Dealing with being an atheist among theists

PDC

The PDC Show comes to an abrupt end...
Everyday it seems my family hates me more and more because I am an atheist, and because the general public won't at least somewhat see my point of view, I hope some of you will.

Alright, now my view has changed considerably over the past few years constantly shifting back and forth, and I think I have finally come to a conclusion that I am an Atheist. But every single time I even try to express a free view, it almost seems that everything is completely blown out of proportion because of what I guess you could call free thinking. My parents literally believe that being an atheist is a crime and shows disrespect to the nation. I have a problem with this, and to be honest it seems that it is almost shamed upon to be a free thinking and not a sheep like everybody else.

American is a nation that was essentially brought upon through Protestant beliefs under the main branch of Christianity, and at this point this is not longer relevant to the extreme it once was. To call ourselves a free nation we had to accept the belief in other religions, and doing so only gratified our more wide spread view of thinking, at least towards other religions who believe in certain deities or other relations. But it seems that although different religions believe in completely different things, it is still ok for them as they do believe in "god" or one diety in the theory of the world being created by one single creator. I guess that it what makes them all accept each other to some degree. But it seems that no matter the free belief in religion, Atheism is frowned upon. Lets be honest here, it seems like being an Atheist is something that is not just frowned upon in any individual group of people, as being an Atheist means different things to different religions.

But does being an Atheist really mean anything different? Atheism requires faith just like any other religion, and because of this I feel that we are not too different even in requirements, despite completely different beliefs. Atheism requires a belief in some kind of different theory aside from a god creating this Earth. We believe in our own principles too, we don't need religion to tell us what is right or what is wrong, do we? That is called morality In a person, and for the most part, it is widely accepted as law without Christian or other religious principles. What is so different aside from our beliefs? We are on Earth for a reason, created by something, evolved or created, and that is why I feel that we as a community as a world should be open to everything. Open to everyone. Why do we have to disagree on a common goal of continuing the succes in humanity? Why do we need to disagree and fight over something that - no matter what - has improved society. I am talking about science here of course, and I feel that it is an extremely important part in continuing society. Humanity needs to expand and grow, now stay stuck to previous principles and not expand valuable assets such as space research and disease. It's almost like we can't work and think as one because of believing in different things.

And finally I would like to touch on how so many decisions are made through religion. Marriage is such a huge example of this. If I was an atheist and you were a Christian, would that prevent us from being together? Does religion - just a theory - really prevent things like this? Would somebody's personal beliefs make the difference between love and hate? What is so different, we are just people, and being together as one society and community is important the the continuation of society. There is no other way, we must work together and being judged no matter what religion, belief or non-belief, is plain out wrong. We aren't a single religion nation anymore, we are everything. America is everything that the rest of the world is. We are people no matter what belief have faith in, as even believing in nothing requires faith. Can't we all work together for a common goal? What is so different? When somebody says that love cannot be intertwined because of their personal belief, does this mean that the rest if the world agrees?

Re: Atheism

Bro, we are a minority. Either people accept us, or they don't.

Or the Christians start to say they're the true minority when they make up, what, 81% of the country, and start to spew off that Obama hates religion and wants to ban it even though he is very religious. >.<

No but srsly bro, I want to say it gets better, but in all honesty, it doesn't. You just grow a thicker skin. It isn't easy being green.

RE: Atheism

There is nothing wrong with being an Atheist. I'm a Christian and I accept you both, and every good-hearted person out there. If everyone accepts who they are or what they believe in, everyone else should too. Who believes in yourself stronger than you? This world really needs to show respect for all people, Christians and Atheists and every other group, and compassion for every single human being.

I have many friends that don't believe in God, but can I still call them friends?

Should everyone be treated equally, no matter what they believe in?

Yes. And Yes.

