Card Errors Database (Include Images!)

RE: Errors or Fakes? Cosmos Foil Zapdos & Moltres ex from FRLG

They are real, I have all 3. So, I was hoping they are real. *Whew*

RE: New Errors and Misprints Thread

Jungle Pikachus with the 1st edition stamps were placed into some Jungle packs.

Red-Cheeked Pikachu was not from an "experimental" run. After the original art was done, someone noticed Pikachu's cheeks were Yellow instead of the normal Red, and changed them. However the original artist had intended for Pikachu to be doing the Thundershock attack which causes his cheeks to turn yellow.
For print runs, the only print run I can saw for definite which had both was the Shadowless print run. (Please note, both 1st edition and Shadowless cards came form the same print run). Contrary to popular belief, in these print runs, it is actually the yellow cheek version which is rarer, as all booster packs had red cheek versions, with the yellows only being found in Zap theme decks. I don't recall ever seeing an Unlimited or Base 2000 red cheek Pikachu.

Team Rockets Dark Dragonite non-holo error, can be found in both 1st edition and Unlimited.

Platinum Dialga Reverse Holo, all are errors, never corrected.

Base Set Blastoise, some were printed without the word "Stage" in "Put Blastoise onto the Stage 1 card"

Base Set Wartortle, some had a picture of Wartortle in the evolution box instead of Squirtle.

Fossil Zapdos, I believe the only corrected versions are from "Fossil 2000", a limited print of 5 cards from the Fossil set with altered copyright dates, released in a box set after the main set had been released.

Promo Legendary birds, the incorrect artists name is due to the artwork changing when the cards were translated. Toshinao Aoki is the error version, Naoyo Kimura is the corrected version. Naoyo Kimura version is rarer.

Upside Down back errors, these cards all have some copies with the backs printed upside down:
POP 5 Mew Holo (corrected is rarer)
POP 5 Pikachu Holo (error is rarer)
DP15 Shinx (unknown which is rarer)

Prerelease stamped Tropical Tidal Wave.
Some print of the 2005 Tropical Tidal Wave were stamped with Prerelease and inserted into Prerelease Bayleef packs. Only two have ever been found, one in French and one in Italian.

2009 Tropical Wind error.
20% of the English Tropical Winds were printed with the number DP25 (which was the number of the 2008 print) rather than DP48. The effected the stamped cards too, from the Staff cards all the way up to the Finalist cards.

Prerelease Raichu.
The holy grail of error cards. Stamped in error when Prerelease Clefables were being made, then kept an open secret for years before finally being revealed officially by Mike Boozer in 2006, and finally getting a public sale in 2009.

I have a RH Magnemite from EX Dragon with a hole in the holographic-ness where a resistance would be. I know that several other people have found similar holes on these Magnemites, have any such holes been found on other cards?

Production:

Base Set 2/110 Blastoise A few copies of this card were printed without the word "Stage" over the card it evolves from Limited Error

^ Should be 2/102

Base Set 6/102 Gyarados A few copies of this card had the collection number too far to the left Limited Error

^ All Unlimited Base Gyarados are like this. I don't think there is a corrected version.

Base Set 17/102 Ninetails A few copies of this card did not have the damage for the attack Fire Blast printed next to the attack Limited Error

^ Only available in Shadowless and (possibly?) 1st edition print runs.

Jungle First Edition 2/64 Electrode A number of cards from the First Edition printing of Jungle had the Base Set Electrode artwork instead of the Jungle artwork Limited Error

^ This only happened with the regular rare 1st edition Electrodes, not the holos. (18/64)

What about the RH TV Reporter from EX Dragon? Was that a misprint?

That's rare because TV Reporters were never printed as reverses in the US, only in Europe.

tybike said:
Just to be heplpful I would add some pics. Kinda hard to match without them. Just pull them off of the other thread.

I agree with this. Even if we don't have all of them, having the names of the cards direct you to an image of the original and the error would be awesome.

silentsword77 said:
That's rare because TV Reporters were never printed as reverses in the US, only in Europe.

Yeah, so would it be posted here?

Pop Series 5 Mew Delta Species (the fire one). I have one where the back is upside down.

Misprint Articuno

All the Articuno that were pulled at our prereleases had the holofoil effect missing on the bottom 1/4th of the image. At this point the background image is also mismatched as the stars on either side are cut in half and mismatched.

Anyone else seen this?

A couple of shiny Emboars at my PR's had the foiling going through to the back of the card. As in the large rings going around Emboar on the front were also on the back.

Thought that this misprint Moltres that I pulled today should belong here. The foil doesn't go all the way down the picture:

moltres.jpg

I keep forgeting to post here! -.-

I have a Ferroseed ND that has a weird blotch behind the set logo, it's almost like they printed two set logos on it by mistake, and one didn't make it all the way.

I know it looks like the holo isn't completely on Moltres, but I think that's the point. A lot of the newer cards only have holo in the far background. In the Zapdos and Articuno cards, they're in a thunderstorm and in a sky with an aurora, respectively. Now, most of ND is based off of images from Castelia City in Black/White. Isn't it possible that the non-existent chunk of holo is just the sea that they're flying over? For example, look at Zapdos:
41-zapdos.jpg
Yeah, it looks like the bottom third has no holo. But at the very bottom, it looks like waves in the sea. I think the bottom third isn't supposed to have holo, but just water that the birds are flying over.

That could be the case. Just look at Leavanny:

3-leavanny.jpg

The Japanese BW3 Moltres has holo in the bottom third, though. The background is a darker blue, but there's still holo lines there.

I'm pretty sure these missing patches of holo isn't intended and I think I know how this happen. Take a look at the first 5 holos in this set: Moltres, Chandelure, Articuno, Vanilluxe, and Zapdos. All five of those cards are missing holo at the bottom of them, but the only one I think that was intended not to have holo at the bottom is Vanilluxe. The next 5 holos: Luxray, Gardevoir, Lucario, Scrafty, and Cinccino seem to be missing holo in random places, except for one card, Scrafty. Now to get to my point, it seems that the first 5 holos went through the same machine using the holo pattern for Vanilluxe while the last 5 went through the same machine using the holo pattern for Scrafty. This makes sense because Scrafty and Vanilluxe are the only two holos that seem to not to be missing any holo.

Of course this is just a theory, but I think at least those 8 holos are errors.

scuba steveE said:
I'm pretty sure these missing patches of holo isn't intended and I think I know how this happen. Take a look at the first 5 holos in this set: Moltres, Chandelure, Articuno, Vanilluxe, and Zapdos. All five of those cards are missing holo at the bottom of them, but the only one I think that was intended not to have holo at the bottom is Vanilluxe. The next 5 holos: Luxray, Gardevoir, Lucario, Scrafty, and Cinccino seem to be missing holo in random places, except for one card, Scrafty. Now to get to my point, it seems that the first 5 holos went through the same machine using the holo pattern for Vanilluxe while the last 5 went through the same machine using the holo pattern for Scrafty. This makes sense because Scrafty and Vanilluxe are the only two holos that seem to not to be missing any holo.

Of course this is just a theory, but I think at least those 8 holos are errors.

Did you read the past few posts? The cards aren't errors; they were they printed was TPCi's intention.

The holo printing for BW cards is supposed to cover the background, but not the focal points in the background. For example, look at Cinccino. The clothes sign and the railing are not holo, but the buildings and the sky behind it are holo. This is because the clothes sign and the railings, along with Cinccino, are the main focal points. The same goes to Lucario, as it and the buildings are not holo, and in Scrafty's card, it and the buildings are not holo as well. If you look closely, the same goes for every other card in this set.

Back