Card Sleeve Discussion

Riskbreakers

The Brilliant Star☆
RE: Which sleeves to use?

I call those Ultra Censored. I personally just use Anime sleeves from Bushiroad since I'm a tournament judge anyway and don't play much big tournaments. I've been hearing good things about Dragon Shields though

ImminentOwl

Collector and general Pokemaniac

I've not been playing too long, and thus haven't had much chance to really break the sleeves in, but I use basic Ultra Pro Mattes, they don't look amazing (I have a plain green design) but equally there aren't that many times that your cards are turned over to face down, apart from the Prize Cards and Deck, so even though they don't look great they work pretty well. I have yet to find anything wrong with them, and for a year or so before this I used Ultra Pro sleeves a lot of Yu-Gi-Oh, and have yet to have one break on me.

r3skyline

UAV MECHANIC

Ultra Pro Matte, Players Choice, and KMC are the best quality sleeves on the market for any card game.

nitemaresb

Aspiring Trainer

the new sleeves that came in the plasmaBox are really nice! seen a few people with them today at my league

RotomRules64

I'm actually a... MAGIC MAAAAAAAAAAN!!

I used Raikou/Suicune/Entei sleeves from HS Unleashed, and three years later they are scratched, bent, torn in some places, and very dirty. My problem with sleeves is they are either too small or come in packs of 50. I bought soeme Japanese sleeves. They were expensive, but so far work great. I am just worried about humidity bending the cards...

Cortel II

I am the Doom master

Dragon shield are one of the best sleeve on the market. I have been playing tcg's for about 9 years (various different games) I have a set that I have rotated through 4 different card games over 4 years and through many big tournaments. I've only ruined 1 sleeve and that was intentionally trying to rip the welding apart. All I ended up doing to he sleeve was stretching the clear front. It didn't effect the welding at all.

Ultra pro sleeves are fine they're cheap and effective but will scratch easily and break with heavy play they also don't have the best uniform cuts as I've got several packs the Dont sit evenly together. But if you just need sleeves for a new deck to play with or at friendly games they're fine.

I've used the pop sleeves before they're pretty, some of the prettiest :) but the break like glass :-(

Overall dragon shield is the best I've ever used and defiantly worth the money.

ImBlue

Aspiring Trainer

I've used Ultra Pro and they work fine. Of course I'm not too serious, so I don't know how they would hold up at something like a city or regional tournament, but they get the job done.

Riskbreakers

The Brilliant Star☆

ImBlue said:
I've used Ultra Pro and they work fine. Of course I'm not too serious, so I don't know how they would hold up at something like a city or regional tournament, but they get the job done.

They don't. They snap fast in exchange for that nice shuffle feel.

Shinigami

Pokemon Loremaster

I've got 4 sets of Ultra Pro Matte, two sets of which I've had for over three years (!!!), and two sets of Pokemon sleeves : The B/W Reshiram/Zekrom sleeves (also Ultra Pro), and a set of the 2009 series Professor sleeves.

I remember Ultra Pro disappearing from the market for a while, and when they came back, the sleeve quality had changed. That being said, I've used nothing but Ultra Pro since I started gaming in 1999.

EricDent

Aspiring Trainer

Here are my thoughts on the Prerelease sleeves I have:

Diamond & Pearl (Lucario):
Blue with white interior.
Have had them for literally years and they still look great.
No tearing, no warping, and no breaking.
Seriously these are awesome, grab some if you can!

Arceus:
Silver with foil interior.
Haven't really played with them often.
But the quality seems a bit low.
Might have issues with the sides/seams coming apart.

Rotom:
Blue with silver foil interior.
Similar to the Arceus ones, but maybe a bit sturdier.
Unlike the other foil sleeves, doesn't seem to fade on the edges.

Plasma Blast (Genesect):
Purple foil with silver foil interior.
Look amazing, seem like good quality.
Only concern is they are also silver foil interiors, and the foil seems a bit more rigid.
Maybe prone to creasing or bending if not careful.
It should be noted that you do get 4-5 extra sleeves just in case.