An essay on atheism
Let us commence a journey into the much travelled topic of atheism. Underestimate atheism at your peril. While it has been acknowledged that it has an important part to play in the development of man, it is yet to receive proper recognition for laying the foundations of democracy. Inevitably atheism is often misunderstood by the upper echelons of progressive service sector organisations, who form the last great hope for our civilzation. At the heart of the subject are a number of key factors. I plan to examine each of these factors in detail and and asses their importance.

Social Factors

Society is a human product. When Sir Bernard Chivilary said 'hounds will feast on society' [1] he was clearly refering to the impact of atheism on today's society. More a melody to societies dysfunctions than a parody of the self, atheism cleary plays a significant role amongst the developing middle classes.

When one is faced with people of today a central theme emerges - atheism is either adored or despised, it leaves no one undecided. It is intrinsically linked to adolescent inner acclimatisation.

Economic Factors

Do we critique the markets, or do they in-fact critique us? We shall examine the Spanish-Armada model. For those of you unfamiliar with this model it is derived from the Three-Amigos model but with greater emphasis on the outlying gross national product.
Inflation

graph_up_2.gif

atheism

Indisputably there is a link. How can this be explained? In spite of the best efforts of The World Bank inflation sings a very different tune. A sharp down turn in middle class investment may lead to changes in the market.

Political Factors

No man is an island, but what of politics? Comparing the general view of politics held by the poor of the west with those of the east can be like comparing atheism now, and its equivalent in the 1800s.

In the words of one of the great political analysts Maximilian Lionel Forbes Dickinson 'political change changes politics, but where does it go?' [2] What a fantastic quote. It is a well known 'secret' that what prompted many politicians to first strive for power was atheism.

Why did atheism cross the road? - To get to the other side! Just my little joke, but lets hope that atheism doesn't inspire similar hilarity in the next elections.
Conclusion

To reiterate, atheism deserves all of the attention it gets. It establishes order, influences the influencers, and it is human.

Here with the final word is Hollywood's Keanu Clooney: 'atheism is the new rock and roll! And the new opera!' [3]

[1] Sir Bernard Chivilary - Interestingly... - 1904 Badger Books

[2] Dickinson - I Am The Dickinster - 1999 Hughs Books

[3] Get On The Bus - Issue 321 - Media Books

There's nothing wrong with being an atheist or a Christian. Unfortunately, people don't seem to understand that. I myself am a follower of Deismus, so I believe that a superior being made this world rather than luck, but otherwise I disregard the Christians' views since I also think that such a being doesn't really bother with the salvation of mankind. So I face criticism from Christians, who consider me an atheist, and atheists, who consider me a Christian. But hell, that's just what I believe. It isn't good or bad, just an opinion. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. But that's no reason for people to hate me.

PDC, atheism does not require faith, it is the lack of faith. I personally do not believe anything.

The fact that family members do not accept you anymore because of your religion/lack of religion is something that is not common at all in Europe, I have never heard of this happen here at all. Is it that common in the US?

Yes. My grandmother actually considered disowning me.

81% Christian nation.

81% Christian nation.

This would depend on what you define as a "Christian." I'm not going to argue that Christianity is a minority because... well rofl. It's obviously not. But what your definition of a "Christian" is changes this fact drastically. There are several people out there who say "Yeah... I believe in God and stuff." However, they go to Church maybe twice a year (on Christmas and Easter), never really exercise any kind of faith in their every day life. Some people (like myself) would argue that these people are not really of Christian faith. If somebody only pays attention to a god 2 days of the year, and doesn't really exercise any faith, I am not really convinced they believe what that religion says they believe, and I think that no necessarily a majority, but a good chunk of the "81%" is a group of people like this.

Also fact: The USA is actually one of a very select few nations in the world (three total IIRC??) where the nation's population is growing at a QUICKER rate than the Christian population is. So Christianity is actually losing ground. Now again, I'm not arguing it's a minority and that it's under attack and blah blah blah. Christianity is still definitely the vast majority, but 81% seems a bit high.

