E3 2013 Discussion Thread

No one seems to have brought it up, so here's the newest trailer for the new 3DS game, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds!

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAluniNRibs[/video]

That's one I'm really excited for. Classic top-down Zelda games are by far my favorites of the series.

TheGuy said:
What are people's thoughts on the Wonderful 101? I thought it looked pretty interesting.

It looks great! I love the idea for the game, it looks so original. Looks like they might plan to go and add some kind of puzzle elements to the game (I was thinking mostly because of the changing of the weapons). Only on WiiU? It definitely adds another reason for me to get one.

@Rusty Sticks
Why did they add that purple bar that looks to be like a energy bar or something!? That killed me. I like the new gameplay mechanism though.

Bolt the Cat said:
Couldn't really catch all of the Nintendo Direct because of issues with the US stream, but from what I saw of it, I wasn't that impressed. Many of the games shown are bland sequels to games that came out 2-3 years ago (Super Mario 3D World = Super Mario 3D Land 2, Mario Kart 8 looks very much like Mario Kart 7, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze = Donkey Kong Country Returns 2). And while there's nothing particularly bad about these games, it doesn't do the Wii U any favors, as it fails to tout the Wii U as a console that is capable of innovative, next gen gameplay. Smash Bros. looks good, though, and X could be good but I want to see more gameplay first.

Adding onto what I said here, I find it very peculiar that none of the games shown make good use of the Gamepad. Why didn't these games utilize features such as second screen support, the touch screen, the gyroscope, asymmetrical multiplayer, and all of that stuff? What's the point in having the Gamepad then? That's the main reason that these games feel so bland, because they're not using any of the features that make the Wii U unique.

Mario 3D World is actually using the Pad in a couple cool ways in that you can hold enemies/moving things in place and detect hidden blocks/coins secrets in the game. And you can control the camera with the Pad's gyro controls. That's a huge feature that's really nice for Mario games. Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker are using it in a couple unique ways as well. I'm sure Mario Kart will have the track, but they might announce more for that game and hopefully a little bit for DKC as well. I agree though, they seemed to shove the Pad to the side in general for the Direct, but they uploaded Developer videos on their YouTube channel where they showcased these types of things.

dmaster out.

Sony has announced that they will not allow developers/publishers to implement Online Passes on PS4.

The major offender EA has recently abolished Online Passes, but still pretty cool.

I think this E3 has proven that Sony cares more about the players than Microsoft. Sony didn't win E3 it just proved that it didn't want to lose it like Microsoft did.

EDIT: Is anyone going to Best Buy tonight for the Nintendo stuff?

TheGuy said:
I think this E3 has proven that Sony cares more about the players than Microsoft. Sony didn't win E3 it just proved that it didn't want to lose it like Microsoft did.

You don't think Sony won E3? Who then? I saw all of them and I think Sony had the best showing, they showed off plenty of diverse and innovative games, and they've done an excellent job of convincing people that the PS4 is worth buying. Nintendo and Microsoft don't even compare in this regard, and Ubisoft and EA's conferences weren't that interesting.

TheGuy said:
EDIT: Is anyone going to Best Buy tonight for the Nintendo stuff?

None of the Best Buys near me are doing it, and none of the games really catch my interest, so no.

Nintendo was very disappointing they stuffed in a big way by not releasing they big games sooner and there is still no Metroid they really need to pick their game up.
Since the cube Nintendo have always been behind the other makers I am a huge Nintendo fan but I am getting disappointed with their consoles and games.

Bolt the Cat said:
You don't think Sony won E3? Who then? I saw all of them and I think Sony had the best showing, they showed off plenty of diverse and innovative games, and they've done an excellent job of convincing people that the PS4 is worth buying. Nintendo and Microsoft don't even compare in this regard, and Ubisoft and EA's conferences weren't that interesting.

I think Sony did a good job, I agree, they did all of the things you listed. And I think Sony won E3, but not because Sony amazed us and wowed us, but because they gave a good show and nobody else was close to on par with it.

Sony has announced that Free-to-Play games, such as Blacklight: Retribution and Warframe, will NOT require PS+ to play online.

This is big. No paywall on PS4 is huge.

Back