Discussion Counters to Grass for the Primals

asdjklghty

-------------
Everyone should know by now that Grass will receive a bunch of support with the upcoming set Ancient Origins. There are 2 decks that some (especially me as a Groudon player) worry that won't be viable with all the Grass Pokemon lurking around.

The easiest counter is to hit them for weakness. I know! :eek: It's shocking right?! Well, I've thought about the non-Ancient Trait Entei.
Entei - Fire – HP120
Basic Pokemon

[C] Burning Scent: Discard the top 4 cards of your deck. Attach any [R] Energy you find there to your Pokemon in any way you like.

[R][R] Combat Blaze: 20+ damage. This attack does 20 more damage for each of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon.

Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

This seems to be splashable in Primal Groudon/Kyogre decks. The second attack can OHKO any Fire weak Pokemon if they have a full bench and Skyfield. It only costs 2 Fire Energy.
Another Fire Pokemon that seems cool is the Ancient Trait Magcargo. For 1 Fire Energy and a DCE, you can OHKO any Fire weak Pokemon EX! But best of all, it has Omega Barrier so it can't be Lysandre'd, Hammer'd, etc.

Now the question is, how consistent would the Primals be with Fire Pokemon? Especially Groudon. Would Weakness Policy be a good backup card? I feel that the Primals wouldnt be attacking quickly so maybe they can not use Spirit Links that often and prevent their weakness instead.

What do you think?

I personally will stick to Tool Retriever+Weakness Policy as a kind of counter. I already run it, so fitting a couple of Weakness Policy shouldn't be a problem. Or you could try using Lucario-EX, as when factoring in Strong Energy/Muscle Band/Fighting Stadium/etc it can OHKO Vespiquen, and you can use it to fight Vileplume/Sceptile EX.
On the other hand, M Sceptile could be handled by P Groudon, since you should be able to OHKO it with a couple of damage modifiers. If you do this, make sure they have 2-3 Mega Turbos in the discard so that chances are they won't have another one loaded up next turn.
If you run Focus Sash, Hawlucha is able to handle/soften up M Sceptile and pretty much any Grass EX.

Maybe Charizard EX (Slash-izard) can be good here. It hits for 160 Max (with muscle band), but most Grass Pokemon viable with Forest of Giant Plants are less then 170 HP. It can also help against the Metal matchup which can be hard for Primal Groudon to get past Aegislash.
It also works solely colorless energy. AND, if you did want to use fire energy in Primal Groudon, it would work with Scorched Earth.

I personally will stick to Tool Retriever+Weakness Policy as a kind of counter. I already run it, so fitting a couple of Weakness Policy shouldn't be a problem. Or you could try using Lucario-EX, as when factoring in Strong Energy/Muscle Band/Fighting Stadium/etc it can OHKO Vespiquen, and you can use it to fight Vileplume/Sceptile EX.
On the other hand, M Sceptile could be handled by P Groudon, since you should be able to OHKO it with a couple of damage modifiers. If you do this, make sure they have 2-3 Mega Turbos in the discard so that chances are they won't have another one loaded up next turn.
If you run Focus Sash, Hawlucha is able to handle/soften up M Sceptile and pretty much any Grass EX.
True but what would be your backup for Item lock? And also, the build of Groudon I'm using is imo the best one which is Grobbuffet. No other Pokemon except those. But may consider the Dragonite one as well.

True but what would be your backup for Item lock? And also, the build of Groudon I'm using is imo the best one which is Grobbuffet. No other Pokemon except those. But may consider the Dragonite one as well.
In that case you could just add the Weakness Policy without the Tool Retriever, but then you wouldn't be able to use any other tools, not to mention Weakness Policy can be dead in some match-ups.
Under Item lock the plan is to use Landorus/whatever other attacker you run instead of Groudon, which is where Lucario becomes useful. Grass won't be able to OHKO any of your EXs for a turn or 2, and won't Item Lock for about the same period of time, so you have enough time to set up a cheap attacker or even a Groudon if you draw well. Things should be a lot easier if you can keep their Stadium off the field.

But then again, this all is theorymon, we'll have to wait to see if it actually works :p

I would play Flareon ARO. It's nice because you can get KOs with non-EX landy with it's second attack, which does 90 base.

Weakness Policy for Primal G is one of the best answers - M Sceptile 3 shots you, Unseen Claw 2 shots, gives you time to KO stuff or heal or switch or whatever.
Dealing with item lock - Promote a fett or try Hex Manic shenanigans to drop the tool card.

Primal Kyo just cries in a corner - it cant one shot Mega Sceptile allowing it to heal, and its tool cards are vulnerable to removal.

I would play Flareon ARO. It's nice because you can get KOs with non-EX landy with it's second attack, which does 90 base.

Eeveelutions only change the type of Stage 1 Pokemon

Back