Deck Rotations and the Effect on Decks

TheCharmanderTeen

I'm got Ho-Oh again. My final deck before I retire
When rotations happen some good cards get rotated out, right? Well what about entire decks getting rotated out? I'm a player of the deck VVV. When the next rotations come, VVV will be gone. One of the main parts of the deck (Vileplume) is from Undaunted. Undaunted will be rotated out next rotation. Vanniluxe, however, will still be in. Vanniluxe has been out for about a year. Therefore, this deck was only useable for about a year. When Vileplume is no longer playable, the deck will leave. So this deck was only playable for a year, when many people used it. It can't be edited either by a couple Pokemon and trainers. No, you would have to replace Vileplume. This is a very good deck. I know they don't think about this stuff when they make the cards, but I think that they should at least make some replacements in the next couple of sets for the huge gaps that will be left in this deck.

Yeah, you're totally right. I've been wishing for a Lilligent reprint of Vileplume, because I love using The Truth.
What about TyRam? We lose Typhlosion prime so most fire type decks, not just TyRam, lose alot of recovery. Now fire decks wont be gone because of Emboar, but I dont think we will see too many of them around after rotation.
And Kyurem/Feraligtr will be gone because we lose Feraligtr prime.
CMT loses Celibi prime, so that deck just wont exist. Mewtwo will still exist in every deck (other than strainght Terrikion) but without Celibi prime CMT just splits apart.

olimar1023 said:
Yeah, you're totally right. I've been wishing for a Lilligent reprint of Vileplume, because I love using The Truth.
What about TyRam? We lose Typhlosion prime so most fire type decks, not just TyRam, lose alot of recovery. Now fire decks wont be gone because of Emboar, but I don't think we will see too many of them around after rotation.
And Kyurem/Feraligtr will be gone because we lose Feraligtr prime.
CMT loses Celibi prime, so that deck just wont exist. Mewtwo will still exist in every deck (other than strainght Terrikion) but without Celibi prime CMT just splits apart.

You're completely right. Lilligent would also be a quicker set-up. Reshi-Boar EX and Zek/Eel will always be good decks to continue with. I'm okay with replacing cards like Pokemon Collector and Pichu. I just think that it will be way to hard to replace cards like Vileplume and Twins (if there isn't a newer one). I use to run LostGar. The Gengar Prime and Lost World combo. When those cards went out of rotation, i just replaced a few of them and used it another year. It just gets to the point where there are cards that get rotated that you just can't replace.

The idea behind the rotation is to keep the game fresh. It allows old decks to leave the format and brings new decks into the format, so there's more diversity in the game. And, looking in the past, I highly doubt that we'd skip a rotation again.

As for the topic at hand, I don't really like it when they give us cards that fill up the spaces from past cards. Like, something similar to Rare Candy, Juniper, PONT, or something along those lines I can understand, but giving us another Vileplume in the near future would just make the format more stale. Remember, with rotation comes adaption. Maybe some new cards coming out after the next rotation can result in another new deck that you really like?

If you're really worried about losing VVV, there's always Accelgor/Gothitelle.

Futachimaru said:
The idea behind the rotation is to keep the game fresh. It allows old decks to leave the format and brings new decks into the format, so there's more diversity in the game. And, looking in the past, I highly doubt that we'd skip a rotation again.

As for the topic at hand, I don't really like it when they give us cards that fill up the spaces from past cards. Like, something similar to Rare Candy, Juniper, PONT, or something along those lines I can understand, but giving us another Vileplume in the near future would just make the format more stale. Remember, with rotation comes adaption. Maybe some new cards coming out after the next rotation can result in another new deck that you really like?

I dont think a new Vileplume would make the format stale, I think the occasionsal fight against Trainer Lock is great. Right after rotation we all have a phase where most decks have a gap left in them, some decks are lost completely while some just are half full of unusable cards(lol).

Futachimaru said:
The idea behind the rotation is to keep the gamet fresh. It allows old decks to leave the format and brings new decks into the format, so there's more diversity in the game. And, looking in the past, I highly doubt that we'd skip a rotation again.

As for the topic at hand, I don't really like it when they give us cards that fill up the spaces from past cards. Like, something similar to Rare Candy, Juniper, PONT, or something along those lines I can understand, but giving us another Vileplume in the near future would just make the format more stale.

I'm not saying that rotation is a bad idea. Last I checked, VVV wasn't an old deck. I'm not just saying to make another Vileplume in a new set, I'm saying to make a Pokemon with the same affect. When you think about it, Vileplume is a better, more inproved Spiritomb. Vileplume can be on your bench with the trainer lock still wotking, when Spiritomb had to be active.

Making a card to replace Vileplume would increase sales I would think. With people knowing how good Vileplume was, wouldn't they want to get their hands on a newer, possibly better card that's similar to Vileplume?

olimar1023 said:
I don't think a new Vileplume would make the format stale, I think the occasionsal fight against Trainer Lock is great. Right after rotation we all have a phase where most decks have a gap left in them, some decks are lost completely while some just are half full of unusable cards(lol).

You are talking about exactly what I mean. Yes, some decks are completely gone while others lose some pretty important cards. This isn't anything new; it happens every rotation. This is why you need to adapt to the new format. Figure out new deck ideas that would fit into the metagame.

pokemonmbl said:
I'm not saying that rotation is a bad idea. Last I checked, VVV wasn't an old deck. I'm not just saying to make another Vileplume in a new set, I'm saying to make a Pokemon with the same affect. When you think about it, Vileplume is a better, more inproved Spiritomb. Vileplume can be on your bench with the trainer lock still wotking, when Spiritomb had to be active.

