XY DLC for Pokémon: What are your thoughts on all the new possibilities?

kayko

Darktype Champion
Hey guys. :D
Let's talk about DLC( Downloadable Content),for the new Pokemon Generation.
What could be accesabile through the 3DS / through DLC ?
Would you pay for it ? Would you like DLC for Pokemon X/Y ?
Share your thoughts with me, leave comments and discuss ! :D
:cool::p

RE: What do you think about DLC for Pokemon X/Y ?

DLC would make Pokemon more unlimited - perhaps even "buy" regions to go to and make it possible via a cruise ship (S.S. Anne would be the choice, considering it is said to travel around the world). It would certainly keep things interesting.

Maybe something similar to the Memory Link feature in B2/W2 where you can unlock certain events. Maybe in X and Y we could meet up with characters of both the anime and previous games. Maybe even have some sweet battles with Gym Leaders from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, etc. who have some Kalos Pokemon.

Equinox said:
DLC would make Pokemon more unlimited - perhaps even "buy" regions to go to and make it possible via a cruise ship (S.S. Anne would be the choice, considering it is said to travel around the world). It would certainly keep things interesting.

Nice idea. Like visiting Hoenn or parts of it. Of course this could be a new strategy from Nintendo/Gamefreak , let us play the new Generation with parts of Hoenn accesabile and get to experience a glimps of Hoenn on the 3DS. Later on they will announce the Remake of the Hoenn region.
Awesome idea I had ! hahaha :D

When I just got my generation 3 games (I was young!:p) I believed that the Space Center in Mossdeep City would allow you to go on a trip to space to catch Jirachi. I would like there to be DLC for similar events; allowing us to go to new places and catch special Pokémon.

It would also be nice if they allowed us to download new themes to adapt the interface to our own taste.

@The above posts; unlocking regions and memory link events also sounds awesome!

Isn't Mystery Gift kind of like DLC? I mean, it gives you stuff that's already pre-programmed into the game, but... That ought to make a return. I wouldn't want to have to pay for it though because most of the time I can't. I don't have a credit card and going to Gamestop to buy a points card is a pain in the butt. As long as whatever we get is free, I'm all for it.

I think that the DLC is a great addition to the pokemon series, and is part of the evolution of videogames...We can have more obtainable pokemon, legendaries from other regions, event pokemon, more playable areas, more clothes for our character, there's a lots of things we can get...At the start, I would like a DLC that let you catch the legendary exclusive of the other version ( Yveltal in X and Xerneas in Y)...Something like it happened in Gold and Silver...And with this kind of DLC there will be no need of a 3rd version!

Frezgle said:
Isn't Mystery Gift kind of like DLC? I mean, it gives you stuff that's already pre-programmed into the game, but... That ought to make a return. I wouldn't want to have to pay for it though because most of the time I can't. I don't have a credit card and going to Gamestop to buy a points card is a pain in the butt. As long as whatever we get is free, I'm all for it.

I think through DLC you can give stuff that's not already pre-programmed. If you update the game or the 3DS you can add new stuff to the game that wasn't thought about when the game was finished , or things the fanbase would like and Gamefreak doesn't know about it.

Frezgle said:

Mystery Gift is DLC as it is downloadable content, but it's not much, and it doesn't change the game outside of a small event. In the sense this thread is talking about is going to other regions, unlocking new areas, trainers, etc.

I like the idea of being able to download new regions and what not, but I would not like to see the ability to buy pokemon. It just seems a little cheap of nintendo/GameFreak to do (I don't think they would do it in the first place).

I'm having a hard time imaging all the different types of pokemon DLC there could be.

I dunno, I hope that if GF gives out DLC stuff, that it's done well. I dislike DLC in general, it's so gimmicky and micro-transactiony. Bluh bluh. But I do trust GF in general, and I think they could possibly pull it off.

If they do it I would like to see this:
- Replacing those events where you have to go to a certain store to download a new Pokémon (no cost)
- Small sidequests, locations (possibly free, or at least cheap)
- Access to whole other regions (probably the most expensive DLC, depending on how far they go with it)

Things I would *not* like to see:
- Buying legendary or event Pokémon
- ... okay, just flat out buying *anything* with real money
- Anything that significantly trivializes gameplay (an area that just exists to give awesome EVs, or XP)

Artemis said:
- Buying legendary or event Pokémon
- ... okay, just flat out buying *anything* with real money
- Anything that significantly trivializes gameplay (an area that just exists to give awesome EVs, or XP)
I feel the same way, it would be really easy for GF to turn in to something like those facebook games that just fish for money it seems(a dollar for some rare candies..NO).

