going

thought i wouldnt care.. thought id lose interest because of how op looking these card were.. but gotta say they are actually balanced out for how powerful they are. super hyped for these sets and new mechanics!!!

This card is pretty funny to me because we have already seen at least 5 cards that attach energy from your discard to your Pokémon. I plan to play decks where this will help me not hinder me. (Volcanion, Yveltal, Carbink BREAK, new Rayquaza, Laurantis-GX)

The problem is that you are judging this entire set by only a handful of cards. As an example, does anyone remember Hawlucha (63/111) from Furious Fists? The card seemed terrible, only being able to attack EXs. But after it was paired with Miltank from FlashFire, and Bats from Phantom Forces, it won Worlds in the Junior Division and was good that entire season. What I'm saying is that you have to wait till the entire set is released to deem something unplayable. Cards combo together, and looking at one half can mislead you to believe that its bad. I'm not going to go as far as say that every card revealed seems good, but wait a bit and it may surprise you.

Well, this ruins the Primarina viability I was hoping for...

Eh, maybe not. Who knows.

Take some time and see what happens. Chances are they are trying to create more balance cards for a healthier overall game. The cards now are pretty unbalanced and broken and require almost no risk to play. If this means we can get a more fun game where risk is something to consider, then I say bring it on!

My initial impression of Team Skull Grunt is that it has potential. Plenty of cards have seemed awesome at a glance and under performed, sometimes cards look weak and then over perform, and a lot of cards mess with us by being good (or bad) up front, and then bad (or good) later on. Team Flare Grunt was seen as mediocre when it debuted, then we eventually got VS Seeker, Battle Compressor, and non-Supporter draw. Throw in some control decks that were helped by it all, and Team Flare Grunt became a good card; a little underwhelming to slap into a deck all willy nilly but quite potent in the appropriate build.

Almost everything going for Team Skull Grunt also seems to be going against it, but implies being balanced. It may just take until a Sun & Moon-On format, or I might be seriously underrating it. The more frequent basic Energy cards are easier to hit but easier to reclaim from the discard pile, and decks heavy with them often have multiple attachments in a turn. Special Energy are harder to hit but also harder to reclaim, and losing them often hurts quite a bit.

MY EVALUATIONS
  • Team Skull Grunt - How will I evaluate this? Hmmph. This card is good, but what place that this card put in the meta? I only saw as a potential Anti-Volc card but Volc keeps retrieving energy so that's why. M-Scizor can be. If VS Seeker will reprinted in this set, I'll be grateful! For this card, it could be a pain to your opponent.

Almost every base set is never amazing in terms of playability. don't fret. I remember when everyone said ex(not EX) cards would suck because the first set with them had overall bad or mediocre cards. it'll take a set or two before things truly get going

A good recent example would be Mega Evolutions. It didn't really take off until XY4 (though XY3 saw some use), as the mechanic was tweaked (i.e. Spirit Links).

A good recent example would be Mega Evolutions. It didn't really take off until XY4 (though XY3 saw some use), as the mechanic was tweaked (i.e. Spirit Links).

i think they would've gone from flat out bad to decent if they started with Spirit Links.

edit: imagine if the dude running M-Kang had spirit links with him. Would have never needed to sacrifice a turn. could've changed everything

Um... XY had Aromatisse, Sycamore, Xerneas, Yveltal, Yveltal EX, Greninja, Trevenant, Diggersby, Cassius, Fairy Garden, Hard Charm, Team Flare Grunt, Red Card, Muscle Band, Professor's Letter, Roller Skates, Shadow Circle, DCE, and Rainbow Energy.

Black and White had Reshiram, Zekrom, Emboar, Reuniclus, Klinklang, revenge Bouffalant, Pokemon Communication, Energy Switch, Energy Retrieval, Juniper, Revive, Super Scoop Up, and Switch.

HGSS had Blissey Prime, Donphan Prime, Feraligatr, Prime, Typhlosion Prime, PONT, Pokemon Collector, DCE, Rainbow Energy, Pokemon Communication, Fisherman, Copycat, Energy Switch, and Pokemon Reversal.

DP had Infernape, Infernape Lv.X, Empoleon, Dusknoir, revenge Machamp, SSU, Warp Point, Switch, Pokedex Handy910is, PlusPower, and Energy Switch.

I can't speak on sets prior to DP because I didn't play back then, but all of the base sets since and including DP were very viable sets with many playable and staple cards. I'd argue that on average, base sets are much more amazing in terms of playability than expansion sets are.

Also, nobody said EX cards would suck when Next Destinies came out. Mewtwo EX was very clearly one of the strongest cards ever printed, and Shaymin EX and Zekrom EX played important roles in the meta when they were legal. That's a whole 50% of the EXes released in Next Destinies that were definitely not bad or mediocre. In my opinion, Sun and Moon is very underwhelming so far because any card with a hint of playability is stage 2 so far, and we saw that Rare Candy isn't getting unnerfed, so I'm not holding my breath for this set to actually be good in the current meta. It honestly looks to be pretty garbage until the format slows down enough for stage 2s to be viable.

Milling will be the only game in town, after jan. I hate how this is the 4th energy disruption card in standard. It bothers me that energy disruption is the driving force behind defenseive decks. It is like a bad record stuck on one theme song for way to long. I encourage Pokémon to do better! Especially since the meta is going to stages. I can't wait to here the frustration when you finally get a stage one or two going and you've been milled out of energy for the game. An idea that had little thought put into it! Do better Pokémon!

Last edited:
Back