Challenge Accpeted

XieRH

Aspiring Trainer
40d80857c1615a5af4758d8c7638d230-d37v3fw.png

Someone please teach me to draw motion lines. I no know how :(

...I mean, I manually stroke them and somehow I know that's not how it's done because you can't get a straight line by manual stroke

This is fantastic!

...and I think your motion lines look fine regardless. :)

Okay, so you need to make them darker, and longer. Make them SUPER-EXAGERATED. That's the only way I can get them done.

Commented on this on dA, very funny.

2 Things. First, did you make it "accpeted" on purpose? Also, you need to make the motion lines more visible, like Aggiegwyn said. I really like the drawings and story though!

What I normally do for motion lines is draw a few lines in the direction I want on a different raster layer, then use the Zoom motion blur effect in the proper direction to make the lines blurred and more dynamic, then flatten them onto the image. Using the Zoom motion blur will straighten the lines out, too.

@Hyperbeem: Of course XieRH meant to make it "accepted", why?

I got a good laugh out of the comic, XieRH. I'm not much of an artist so I guess your best bet is to go with Xous xD

I think I rather like the thin lines that XieRH does. I love the way it looks that way, it gives it an edge that I would like to see more of. Great artwork by the way.

@Sinnoh I was talking about the spelling but it's probably a typo. Anyways, I never said make the lines much thicker, just do something to make them stand out. I like your angle variety on the lines though!

Very Funny. The motion lines look great. If you want them to be longer, just blur them, but I don't thunk they should be darkened. They look fine :]

I am definitely not taking aggiegwyn's suggestion. SUPER EXAGGERATION of motion lines will obscure the picture as extremely as the projectiles in a touhou game.

What I normally do for motion lines is draw a few lines in the direction I want on a different raster layer, then use the Zoom motion blur effect in the proper direction to make the lines blurred and more dynamic, then flatten them onto the image. Using the Zoom motion blur will straighten the lines out, too.

Well this is about as far as I can go with that approach.
48768728.jpg

It's still a bit far from the thin lines I need. Probably need to practice a bit. Plus the motion blur risks blurring the entire line, when typically I find that motion lines are better when they are not blurred, but rather with a fade in/out along the ends.

EDIT:

What my friend told me on MSN
96430116.jpg

*laughs*

I gotta try this.

It's partly motion lines, but that's not enough to carry all of the energy in a picture. Another thing you need to focus on is how you pose the action. A great deal of information is conveyed with how the subject holds itself. Jalorda's body in the last panel is perhaps too curved to suggest a fast strike, I'd try a more straight and tilted action line as opposed to the curved one hitting the ground at a right angle.

actionlines.png

Could also play around with your colouring style, for the action frame I'd suggest strokes moving along Jalorda's direction of motion.

Urgh, this posting made me realise just how detestable the name "Serperior" is...

Back