Like phoenix29 said earlier, it would be cool for the DLC to allow version only pokemon in to their corresponding regions.

I'm so-so on the subject.

For me, it would really depend on a) the price and b) the content.
Altho Masuda has said in an interview that he is against the concept of paid DLC so that means it may not be too much to pay (obv. depending on what it is), or just plain free.

the things I would like to see with DLC, or the things that may be good:
-Giving out event legendaries via DLC. This should be free and there should be no need whatsoever to pay.
-New outfits - there could be a free DLC piece of clothing every week/month or something. They could even tie it in with anime, having characters with the same clothes, or even a costume based around a Pokemon that's been predominantely featured.
-Small sidequests, this could end up with us recieving a Pokemon with an exclusive move or a DW ability. Possibly even a legendary - something like 'Save Moltres from these Poachers who want to catch it!' or something like that. I think that depending on the scale of the quest and the Pokemon reward, it may or may not be paid for.

I can see things like what the memory link did, or new NPCs that give you stuff and so on....
in other words, things that use the existing data but merely give you new ways/alternative ways of obtaining them. Ingame events.

Adding pokemon that didn't exist is an absolute no-go imo.

I think it depends on what you can do in the games without DLC. I think the best thing they can do is create a new set of areas (maybe about the size of Sinnoh's Battle Zone, that's roughly an appropriate size for a DLC area), and add in some National Dex Pokemon that couldn't be catchable in other games (as long as there aren't any new Pokemon only available through DLC), and maybe a mini storyline. Charge no more than a couple of bucks for that, and I think it would be very worth it. But if as a result, post game ends up being barren and unfulfilling without it, then that would be a pretty cheap move. Then you're just taking the usual post game stuff and locking it behind DLC, and DLC isn't adding anything.

They could do event legendary DLC, but unless it's free or adds other things to the events (in other words, the areas don't become pointless after the legendary is caught), it probably won't be worth it. Even if it is free, I still think events should be expanded a bit, no more random small islands with nothing else there, at least upgrade it to a full size dungeon.

DlC is crap. All of it. Forever. And ever.

That being said I agree with all of the things said by frezgle and artemis.
Pokemon started the concept of pre-loaded DLC many years ago, so I'm glad masuda saw the monster they unleashed and is against it.

Someone said that the games would become unlimited with DLC, I don't think it means what he thinks it means, The very concept of DLC, microtransactions, MMOs and even cloud gaming have a expiration date; it's hardcoded ito the concept itself.
Take mass effect, for example, now it's all great, but when in several years I install the trilogy again for my children to play (because I have the physical discs, not a steam copy. Who knows what will happen to steam in the future?) they will be missing huge and important chunks of one of the best stories in gaming.
DLC might not be essential (ideally no, but that's hardly the case) but in cases of new areas, sidequests, cutscenes, additional plot development and more, those things are as part of the game as what came in the disc.
Continuing with my example: in the future, without arrival, my kids won't get why the batarians hate shepard and the scale of the conflict they are inmersed in, without overlord, they won't see the lenghts cerberus will go to achieve its objectives, without leviathan and the extended cut, that piece of **** ending will be a slap in the face, like the first time I saw it; omega effectively ends a whole character arc (Aria's), from ashes gives you one of the best weapons in the game, a kickass character, incredible insights into one of the most interesting races in the ME universe and a huge deal of character development for liara, and citadel seems to be a better reward for the player than those crappy, last minute, "we had no idea players wouldn't like a horrible ending" DLCs.
My point is, those kind of DLCs are part of the game, and they only last as long as the publisher and the developer continue to support them. Wi-fi mystery gift is already an in-game, free DLC, and events are a form of (only sometimes) free "locational" DLC, So pokemon doesn't need DLC because it already has it, since its beginings, and the only thing DLC could be useful for is delivering events worldwide (as I said, wi-fi mystery gift) or increased customization options for characters (assuming the game is already well stocked of options, and the addition of more doesn't make the others useless).

