BW/BW2 Did Black and White Versions Lack Obstacles?

RE: Was Black and White Versions to Easy to Beat?

IMO,Black and White are perhaps more of a grind than hard.Although the game in itself is easy compared to other RPG'S,certain new aspects or rather,mechanics of the game can make things a bit difficult.

Mechanics such as the new leveling system can make it a grind,and I imagine it a problem for those just beginning the pokemon franchise.Over all,the pair (As I said before hand) are quite easy,but imo,are indeed more challenging then previous iterations.

I as well thought it was quite easy but in the end it was a pretty good game.
In my opinion though HeartGold/SoulSilver was the best!:D

Dark Void said:
90% of the new pokemon are terrible too, competitively anyway.
And the remaining 10% is...about 15. Adding 15 completely new Pokemon to the OU metagame honestly does shake it up quite a bit and completely refurbishes it.
(Well, maybe not in the good sense, but it still refurbishes)

But on topic so the mods don't hunt me down or anything, the main story had to be easy so the kids can beat it. But I swear, Ghetsis's Hydreigon is too difficult for someone who's unprepared.

i agree that the game was easy. however, it was NOT boring. i played the story for 5 hours straight at some points, refusing to turn off the DS just so i can find out what was next, Team Plasma has one of the most serious goals in pokemon evil teams, trying to liberate the pokemon because they thought that the humans were causing them great pain (then why did THEY use pokemon?). the elite 4 was a breeze (i beat them with my level 55 darmanitan only for the first time through), though N and Ghetsis actually defeated me a couple of times (N beat me twice, Ghetsis beat me 5 times, even with my Zekrom, Darmanitan, and Samurott) Overall, it was fun and definitely NOT boring. i also had trouble with Cheren a coulpe of times, but overall, pretty easy.

supergamerfreak said:
i agree that the game was easy. however, it was NOT boring. i played the story for 5 hours straight at some points, refusing to turn off the DS just so i can find out what was next, Team Plasma has one of the most serious goals in pokemon evil teams, trying to liberate the pokemon because they thought that the humans were causing them great pain (then why did THEY use pokemon?). the elite 4 was a breeze (i beat them with my level 55 darmanitan only for the first time through), though N and Ghetsis actually defeated me a couple of times (N beat me twice, Ghetsis beat me 5 times, even with my Zekrom, Darmanitan, and Samurott) Overall, it was fun and definitely NOT boring. i also had trouble with Cheren a coulpe of times, but overall, pretty easy.

Were not talking about the plot of the game, just the walkthrough of the game, how there was no obstacles in the way. For example missing gym leaders, objects blocking the routes, etc.

ohhh, in that case, yeah, it was pretty straight through, requiring absloutely no strategy to get to the Elite other than defeat gym leaders and occasionally go through forests and cave. no place is non-story related until you defeat N and Ghetsis. now i can see what you people were talking about. no backtracking, no going through 1 path out of many, and definitely no additional thought required. hopefully (if they know what is right for the sake of pokemon), Nintendo will fix out these major kinks in Pokemon Gray, making it tougher, more time consuming, and requiring a whole lot more strategy, like story events requiring you to go back and fetch items, and hopefully you will be able to battle some of the other Plasma Sages, adding greater strategy for the walkthrough.

/me finds this thread after losing to Lenora. >.<

Pokemon's an RPG, so its only as hard as you want it to be. If you do 5 hours of grinding before each Gym with your 6 Pokemon, then yeah, it'll be an easy game. If you do a solo, a pick my Pokemon run, or a Nuzlocke, you'll find the game kinda tough.

I didn't find it too easy on my first run, because I limited myself to 4 Pokemon max on my team, and no grinding.

Bippa201 said:
* Bippa201 finds this thread after losing to Lenora. >.<

Pokemon's an RPG, so its only as hard as you want it to be. If you do 5 hours of grinding before each Gym with your 6 Pokemon, then yeah, it'll be an easy game. If you do a solo, a pick my Pokemon run, or a Nuzlocke, you'll find the game kinda tough.

