Comparing Japanese and English Cards!

adam44

Aspiring Trainer
So I'm thinking of collecting Japanese cards instead of English cards, even though I like english cards more but the price for japanese packs is so much lower than english.

But anyway I would like help with comparing the different versions of the cards (english and japanese), so I can figure out if the text is too big of an issue for me to start with japanese cards.
I've been looking for some pictures of the same cards but I don't no if it's the different light or something else that makes me want some help from you. (can't explain it better) :D

Thank you in advance!
/ Adam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyN-Wua5FeY

This is a nice video. I don't have any pictures, but Japanese cards are thicker and glossy. They also reflect light more because of this I think.

Quick points I thought I should add:

- JPN Packs do cost less, but they also contain less cards and do not include a code (this means you get less "junk" cards).
- Notable JPN cards often retain their value just as well if not better than English counterparts (there are exceptions).
- Pull rates with JPN packs are generally more consistent and generous than English packs.

That's true too ^^

Japanese boxes usually have around 10 holos (of which 3 EX or other rarer cards). So that's 3 (sometimes 4) out of 100 cards being an 'ultra rare'. english boxes contain 360 cards and give about just as much ultra rares. So the pulls are definately better. The only thing you can't get in a (newer) Japanese box is multiple full art cards, which is possible in an English box.

From a collector's standpoint, I honestly feel that Japanese cards are a better value, for many of the above stated reasons. Another thing that hasn't been brought up yet is the quality problems that have been common with English sets; cards being scratched, miscut, etc. in the pack, so you aren't even guaranteed a mint card by pulling it yourself anymore. I started collecting Japanese cards around BW3 and I stopped collecting English after Plasma Storm. The only real regret I have is that I wouldn't be able to use these cards to play in official Pokémon events, since you're no longer allowed to use foreign cards in your deck, but I've been a bigger collector than player for a long time anyway.

Thank you for all your post!
I've decided to buy one Wild Blaze box and see if like it or not :D

I'm considering switching to collecting Japanese cards, I don't play with them so I guess not being able to read them won't matter to me and as much as I like reverse holo commons/uncommons, I can deal without them as it'll just save me money not needing to collect them and I guess the Japanese cards are glossier anyway.

About how many boxes does it usually take to collect the entire set of C/U/R cards, excluding RR and SR cards? Collection X for example only seems to have 8 rares and I hear the average is 10 rares per box, so is it possible to complete the entire C/U/R set with just a single box?

May even sell what I got of XY and buy a box of Collection X and Y. Would just be a bit frustrated at the loss I'd take then, but I'm already frustrated at the loss in terms of value of what I pulled anyway so may as well cut my losses before I invest more into XY. I've heard that AmiAmi is a good place to buy boxes but they don't provide shipping costs unless you actually place an order. Anyone know around how much two boxes to the US are?

Shrike said:
I'm considering switching to collecting Japanese cards, I don't play with them so I guess not being able to read them won't matter to me and as much as I like reverse holo commons/uncommons, I can deal without them as it'll just save me money not needing to collect them and I guess the Japanese cards are glossier anyway.

About how many boxes does it usually take to collect the entire set of C/U/R cards, excluding RR and SR cards? Collection X for example only seems to have 8 rares and I hear the average is 10 rares per box, so is it possible to complete the entire C/U/R set with just a single box?

May even sell what I got of XY and buy a box of Collection X and Y. Would just be a bit frustrated at the loss I'd take then, but I'm already frustrated at the loss in terms of value of what I pulled anyway so may as well cut my losses before I invest more into XY. I've heard that AmiAmi is a good place to buy boxes but they don't provide shipping costs unless you actually place an order. Anyone know around how much two boxes to the US are?

AmiAmi shipping is posted here.

Familiar said:
Thanks for the link. Even if just two boxes are the same price that's still cheaper than buying from eBay, and of course significantly cheaper than English boxes. Starting to see why people rave about collecting Japanese cards here.

I was missing (I think ) two holos and one EX from X and one holo and one EX from Y. If you know the right people, getting those singles is very cheap. I did complete my X and Y sets with one box of each and some. I don't collect the full arts though, any I like I'll keep and the others will be traded.

Shrike said:
Familiar said:
Thanks for the link. Even if just two boxes are the same price that's still cheaper than buying from eBay, and of course significantly cheaper than English boxes. Starting to see why people rave about collecting Japanese cards here.

If you do not mind waiting SAL Small Packet (Registered) is more cost effective than EMS but is slower. I just received a SAL Small Packet (Registered) from AmiAmi today. It took over 3 weeks. I do not recommend SAL Small Packet (Unregistered), you need tracking.

omahanime said:
Shrike said:

If you do not mind waiting SAL Small Packet (Registered) is more cost effective than EMS but is slower. I just received a SAL Small Packet (Registered) from AmiAmi today. It took over 3 weeks. I do not recommend SAL Small Packet (Unregistered), you need tracking.

Agreed. I think of it like this: while I wait an extra two weeks to receive my boxes they are likely becoming more rare and accruing a slight bit of value.

Is tracking really neccessary, because I am thinking of buying one box and registered is double the shipping cost compared to unregistered, so then I think "Air Small Packet" is better because it's almost the same cost but it will arrive 1-4 weeks earlier.

omahanime said:
Shrike said:

Yeah, whenever I import stuff I always ship registered. Tracking's always good in case something goes wrong and it's not delivered.

One more question, I was looking at card lists and noticed that the Xerneas and Yveltal half decks are made of exclusive cards not in Collection X and Y. Are all Japanese decks like this, meaning you need to get them and can't skip out on them like with most English decks?

That is true. The Japanese preconstructed decks are actually new cards and much cooler than the English "starter" decks that are released internationally. Sometimes you will even get new EXes and stuff in them, too, like the Charizard deck that's being released with Wild Blaze.

Air Small packet takes 5 days (after that stupid incident where it took over a month!), registered SAL 11 days. I've got some stuff coming in with unregistered SAL too. Stuff really doesn't take that much time to get here, but I make sure to never order above 22 euros again!

adam44 said:
Thank you for all your post!
I've decided to buy one Wild Blaze box and see if like it or not :D

Ohh! I'm looking forward to hear/see what you will pull.. :)

I was about to order from AmiAmi when I saw that Collection Y is sold out while Collection X and both half decks are on back order; this is just temporary right? I can't believe sets would be dropped from sale this fast, Wild Blaze isn't even out for a couple more weeks.

Shrike said:
I was about to order from AmiAmi when I saw that Collection Y is sold out while Collection X and both half decks are on back order; this is just temporary right? I can't believe sets would be dropped from sale this fast, Wild Blaze isn't even out for a couple more weeks.

They're out since December, some older sets are on back-order but stuff like EBB is sold out. I think Y might be restocked, but I'm not sure. Back-order shouldn't be a problem, AmiAmi always gets the stuff I back-order really fast.

Sold Out stuff sometimes comes back if it's recent. You may wish to just put the item on your "wish list" and check back occasionally. Back Order stuff should be fine to order.

Back