Donphan - Could it do well in a post-DE format?

And there is also the fact that he can't OHKO Zekrom EX, Raikou EX or Darkrai EX. And he can't OHKO Eviolited Zekrom. And he can only 5HKO a Tornadus EX, and 9HKO it if it has Eviolite. And it's a stage 1.

alexmf2 said:
And there is also the fact that he can't OHKO Zekrom EX, Raikou EX or Darkrai EX. And he can't OHKO Eviolited Zekrom. And he can only 5HKO a Tornadus EX, and 9HKO it if it has Eviolite. And it's a stage 1.

Actually, that's not true, he can OHKO those four Pokemon, he has Heavy Impact, and yes I know it's one of those: Forbidden Attacks You Should Never Use, but it's a good attack in this format. Granite if Eviolite was in play he couldn't OHKO them, but neither can Terrakion at that point. And Tornadus EX takes 3-4 hits with Terrakion for the same amount of energy that Donphan needs to 3-4 shot him, and Donphan doesn't need for one or more actives to get KO'd to do it.

Emopanda133 said:
Actually, that's not true, he can OHKO those four Pokemon, he has Heavy Impact, and yes I know it's one of those: Forbidden Attacks You Should Never Use, but it's a good attack in this format. Granite if Eviolite was in play he couldn't OHKO them, but neither can Terrakion at that point. And Tornadus EX takes 3-4 hits with Terrakion for the same amount of energy that Donphan needs to 3-4 shot him, and Donphan doesn't need for one or more actives to get KO'd to do it.

Donphan needs 3 energy to do that. You are never going to get 3 energy on a 140 (technically) hp pokemon with no energy acceleration.

I've been doing it for a month now, soo, yeah, you can.:p My strategy is tank with Donphan as active with one energy, and build up the benched ones to three energy, and it has work for me so far.

The problem with building up benched pokemon is that Catcher makes them completely open to attacks. Plus there is the fact that you wont have enough time to build up benched Donphans as one of them should be getting KOed every turn, thus forcing you to attach to the one you bring up.

You've been doing it for a month, but do you have any wins or placings to show for it?

Where do you get the "They Should be KO'd every turn" from? And he needs one energy to attack.

As for your last question, premier event wise no because nothing has happened in the past month anywhere near me. But my gamestore hold a tourney (sanctioned league rules) every Saturday and I've won three. Whether you think that credible or not is you're opinion, but the players at my league put their best decks into that tournament, including Zekeels and CMT.

I mean, Trode Prime is an option with Twins. It's not the best form of Energy acceleration, but it's something. Sorry to pop in here haha.

I'm quite tired of Theorymon, so today I tested against ZekEels. Out of 3 games, I got T2 Donphan Primes every time. One game he started double Tynamo and no supporters, so he got rolled. Second game he got a quite good setup, while I had 3 energy, 2 Phanpys, and a Catcher prized. Despite struggling quite a bit this game, we came down to 1-2 in prizes. He pulled a surprise Shaymin (Celebration Wind) out of nowhere and a Zekrom EX and got the last prize, even though I never managed to get the 4th Phanpy out of the Prizes. I did, however, get to do battle with his Tornadus EX twice (after Revive). I dropped Ruins of Alph and Rocky Helmet. With the use of Max Potion (even though I got Catcher stalled twice) I took two prizes off it and gave up only 1. Third game was against a different ZekEels, and while I did get to go first (finally) and had the Donphan and four energy in hand, I had none of my Ball engine. (Dual Ball, Heavy Ball, Ultra Ball). So I did the only thing I could do and powered up Donphan. :p He started Tynamo and Raikou EX. I Catcher the Raikou EX, energy, pass. He attaches energy/uses T/S and passes. Energy, Donphan, 120. He goes, sets up some, attaches, passes. I attach a 3rd energy and hit a Juniper on the draw. However, I just steamroll his field. He powered up Raikou EX twice (about the only thing he had in hand that was helpful was a Revive), but both times I Catcher KO'd it. I never even needed the second or third Donphan.

alexmf2 - Hate to burst your bubble, but that happens a lot. It's really pretty easy, since Donphan is so amazingly fast. And one gets KO'd about every other turn, every third or fourth for a couple if you use Max Potion very carefully. Not to mention your original Donphan can go a long time, since you're swinging for 60 and KO'ing whatever they try to set up, effectively slowing them down and giving you time to maintain your rapid pace. You've got 3 Donphans set up before the first one goes down, easily.

(And by that logic, it has 160 HP if attacked twice.)

Donphan is definitely not only KOed every other turn. It's so easy to KO Donphan. Even if you don't KO it, because you have such a weak damage output it wouldn't really matter.

And Tornadus EX and Mewtwo absolutely demolish this deck. Tornadus EX is in most lists of the three best decks in the format, and Mewtwo is also in two of those. So I don't really see Donphan making an impact anytime soon.

I've been actually testing. Tornadus EX isn't a big deal. Vomit as much theorymon on me as you want, but I played against it a few times (again) precisely four and a half hours ago.

I've tested as well. And if your only doing 20 damage to a pokemon with 180 hp, that guy is gonna win. Plus most decks run multiple copies.

I haven't yet seen a deck with more than 2. Plus Power, Rocky Helmet, Max Potion, and Ruins of Alph all help with Tornadus EX. And if all else fails, Catcher around it and every time they try to 2HKO you, play a Max Potion (with Junk Arm and 13 draw supporters, isn't too hard). Eventually they won't have energy to attach to Tornadus EX or you'll have a major prize jump. I guess it will eventually come down to player skill and build.

I mean, I run 26 trainers and 13 draw supporters. 10 Pokemon, 11 energy. SpeedPhan - it's for the cool kids. :p

My DMRH has 10 Pokemon (4-4 Donphan, 2 Mewtwo EX), 12 Energy (10 Fighting, 2 Double Colorless Energy), 26 Trainers, and 12 Draw.

Back