Do you believe extraterrestrial life exists?

I 100% believe in extraterrestrial life, but I doubt there is any both close enough and advanced enough for us to make contact in the very near future.

I believe in extraterrestrial life, but I doubt we will make contact with them within our lifetimes. It's almost guaranteed that life exists outside our solar system, but too far away for our current technology to find them. And vice versa.

There was a theory floating around that if aliens found us in our current technological state, they would leave us. If they can find life on their own with no trouble, why would they want to communicate with a species that can barely get a human being out of its planet's orbit?

I honestly do. Our Galaxy has about 1 billion planets. 1% is bound to be Earth-like.

Recent research results show stunning probability of extraterrestrial life

As the research suggests, one out of five stars that are similar in size and heat to the sun has a planet in the ideal distance for water, and therefore life, to exist. This research is based on data collected over the last three years from NASA's Kepler telescope and its results show that there is a huge number of potentially inhabited planets. Erik Petigura, responsible for the aforementioned research, suggested that what we formerly thought of as a rare case is now considered to be the majority.
So what do you think? Does the existence of more Earth-like planets mean that chances of alien life are higher? Is there any chance for humanity to ever find out?

RE: Recent research results show that life can exist in nearly 1/5 of the universe

It certainly increases the odds of finding life, but I think intelligent life is still a very rare occurance. You only need water for life but for intelligent life to develop at our level or greater, you'll need more than just water. Still, if the research if true, then an increase in the amount of planets capable of sustaining life does inherently increase the chances of said life existing, and I welcome the presence of another intelligent race... just so long as they don't snatch us up and cut us open and other alien stuff

RE: Recent research results show that life can exist in nearly 1/5 of the universe

The title is a bit misleading if the study suggests that 1 in 5 stars that are similar to the sun can host planets capable of sustaining life. What is the fraction of stars that fit this category?

RE: Recent research results show that life can exist in nearly 1/5 of Sun-like stars

Thanks for pointing this out. Fixed to look more proper.
As far as I can remember, the number of sun-sized stars in the universe is estimated to 50 billion, as such there are about 10 billion stars with planets that can support life.

RE: Recent research results show stunning probability of extraterrestrial life

That's very cool! I can only hope to live long enough to find out if there is life in one of those star systems.

RE: Recent research results show stunning probability of extraterrestrial life

im surprised no-ones mentioned the Drake Equation

Im sure theres life out there in the universe and most likly the Multiverse but it will be still a long time before a Human sees it and comes back alive with evidence of such life.

I have taken the liberty to merge the two threads, as they are of the same general topic. I highly encourage you to browse through all of the posts, starting from page one. This is a very intriguing thread.

Please, carry on.

Back