First Grade Boy Suspended for ‘Sexual Harassment’

PG24

<Pride> I'm my wildest fantasy
Advanced Member
WPTV-Boy-suspended-kissing-girl_20131210142430_320_240.JPG

Six-year-old Hunter Yelton, a first grader at Lincoln School of Science & Technology in Canon City, Colorado, was recently suspended for kissing a girl in his class on the hand.

Hunter spoke and explained, "It was during class yeah. We were doing reading group and I leaned over and kissed her on the hand. That's what happened."

The boy went on to take responsibility for what he did, "She sent me to the office, fair and square. I did something wrong and I feel sorry. I’ve been trying to be good at school."

Hunter got in trouble because his actions fit the elementary school’s definition of ‘sexual harassment.’ So now Little Hunter has a record with school district RE-1 as a sexual harassment offender:

32c7841b-8184-417a-b7f1-4d8d6c19254e_Harassment-charge.png

f6484937-cc77-4c49-9e35-510e5813809d_offender-charge.png

It’s terminology that Hunter’s mother, Jennifer Saunders, felt was inappropriate saying, “'Sexual harassment.’ This is taking it to a, to an extreme that doesn't need to be met with a six-year-old. Now my son is asking questions, ‘What is sex mommy? It should not ever be said, ‘Sex,’ in a sentence with a six year old."

This is not Hunter’s first run in with the school authorities

He’s been suspended in the past for rough-housing and for kissing the same girl from this most recent incident, on the cheek.

The female classmate and her parents have not come forward but according to Ms. Saunders, "She was fine with it, they are ‘boyfriend and girlfriend’. The other children saw it and went to the music teacher.” Hunter’s mom says that she has made efforts to work with her son on improving his classroom behavior by grounding him and giving him, “…very big restrictions.” It does seem like there have been discussions at home because the young man has his own articulate explanation for why he does what he does saying, “I just have a lot of energy. I mean six-year-olds. They have a lot of energy."

I wouldn't count that as Sexual harassment, maybe inappropriate/unwanted physical contact. Some schools take things too far

Considering a school I believe suspended, and confiscated a girl's walker (no, not the music player) for falling in a car park, I honestly don't put it behind schools to do terrible things. There are schools in my area that allow shorts so short you have to hold them down for them to not be belts, and there are other schools in my area (mainly my own school) that doesn't allow hair to be any longer than shoulder height.

Schools both can be very lenient, and very strict about some of the strangest actions.

EDIT: By the logic of a man kissing a woman's hand (or in this case, a boy kissing a girl's hand), every actor who played in a medieval, renaissance film should be considered a sex offender.

Boy can schools make some stupid calls sometimes. This and I remember a recent story about a kid dying at school because he couldn't get to his inhaler in time since they are not allowed to carry their own medicine.

I've been expelled 3 times for BEING bullied, while the bullies get off scott free.
Now can you see why my Skype name is "Mega Friends don't exist"?

Alright...
According to the OP, the girl itself was fine with this and similar actions, so you cannot call it forced contact of any sort. As such, calling it sexual harassment is even more ridiculous. Unless the boy really had some kind of extremely perverted thought in mind, I can't see any harassment anywhere. It probably had no idea that what he was doing is "erotic". In fact, classifying it as "sexual harassment can prove to be disastrous, as the child is now even remotely aware of sex, and in his age he can get wrong ideas.
All in all, calling such an incident "sexual harassment" is taking it to meaningless extremes.

Trainerhan1 said:
Boy can schools make some stupid calls sometimes. This and I remember a recent story about a kid dying at school because he couldn't get to his inhaler in time since they are not allowed to carry their own medicine.

wow.. I had no clue something like this happened. What kind of stupid rule is that? I can imagine that they shouldn't carry some specific medicine, but if someone needs an inhaler they should always be able to access it. It's really sad that a life got wasted because of such a rule.

Back on topic. This story makes me face-palm so much. Before the school makes such a decision they need to look into things. Sexual harassment for giving a girl a kiss? Seriously.. They were friends and the parents had no problems with it. I do not get why the school would even want to intervene unless the parents wanted them to. They should have contacted the parents of both children and talk it over. I really don't know what they were thinking.

Calling this "sexual harassment" -- especially in the context of six-year old -- is ludicrous. As Spartansn1p3r mentioned, I could see this type of physical contact being called inappropriate in a school setting, but I don't see anything sexual about it. Most children in first grade aren't even aware of what sexuality is, including the child in the article ("What is sex?").

It sounds to me like the administrators are unfairly viewing this case in too much of a "black and white" standpoint...and I'm willing to bet it's because of bias due to the child having previous suspensions. If they looked into the details of the case (especially if they get into contact with the girl's family), I would hope that they'd realize this is going a little too far. Save the "sexual harassment" case for the middle- and high-school students in the district who knowingly inappropriately touch others in more inappropriate places than a hand.

James86134 said:
EDIT: By the logic of a man kissing a woman's hand (or in this case, a boy kissing a girl's hand), every actor who played in a medieval, renaissance film should be considered a sex offender.

While I agree with much of what you're saying, this is a poor example. Actors are paid to do what they do in a closed setting, which isn't necessarily real. A better comparison would be couples that kiss in school hallways; most schools would reprimand the students, but some wouldn't.

This is ridiculous. Why would you even... I mean, the boy is six years old, and he's being accused of "sexual harassment"? Stuff like this just annoys me.

I know another case a bit like this. Here in Finland (I'm pretty sure it was here; not sure though.) some kid got suspended from school because he hugged a teacher. It's just... Weird. Plain weird.

Yes, he broke the school rules, but give him a punishment that is fit for his age, not for an adult. This shouldn't be something that is going to show up on his permanent record in background checks, as it could ruin this kid's future opportunities for jobs.

I remember when I was about his age and there was a boy who kept on kissing girls. It was annoying, but the teachers just said to ignore it.

I see the circlejerk is running strong. The media decided to conveniently leave out the important parts.

It wasn't just kissing her hand. The boy was kissing all over her body and groping her. Fellow students who witnessed it claim she said to stop, but he kept going. They told the teacher, and then this happened.

Should he have been punished? Yes, maybe not suspension, but punished none-the-less. He should learn not to do such inappropriate things. But should he be registered as a sex offender? A status that will remain with him for his whole life, for something he did in elementary school? Of course not.

Just take him aside and tell him that such actions are inappropriate.

This certainly shows the situation under a different light, but, as Rusty Sticks said, labelling a 6-year old as a "sexual offender" is taking it too long.
If the case wasn't clearly presented through the article in the OP, then it can be assumed that the boy needs to learn to behave itself and that his parents haven't done a very good job in that.
I'm curious, though, Rusty. Where did you pick up the info?
EDIT: I did my own search. According to CNN, groping and kissing on the cheek are past incidents, and the last one was the kiss on the hand. Apparently, however, the girl wasn't comfortable with it.
The boy's mother called it "innocent crush" and expressed her rage, while the girl's mother said that the punishment was appropriate.
Due to public outrage, the school has lifted both the suspension and the sexual offender classification.

I agree with Ice Jackal here, where did you get that at? Although I am surprised at these comments that a 6-year old boy was apparently "groping" her. I didn't know what that meant until at LEAST 4th grade. And going by what is in the OP, he said he didn't know what sex even was so this gets a little confusing.

Just one of the reasons I don't usually discuss things in this section of the Forum :p

Oh, give me a break; that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my entire life. Sexual offender? What the hell?

The student broke the rules. So he should be punished for doing so.

But going as far to call him a sexual offender at 6 years old is over the top.

Back