Garchomp:
Burnt orange foil with silver foil interior.
Maybe it's just cause I used these a lot, but the edges are pretty banged up.
Sometimes they even split near the edges.
Which is pretty bad if you play in tournaments (I mostly play casual).

Dusknoir: Red foil with silver foil interior.
These are a lot better than the other foils.
I have had these for a few years, and besides some wear around the edges, they still look good.
Another one to get, if you can find them IMO.

Celibi:
Green foil with silver foil interior.
Despite the good look, these are really prone to seperate on around the edges.
Probably best to avoid them IMO.

Most of the other sleeves I have are either Ultra Pro or some other brand.
That brand comes with 100 sleeves (usually foil) for about $7 IIRC.
Only issue with those is sometimes the backs of the sleeves wear out leaving a silver "spot".

Basically the best thing to do is to keep them in the deck boxes (especially those "capsule" kind).
So they don't get too much heat/sun/etc.

MMAmonchan

Pokemon = Dota2

Dragon shields are VERY tough, but they do clump quite a bit as they get dirty easily. I recently bought a pack of KMC sleeves... they are the greatest things ever. They shuffle so smoothly you would swear they are coated in butter.

Vulpix Yolk

\ \ durant gang \ \

It's got to the point where I exclusively play with Dekprot sleeves. Very great sleeves, a wide variety of colors, high quality, and CHEAP. Just bought 480 of them for under 30 bucks off of Amazon. I've been playing in them for a couple seasons now and I absolutely love them. They are somewhat similar to Dragon Shield. Pretty much impossible to split, and feel very nice when they are slick and brand new. However; if you play them for too long, they eventual stick together more than other sleeves, and the edges begin to ware down. Not much of a problem, this occurs after several months and it's only slightly noticeable and you can pile shuffle your deck with ease still. Ultra Pros are a nice option, but I always split them during tournaments, they don't work for me because of my shuffle style. Dragon Shield also seem high quality, but I've never actually played in them before. I personally would recommend Dekprot. Did I mention they also come in sets of 60? Yeah, that's always nice, but I'm pretty sure they're available in different quantities as well.

Ulricke

Eeveelution lover

I use Pokemon Center sleeves. I´m not a hard core player so the haven´t had any trouble with the quality. I like the various cute motives, always got compliments on it when I lived back in Norway.

Serperior

~
Advanced Member

I have these Japanese Shaymin sleeves. After using them for two days at Nats, they've lost a little of their luster and stick a little. They're still great sleeves, and I haven't had any problems yet.

ECHOxLegend

All-Seeing Trainer

I use the generic sleeves from the local shop that are literally called Japanese Green Sleeves, and they are slippery at first but that how most sleeves are, they get better and if you use them enough the plastic parts gets kind of scuffy but I have never had a single one break, except for the time I ran over one with my desk chair, good thing there was no card in there.

I recently got the genesect sleeves in the trainer box and those feel very nice but I haven't had much time to play with them or really a deck to put in them.

arcanine227

Need something interesting...

I use ultra pro sleeves. I have been using them for years and not one problem yet.

It2Zoroark

Aspiring Trainer

I play magic the gathering as well as pokemon and all of my decks are played in purple dragon shields. Very durable sleeves that last 2-3 if not shuffled very rough. They DO get dirty quickly though and the clear plastic can become blurred if not cleaned regularly. They come in 100s though so its a good sleeve for the price.

Frost Mage

Pegasususus
Sleeves

What kind of sleeves do you use for your collection and playing? I use blue UltraPro sleeves, they're about $6 for 100 and blue is my favorite color. :) What about you?

Thirsty

Aspiring Trainer
RE: Sleeves

I use the Japanese Red (charizard) vs Green (venusaur) sleeves. Have 62 of them and hold up very well.

bagoly14

Collecting is expensive -_-
RE: Difference between Ultra Pro Matte Sleeves and Ultra Pro sleeves?

Always have used and always will use...KMC perfect fit + KMC Matte black for collecting, KMC Matte black for playing or any intriguing design japanese pokemon center sleeves.