'CoroCoro' Reveals Volcanion

Garchomp and Mewtwo I'm alright with. braixen is like gardevoir because it's going to open the door to more of the creepy fanart seeing as they're the postergirls for it right now.

That being said, it opens the door for more NFE pokemon like Scraggy who has a chance. Scraggy currently has no involvement in the game at all (no support Pokemon, not a spectator, etc.) so there's a chance they're working on him.

Braixen?? In terms of fire starters they had emboar and infernape but they go with...braixen? Not even delphox? Oh well, it could be worse.

@Professor Palutena

Smash is a completely different game. Most of the characters they work with are human/humanoid, just like with other fighting games. Sure they are made different but no one complains about it because its expected but this is Pokemon where many different species exist. We all know some get shafted just from a design standpoint but they are playing the roster too safe for no reason at all. There are a lot of interesting choices they can make, but they sticking with humanoid fighters.
Compare it to Tekken or Street Fighter then. They're better comparisons considering the Tekken team is making this game. It's not so much a safe roster as it's traditional.

Plus I'm having a hard time seeing something like Charizard, Pikachu or Sceptile as humanoid. Sure they're bipedal with arms, but we don't really have tails, wings or claws.

That being said, I agree with what you're saying in terms of design. I'm a big supporter of Ledian and Vespiquen for this game, but they don't seem to be very likely. However, design is nearly always secondary to gameplay in terms of fighters, and this is why the game is turning out this way.

Compare it to Tekken or Street Fighter then. They're better comparisons considering the Tekken team is making this game. It's not so much a safe roster as it's traditional.

Plus I'm having a hard time seeing something like Charizard, Pikachu or Sceptile as humanoid. Sure they're bipedal with arms, but we don't really have tails, wings or claws.

That being said, I agree with what you're saying in terms of design. I'm a big supporter of Ledian and Vespiquen for this game, but they don't seem to be very likely. However, design is nearly always secondary to gameplay in terms of fighters, and this is why the game is turning out this way.

What Im saying is this isn't Tekken or Street Fighter, its Pokemon and Pokemon doesn't comprise of bipedal humanoids. Sure BamCo is making the game but they need to respect the Pokemon IP since they are making the game. The roster does have some good choices when when you look at it, Suicune is the only Pokemon on the roster that isn't bipedal and or humanoid. I do know a lot of Pokemon are bipedal and stand on two legs but a lot of them are birds and other species of Pokemon like Nidoking, Zangoose and a handful of dragon's like Flygon.

Charizard does have tekken moves on him, sure but Charizard does feel like Charizard. Pikachu on the other hand is as tekken character. Both the Pikachu in the game dont act like Pikachu as all. Pikachu (both) have a persona created for this game and if they can do this for Pikachu (in a interview, they said they had a problem getting pikachu to animate right so they had to redo it many times) then there isn't any reason they cant do this for other Pokemon with short stubby limbs and secptile just looks odd because again, it does things a secptile wont do.

I really want this game to feel like a Pokemon game. I'm a bird trainer, so I want to use birds. May are in fact. May are dragon trainers, bug trainers, etc so they should have that option here as well. Like I said some Pokemon get shafted just from a design/physic stand point (fish Pokemon floating out of water) but may Pokemon (birds, snake/serpents, quadrupeds, inanimates, bugs and kaiju) are perfectly usable but they pick the safe bipedal and/or humanoids. I want them to make good choices here and if your source is correct that the roster will only be 20 Pokemon, 16 of which are known, this mean 15 of the possible remaining 4 will be bipedal humanoids.

You can see why I worry. A lot of others are also showing concern as well.

Back