...completely disregard this part if you were trying to use Hyperbole (exaggeration to make a point.) I sometimes completely miss that stuff. <_<

Anyways, being a Christian myself, I can honestly say that I've seen (sometimes within my own group of friends) what PDC is talking about here. It really bothers me to see other Christians go around rejecting others simply because they are atheists. That, to me, doesn't make any sense. To me, it's no different than judging someone by the color of their skin. Whether you're white or black, you're still a human. Likewise, whether you're Christian or Atheist, you are still a human.

Pokequaza said:
PDC, atheism does not require faith, it is the lack of faith. I personally do not believe anything.

The fact that family members do not accept you anymore because of your religion/lack of religion is something that is not common at all in Europe, I have never heard of this happen here at all. Is it that common in the US?

Ehh "lack of faith" is a rather loose term. "Lack of faith in a specific God/Deity" I think would be a better term. Atheism does still require (some would even argue a significant amount) of faith. You still have to have faith in some way of how we got here, why we evolved to be who we are, etc. This faith is just not based on a specific god or deity like Christianity and several other faiths are.

PDC said:
And finally I would like to touch on how so many decisions are made through religion. Marriage is such a huge example of this. If I was an atheist and you were a Christian, would that prevent us from being together? Does religion - just a theory - really prevent things like this?

I would say that it doesn't really keep people apart. If you need an example, look no further than [member]Pride[/member].

Actually, we have no faith. We don't know how we got here. And by we, I mean everyone. Atheism is saying "well, IDK how we got here, but I'm not going to believe that a supernatural being did it." It is the position of cosmic humility.

And lol@ people who still think that evolution is not a reality. Things adapt and change. It's how things work. If they didn't, they would die out.

Last but not least, the reason our population is growing higher than the Christian population is that we have a bunch of idiots having 6-20 kids and then those kids turn out to be idiots and identify with no group.

PellOfTheTundra said:
Actually, we have no faith. We don't know how we got here. And by we, I mean everyone. Atheism is saying "well, IDK how we got here, but I'm not going to believe that a supernatural being did it." It is the position of cosmic humility.

And lol@ people who still think that evolution is not a reality. Things adapt and change. It's how things work. If they didn't, they would die out.

Last but not least, the reason our population is growing higher than the Christian population is that we have a bunch of idiots having 6-20 kids and then those kids turn out to be idiots and identify with no group.

Umm... People are entitled to opinions, you know. Even if I believe that same logic, I don't think it that extremely because I've never experienced the opposing's idea.
And I think it's safe to say you blew the whole population thing out of proportion. Now for my response.

I am an atheist. I'm atheist because I'm tired of people looking at me in ways that I don't want to be viewed as. For instance, when I was still a Methodist, I was accused on separate occasions because I sympathized with an Islam belief, a Catholic belief, and I openly supported evolutionism over creationism. So, among other events, like not going to church and instead delving into paleontology when I was little, and when the Christians who did stupid s**t like burning the Qur'an and detesting other religions, and ultimately when the Westborough Baptists picketed a soldier's funeral (look, he died for your freedom. I'm sure he'll be happy to know that he died so his family could not pay their respects in peace because somebody abused their freedom of religion that he died for), I converted because it was a label I don't want to have. And I'm glad, because this is minority in my area, and I feel like that carries a lot of weight with what I say.

Point is, atheism is a wonderful thing. And I admittedly love to troll people who tell me I'll go to hell or not to use 'His' name in vain.

I am a athiest, but am afraid to tell my Dad's side of the family (Believe in god), my side doesn't care.

I think that the disrespect is very wrong, and will hopefully be changed.

Also, I don't care of whether you''re jewish or what, as long as you don't ring my doorbell, I'm ok.