I didn't find it too easy on my first run, because I limited myself to 4 Pokemon max on my team, and no grinding.

*Another person who dosen't understand this thread....great....*

What we mean is, there is no obstacles in the way... For example nothing blocking the routes, no grunts blocking gyms, etc. Hopefully you get what I mean...

My god, then you should have changed the title sooner, whoope de doo.
But yah, the lack of obstacles was actually a thing I didn´t really like.

No fetch-quest, or save-quest, or even a mandatory sidequest...

I honestly always found obstacles such as blocked routes / Gyms and missing Gym Leaders to be more of a pain than anything else. Unfortunately it's been a while since I played through the story mode of Black / White so I can't cite specific obstacles I found either acceptable or annoying, so I'm just going to have to say that from what I remember the flow of story mode in Black / White was nice without too many obstacles. The Region was interesting enough and large enough to make a more straight-forward approach enjoyable.

I personally did find this game to be a lot more straight forward, it's pretty much a straight shot from your house to the league. But what they have said since they first revealed Zoroark, this was a refresh to series and I think they just wanted to make a simple-clean game. I also think they focused on the pokemon and the story(imo, BW has the best story out of any of the main games) a lot more in this game, so that could also explain the rinse and repeat of routes and gyms. Also the fact that hms were pretty much taken out until after the e4. I mean I think you had to use cut once and maybe strength once? But I do have a feeling that they did that because of how much people hated using them.

scuba stevee, that is EXACTLY what i was thinking. the game focuses more on the pokemon and story, not the simple walkthrough.

scuba stevee said:
Also the fact that hms were pretty much taken out until after the e4. I mean I think you had to use cut once and maybe strength once? But I do have a feeling that they did that because of how much people hated using them.

This was one of the worst aspects of B/W. And I am glad someone brought it up.
Well, for me, unforgettable moves were a good idea. Instead of having 4 amazing moves in game you had to have have at least 6 mandatory HM's in order to continue in game. One for each member of the party. If anything, this adds more obstacles. Having to search for HM's and then figuring out which is the best Pokemon to give them too to continue in the bgame and wondering about future situations was the whole point of HM's. In this context I was kinda dissapointed with the game, no challenge, no thinking ahead. It was mindless. People don't think there is no real subconcious strategy to ingame. New games like B/W should influence this even more than the last new game. In this case, Platinum.

I also agree with supergamerfreak's post.

I completly agree with this. One example is after the 5th gym why did the gym leader get the galvantula's net out of the way for you, it would've been a lot better if you had to back track to get an item.

Yes, they did lack obstacles. However, I loved the lack of obstacles. I really dislike doing all the backtracking to complete tasks, so I loved Black and White because of its linear nature.

I want them to go back to the kinda thing they did in red version. But yeah I didn't like the way this game was layed out.

tanker said:
I completly agree with this. One example is after the 5th gym why did the gym leader get the galvantula's net out of the way for you, it would've been a lot better if you had to back track to get an item.

I completely agree!

Lugia ex said:
tanker said:
I completely agree!
I also agree with this. I loved how in HG/SS you had to go to Cianwood just to battle Jasmine.

White was easy. I only lost to the Elite Four once and that was only because I used Liepard over Krookodile, and N's and Ghetsis' battles were easy too. I didn't even use Zekrom because I wanted to EV train him, but I saved room for him in my party, so essentially I beat them with only 5 Pokemon. Krookodile is a beast in the Elite Four.

patrick329 said:
White was easy. I only lost to the Elite Four once and that was only because I used Liepard over Krookodile, and N's and Ghetsis' battles were easy too. I didn't even use Zekrom because I wanted to EV train him, but I saved room for him in my party, so essentially I beat them with only 5 Pokemon. Krookodile is a beast in the Elite Four.

Did you read the title? We are not talking about how easy these games were, were discussing the lack of obstacles. For example no objects blocking routes, no missing gym leaders, etc. Do you get what I am saying? :)

Back