Sorry for the rant, but DLC is a double bladed weapon, and in the long run, hurts the players more than the developers.

I think as far as DLC goes, it would be awesome if they would "add" in areas that contain Pokemon not included in the game, with a little side quest featuring an older character or something. Preferably free, but I would pay 2 bucks for that.

I kinda disagree with Artemis' earlier comment on one point- I would actually like to see an area that makes EV training even easier given out as DLC. Or at the very least, an area where you can obtain the "X wings" and vitamins for EASY EV training. Another 2 dollar buy for me as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that at E3 the developers were asked whether or not DLC was being planned for X and Y with the response that Pokemon X and Y would not included it.

That being said, I would love for X and Y to have a few DLC's released, maybe including some completely new pokemon or areas. Or taken in a different area, maybe an actual region itself. You would (of course) have to pay, but maybe Gamefreak and Nintendo could add on a whole region like Hoenn. Imagine that instead of making a whole new remake, just making an add-on instead. I would prefer remakes--but hey, it's Gamefreak we are talking about now.

professorlight said:
DlC is crap. All of it. Forever. And ever.

That being said I agree with all of the things said by frezgle and artemis.
Pokemon started the concept of pre-loaded DLC many years ago, so I'm glad masuda saw the monster they unleashed and is against it.

Someone said that the games would become unlimited with DLC, I don't think it means what he thinks it means, The very concept of DLC, microtransactions, MMOs and even cloud gaming have a expiration date; it's hardcoded ito the concept itself.
Take mass effect, for example, now it's all great, but when in several years I install the trilogy again for my children to play (because I have the physical discs, not a steam copy. Who knows what will happen to steam in the future?) they will be missing huge and important chunks of one of the best stories in gaming.
DLC might not be essential (ideally no, but that's hardly the case) but in cases of new areas, sidequests, cutscenes, additional plot development and more, those things are as part of the game as what came in the disc.
Continuing with my example: in the future, without arrival, my kids won't get why the batarians hate shepard and the scale of the conflict they are inmersed in, without overlord, they won't see the lenghts cerberus will go to achieve its objectives, without leviathan and the extended cut, that piece of **** ending will be a slap in the face, like the first time I saw it; omega effectively ends a whole character arc (Aria's), from ashes gives you one of the best weapons in the game, a kickass character, incredible insights into one of the most interesting races in the ME universe and a huge deal of character development for liara, and citadel seems to be a better reward for the player than those crappy, last minute, "we had no idea players wouldn't like a horrible ending" DLCs.
My point is, those kind of DLCs are part of the game, and they only last as long as the publisher and the developer continue to support them. Wi-fi mystery gift is already an in-game, free DLC, and events are a form of (only sometimes) free "locational" DLC, So pokemon doesn't need DLC because it already has it, since its beginings, and the only thing DLC could be useful for is delivering events worldwide (as I said, wi-fi mystery gift) or increased customization options for characters (assuming the game is already well stocked of options, and the addition of more doesn't make the others useless).

Sorry for the rant, but DLC is a double bladed weapon, and in the long run, hurts the players more than the developers.

Okay, you don't like DLC, we get that, but that also means you don't have to buy the DLC. You can be content with what you have, or you can go deeper into a story line. Just because a game has a sequel and can be outdated doesn't mean DLC for that game is bad. YOU choose to keep going onto the next game, YOU decide whether or not you want to learn more. You misunderstood as what I meant by infinite. Pokemon is already infinite in the fact that there's no factor forcing you to do anything, with a special time limit, you have every right to do as you will as long as you have the means to do it, thus having unlimited possibility. DLC would add on to this, as enabling people to go on to other regions, or even shedding light on lore. Honestly DLC only hurts players if it forces them to buy it for a good ending. But than again, you choose to buy this content, so that is your choice and therefore affects you only. No one is forcing you to buy anything, you are the one in control, and you are responsible for your own actions (no, I'm not bashing you, I'm just responding to what you said to me).

TL;DR Don't like it, don't buy it.

McMuffins said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that at E3 the developers were asked whether or not DLC was being planned for X and Y with the response that Pokemon X and Y would not included it.

I think when they were asked that question their response was something like 'That's a question we can't answer'.

It could be a pointer in either direction, I guess.

Back