Honestly, I can feel you. Being rejected by Christians because I believe in evolution and not in creationism, heaven and hell and being laughed at by atheists because I believe in a superior being is bad. And this doesn't apply in religion, it applies in other aspects of life too. But as TP03 said, we're all humans. So why do we act like that (again, because we're humans?)

If you join the United States for freedom, and you're being discriminated against, you know there's something seriously wrong here.

Few people truly are athiest, and im not arguing that you guys arent. Athiest means you truly beleive that there is no such thing as a Higher Power. Not at all. Most people fall into the agnostic category. People who beleive something is there, but dont know what. I'm not challenging any of your beleifs, if you actually are athiest, thats fine but I just wanted to clarify that athiesm isnt just " not believing in god". Its not believing in any kind of higher power. No heaven, hell,or any other greater spirit or power. Like I said, most people who claim athiesm are just undefined on what they believe in, but the believe in somthing they cant define.

I will say this again, this is not a post to challenge those who are athiests. If you are that is fine. I just think its important to clarify what athiesm really is (some dont know)

I do not, nor have I ever, believed in any variety of higher power. I believe in no god, no demons, no goblins or ghosts, nothing.

Let's set some things straight. There are a few misconceptions that I'm seeing pretty often... and I want to correct them.

First off, agnostic and atheist are not mutually exclusive. Atheism is the negation of theism, which is the belief in one or more dieties. Agnosticism is the negation of "gnosticism" which describes knowledge. There are four categories that we can derive from these words. There is an agnostic atheist, who does not claim to know there is no deity, but does not believe in one. There are gnostic atheists who do not believe in deities and claim they know there are no deities. There are agnostic theists who believe in deities but claim to not be 100% sure of it. Finally, there are gnostic theists who believe in one or more deities and claim that they know such deities exist.

Next, atheism only answers the question "do you believe there is a god?". Other than that one question, atheists are not united by any single thing. Many atheists accept evolution and some accept the big bang theory, but not all atheists do. Most atheists also accept the theory of universal gravitation, but that, like just about everything else, is not a uniting force between atheists. The only key point that all atheists share is that they lack a belief in one or more deities. For example, Raelians (people who believe that humans were put on Earth by aliens), in general, do not believe in a deity, so they are atheists. Most of them reject concepts such as abiogenesis or evolution by natural selection (they favor evolution by cosmic selection), but they have no deity, so they are atheists just like the OP. Scientologists and Buddhists (depending on their views of Brahmas) are also classed as atheists for their lack of belief in any deities. They have their own religions, but they're atheists.

Following the previous clarification, atheism is effectively the null hypothesis to the question "is there one or more gods?". The position is the default position. No faith (which is belief beyond evidence) required. Atheism is not inherently a position based on evidence either. People, by technicality alone, start out atheists and move towards believing in deities. People move away from atheism when enough support is given to support the hypothesis that one or more deities exist. If the concept of a deity is never introduced to a person (or if they never think of a similar thing on their own), they obviously cannot believe such a thing to exist. The same line of logic goes to the polka-dotted pencil eating dragon that I just came up with. Before I mentioned it, you had no belief in it, not based on evidence, but based on the fact that you probably never thought of the idea yourself (it is quite a geniusly created mythical beast). As I try to present my evidence for said dragon, you'll probably find that the evidence is fairly lacking, so you'll remain Apedragonists. Most atheists you'll talk to on the forums will accept certain theories, laws, and whatnot, so they will (hopefully) have evidence behind their reasons for accepting what they accept, but atheism inherently makes no claims about anything but the person's beliefs, so it has nothing to prove to be correct (unless the person is lying... which would be weird).

This hasn't been mentioned directly, but it has been implied, so I'll cover it (just because I love this quote). "Atheism is just as much of a religion as non-stamp collecting is a hobby". :)

"America is a nation based on protestant beliefs"... kinda... not really. Many of the early settlers were definitely protestants, however, by the time of the official creation of our country, the demographics were a bit more spread out. The Founding Fathers were very careful to ensure that America was a secular nation to ensure that all of its citizens had religious freedom (in contrast with Britain at the time which had a national church). As a result, they based our country on known successful forms of government (fun fact... Pennsylvania adopted the form of democracy we see today far before the Constitution was written) over any form of religious doctrine that might unnecessarily divide the country.