Making a card to replace Vileplume would increase sales I would think. With people knowing how good Vileplume was, wouldn't they want to get their hands on a newer, possibly better card that's similar to Vileplume?

While this is a discussion for another time, Spiritomb was more universal than Vileplume. It was a Basic Pokémon that locked Trainers early in the game to help setup your Pokemon (since it has a free Evolving attack).

For your second statement, that honestly depends on how the format turns out. If it's a format where the "reprint" would be good, then the reprint would sell for a nice amount of money. If not, then the reprint probably won't sell well. However, how much a card sells for isn't TPCi's concern; how much a card sells for is really the players's decision based on hype, supply, and demand.

Futachimaru said:
You are talking about exactly what I mean. Yes, some decks are completely gone while others lose some pretty important cards. This isn't anything new; it happens every rotation. This is why you need to adapt to the new format. Figure out new deck ideas that would fit into the metagame.

Compare what is being lost in VVV to what is being lost in Zek/Eel.

I plan on running VVV past the rotation. In fact, I only added Vileplume to my variation only recently. And it won't take much to take it right out again.
Just adapt to the format, just like what we did last year at Worlds, and then again each time a new set comes out. It's not a big deal. Some decks will go; others will stay. VVV, or at least a slightly-altered incarnation of it, is going to live past rotation. It loses, what, 1 Pokemon line? Work around it.

pokemonmbl said:
Compare what is being lost in VVV to what is being lost in Zek/Eel.

Unfortunately, that's how the rotation works. From the past, it doesn't seem as if cards are released with the rotation in mind. Really, I can't put it any other way than to deal with it.

Deus: Nightmare Autarch said:
I plan on running VVV past the rotation. In fact, I only added Vileplume to my variation only recently. And it won't take much to take it right out again.
Just adapt to the format, just like what we did last year at Worlds, and then again each time a new set comes out. It's not a big deal. Some decks will go; others will stay. VVV, or at least a slightly-altered incarnation of it, is going to live past rotation. It loses, what, 1 Pokemon line? Work around it.

Are you kidding me?!? The one main line of Pokemon that it loses is one of THE MAIN POKEMON!!! Without Vileplume it becomes VV with some other Pokemon in there. I'm just going to run this through worlds then build the deck that Darkrai EX will be in. I say this because I garentee that Darkrai EX will be in a deck.

Futachimaru said:

Except there is nothing you can do until the next set comes out and they replace some of the old T/S/S and a few pokemon.

pokemonmbl said:

Well Spiritomb was basic and could set up a Vileplume and keep up Trainer lock throughout the game. Yeah, making a new Vileplume would increase sales but they most likely will make us wait until Gothitelle is rotated to give us another Trainer lock card.

Does anyone think that Mewtwo EX's price will lower after rotation just because we lose Celibi prime? Sure it could still be used in ZekEels but will we have room in that deck for Mewtwo, Zekrom, and Raikou?

Futachimaru said:
Unfortunately, that's how the rotation works. From the past, it doesn't seem as if cards are released with the rotation in mind. Really, I can't put it any other way than to deal with it.

I agree that people like me with VVV will just have to deal with it. I just hope they make some kind of replacement to fill the gap.

VVV is nothing without Vileplume, your Victini's just get catchered and K.O.ed and your opponet can use switch to get their paralyzed pokemon out of the active position.

olimar1023 said:
VVV is nothing without Vileplume, your Victini's just get catchered and K.O.ed and your opponet can use switch to get their paralyzed pokemon out of the active position.

It isn't exactly nothing. I'm not 100% aware of what Gothitelle does, but that could replace it. You never know what will come out in the next set. There just might be something to replace it.

pokemonmbl said:
It isn't exactly nothing. I'm not 100% aware of what Gothitelle does, but that could replace it. You never know what will come out in the next set. There just might be something to replace it.

Gothitelle only has your opponet in trainer lock, not yourself, but it has to be active. If Gothitelle is active then you cant attack with Vanilluxe.

olimar1023 said:
Please don't tell me how to run my own deck.

Like I mentioned, I only added the Vileplume recently...only 2 weeks ago. Up until then I have been running it just fine without Vileplume, with quite a large degree of success. If anything, the rotation will make things probably better for me. Sure I'll lose Vileplume, but that's such a small part of the deck that I don't really care very much.

Like I mentioned, I only added the Vileplume recently...only 2 weeks ago. Up until then I have been running it just fine without Vileplume, with quite a large degree of success. If anything, the rotation will make things probably better for me. Sure I'll lose Vileplume, but that's such a small part of the deck that I don't really care very much.
Im not telling you how to use your deck, Im just telling you that if you use it against a deck that uses 3+ Catcher you will lose because they will take free prizes off of Victini and bring up other pokemon that cant attack, therefore runining everything the deck stands for.

What did you run before Vileplume???

@Olimar1023: I'm well aware of the risk of Catcher. It is a risk I take. However, Catchers don't last forever, and neither do Switches. I just basically try to play it smart and keep ahead of my opponent.

@pokemonmbl: Nothing special, actually. Unless you count Dual Ball as being special.

Back