Fire Primes?

The Yoshi

Wumbo
Has anyone noticed that Typhlosion Prime is the only {R} Prime in the entire HGSS set(s)? I'm beginning to feel that the Fire type popularity is really going to go down, because the only fire type decks (that actually work) are Charizard and Blaziken. I like Fire types. I wonder why they didn't make any other cool primes, like Magmortar or Charizard, or maybe something like Ninetales (and do not tell me Houndoom Prime is a fire type)?

Edit: Sorry mods, this belongs in the TCG News and Discussion Forum(slaps forehead and screams).

I see where you're coming from; even Colorless got two Primes. Fire is one of my favorite types, but 3 (sorta) meta decks is a fairly large number (Charizard, BlazeChomp, BLG). And keep in mind, lots of other types don't have that many decks based around a main attacker of that type. Grass-type has Jumpluff only. Water has Gyarados and a bit of Kingdra. Steel has DialgaChomp only.
Hopefully, we will see some fire-type(s) English-exclusive Prime(s) in CoL (that is, if we see any English-exclusive Primes at all).

Fire types have always been my favorite and I know that there are almost 2 of every prime cept for Fire, but as Scizor said they already have Charizard, Infernape 4 lvx and Blaze FB X

That, or you could realize that there are so few Fire types out there that it's very difficult to make any cool-looking Fire-type primes - and the other popular ones don't need to be made into Primes.

Just keep in mind, Houndoom is still a Fire-type Pokemon.

i have noticed that really there arnt many fire types at all. my fire section of my binder is very thin. and DNA it doesnt matter if he is fire his card is dark

I saw that excuse coming a mile away, so don't try that on me.

Houndoom could be considered fire, but he really isnt because of the attacks on the card not needing any fire energy

Well, really Houndoom is in fact a Fire-type. He is a dual type after all, and it's not like we had any other Dark-type Prime besides T-Tar. There is too many Electric Prime, one in each set, and two in Triumphant. Besides, Fire-types will get killed by Gyarados and Kingdra, and no one play Grass-type decks, so...there really is no advantage for Fire-types unless it's a Blaziken tech for Dialga G Lv. X.

Houndoom could be considered fire, but he really isnt because of the attacks on the card not needing any fire energy
There is still the Fire Breath Poke-Power of course, but this is a much better reason than 'the card is Dark-type'. I applaud you for your insight.

To someone that only plays the TCG, Houndoom Prime is a dark type.

Yes, we have noticed that Typhlosion is the only fire type.

I do hope for a Prime that is fire-type(though I'm 95% sure we are not getting any) that isn't overrated, but not binder stuffing like Electrode Prime.

DNA said:
Just keep in mind, Houndoom is still a Fire-type Pokemon.
Yeah, to someone who plays the video games. However, for the purposes of the TCG, it is Dark only. His Prime card is Dark-type, which means it is not a fire-type Prime... I do agree, it is a fire-type Pokémon that was made into a Pokémon Prime, but it is not a Fire-type Prime.

Well, really Houndoom is in fact a Fire-type. He is a dual type after all, and it's not like we had any other Dark-type Prime besides T-Tar. There is too many Electric Prime, one in each set, and two in Triumphant. Besides, Fire-types will get killed by Gyarados and Kingdra, and no one play Grass-type decks, so...there really is no advantage for Fire-types unless it's a Blaziken tech for Dialga G Lv. X.

T-Tar, Absol and Umbreon.

As for steel, we had Steelix and Scizor.

Edit: I replace Absol with Houndoom, because I forgot about Absol.

I admit I forgot about Umbreon, but I wasn't even including Houndoom because that's the whole point of this. I was saying we didn't have many Dark-type either, just like Fire-types.

They shaft Fire types in the Video Games too. >__>

This is really no surprise in the Pokemon universe.

Fire Pokemon are just too hot. Literally.

Have solace in the fact that Typhlosion Prime is a real anchor in decks that fit in Ninetails (like Charizard for instance). It's also an extremely good attacker. This is just not the meta for Fire decks.

dmaster out.

I assume after this point that you people are done throwing flimsy arguments at me and my comment about Houndoom, I would like to point out the following:
Electrode Prime has more uses than one may think.
Electrode Prime is only useful in a deck where Interviewer's Questions can be used reliably (because otherwise, you'll draw into 2 or less Energy and you'll have lost a prize to the opponent), and in a meta where SPs are even remotely played (and especially in a SP-heavy meta, such as CA), it should not be used in any deck, ever. Far too situational to be of any real use.

Now, I believe the topic had something to do with the lack of Fire-type Primes? I believe it mostly has to do with the lack of Fire-type Pokemon that exist. As of Generation 4, there are only a total of 35 Fire-type Pokemon (7.1% of all Pokemon), and 16 of those (3.2% of all Pokemon) are either fully-evolved or do not evolve at all. Keep in mind, most of those Pokemon are either starter Pokemon or legendary Pokemon. That's not a whole lot.

And keep in mind this as well: With only a few small exceptions, most of the Pokemon Prime, of any type, are from Generation 2. It was only up to Undaunted that we saw a non-Gen2 Prime (which was Raichu), and only one at that time. Triumphant introduced a lot more - virtually none of which were from Gen2. In this case, only one (Celebi) was directly from Gen2, and only one other was related to a Gen2 Pokemon (Yanmega).

So why am I bringing up Gen2? Because the Pokemon Prime are in the HGSS sets - which revolve around Johto, and Pokemon #152-251 primarily. And if you tend to focus in on just one grouping for an extended period of time, odds are you're going to leave out certain Pokemon types. But then again, not a lot of Fire-type Pokemon even exist, so this explains the lack of Fire-type Primes.

I've noticed another thing: Ever since Base Set, the Fire-type in Pokemon has been considered almost an archetype. Most of its members, from day one, revolve around the discarding of Fire Energy cards. If you had too much of that, you would not have a lot of usable Pokemon - even less so in the Primes. That factor alone would heavily weigh on the Fire-types for consideration.

That's why so few Fire-type Pokemon exist in the TCG or even as Primes - there just aren't that many.

Back