MOVING ON!

PDC, welcome to the club. We don't have an induction ceremony... cookies... or even a club :(. You do have a statistically higher chance of having whiter teeth though... I wish :( Yeah... there isn't much reason to be open with your lack of belief in your parents' deity of choice. Get some thick skin and rough it out IMO... especially if they're the ones pulling your financial strings. If you want, if you PM me, I can give you some sources to discuss this type of thing with like-minded individuals who went through the same type of thing you went through (and I may give you a cookie if I'm feeling nice). While you're still reliant on your parents, its best you play their game until you're free to express yourself openly and not have your source of income judge you. I genuinely hope your parents accept who you are... its awful having close family members who hate you for some silly reason. It may take them a long time, but don't give up. Just try to dodge all potential places of conflict and find common ground (perhaps family movie/board game night...). If you share any hobbies with your parents, show more interest in that... hopefully it'll help you see your common ground and the fact that you're family >.< When you're free to live on your own, you may have to triage the source of hate from your life (which is sad tbh... I can't imagine cutting off communication with my family). Hopefully they'll come around... just try to avoid the discussion as much as possible. I honestly don't know what to say because I didn't have to go through what you're going through, but I know where to find people who experienced the same thing you're experiencing right now. To take a page out of another minority's book, it gets better. :) Don't let your parents/family/friends get you down.

Lol, sometimes I just think that some Christians are hypocrites...(but who am I to judge? Matthew 7:1). I am a Christian myself, and I show no disrespect towards atheists, Muslims, gays, whatever. Christians are supposed to behave as Jesus Christ did: lovingly, respectfully. I forgot who but someone mentioned that their God-believing side would disown this member if he/she announced his/her atheism. This is most absolutely wrong. If you are a God-fearing man, you accept everyone. Some members of the Christian faith evangelize, but I'm indifferent to the practice because I wouldn't want someone trying to impose their faith on mine.

But you can't stop crazy people. There will always be "haters" and Confederates and people from the Westboro Baptist Church, (dare I call them a church...*shiver*), but it's a matter of remaining faithful, whatever that may be. If you're atheist, no problem. If you're Christian, ok. Don't let others try pushing your beliefs around, especially if you've found special meaning in them as I have mine.

I had highschool friends who tried with all their might to convert me. Like, there were 6 females (I had no male friends) holding me down and attempting to force me to believe.

Not even joking. I wish I was. But I'm not.

Atheism is broad, many people have their own definition of atheism. My take? I don't really care if there is/n't a God or not. Pretty much the only thing I don't like is when people try to force their beliefs on others.

I'm a Christian, and it completely shapes who I am. I rely on my faith day in and day out, and I don't know where I would be without it. To be honest though, a lot of "Christians" these days make me mad. So many people call themselves Christian, but then go and behave in a way that's against the Christian belief. Also, Christians (Or at least me) seem to get blamed for things done by Catholics, Jews and Mormans (God only knows how many times people have asked me if I believe in having multiple wives.)

I think a good example of my point would be Christian dating sites. There is no such thing, it's just a normal dating site calling itself Christian. It's not a Christian thing at all. If you really care to wind up with the person God chose for you, you would wait and pray, you wouldn't go talking to creepers on the internet. It's just another worldly thing calling itself Christian.

I guess another thing that bugs me is people trying to shove other beliefs down my throat. I don't shove Christianity down other peoples throats, so why do they shove Catholocism, Atheism, and and Mormanism down mine? Oh, and the theory of evolution as well.

Why can't everybody just live in peace, and not be hypocrites?

Back