Can Someone Explain all the Prefixes Please?

MrOptimistic

Aspiring Trainer
I checked a couple of other topics but couldnt find what I was looking for. Im pretty confused as to what all the prefixes are about when posting a new thread. NXD-on, BW-on, BCR-on, Unlimited? lol sorry im a bit new to pokemon and epspecially this forum. Thanks for any help I recieve =)

RE: Can someone explain all the Prefixes please

The -on terms typically refer to the standard competitive play formats used each year. For each season, only a certain selection of recent TCG sets is allowed to be used in tournaments. To keep these sets fresh recent, the oldest ~3-5 sets in the current selection are "rotated" (removed from play) each year. The resulting format is referred to by its oldest sets-on (since all sets released after that one would be allowed). BW-on, or Black and White-on (the TCG set) was used in the 2012-2013 season. Then, the sets Black and White, Emerging Powers, and Noble Victories were rotated, resulting in the NxD-on (Next Destinies-on) format for the 2013-2014 season. Finally, for this current season (until the next World Championships), we are using the BCR-on (Boundaries Crossed-on) format.

Unlimited refers to a format which allows cards from any set that has ever been printed for the Pokemon TCG, starting with Base Set. Because of the wide variety of long-rotated, broken cards, this format generally isn't used for competitive play (and there are no official tournaments that use it), and is more commonly used for casual play at leagues, where new and young players may not have all the newest cards to play with.

There is also the Expanded format, which is used at some sanctioned tournaments, but generally only for the top-cut of larger event (such as Regional tournaments). This format allows players to use cards from any set that has been printed since Black and White (essentially an updated version of BW-on). Don't stress too much about this one, because you probably won't run into it too often.

EDIT: Just as a note, generally 3- and 2-letter acronyms are just contractions of set names. Here's a list:

• BW, BLW = Black and White
  • EP, EPR = Emerging Powers
  • NV, NVI = Noble Victories
  • ND, NXD = Next Destinies
  • DEX = Dark Explorers
  • DRX = Dragons Exalted
  • DV, DRV = Dragon Vault
  • BC, BCR = Boundaries Crossed
  • PLS = Plasma Storm
  • PLF = Plasma Freeze
  • PLB = Plasma Blast
  • LT, LTR = Legendary Treasures
  • XY = XY (The Set)
  • FLF = Flashfire
  • FUF = Furious Fists
  • PHF = Phantom Forces

Oh thanks so much Auride, I really appreciate it!
So if I am posting a deck of mine that has a few from each new set, should I just put the latest set in the prefix?

MrOptimistic said:
Oh thanks so much Auride, I really appreciate it!
So if I am posting a deck of mine that has a few from each new set, should I just put the latest set in the prefix?

When posting deck lists, especially in the Deck Garage forum, use (in the title) the prefix refers to the format to which the deck adheres. Generally speaking, you build a deck explicitly with a format in mind (usually the Standard format, at the time of posting BCR-on). But if you happen to have just built a deck with respect to no particular format, you will generally want to refer to the most restrictive common format for which the deck is still legal, simply because doing otherwise would be disadvantageous. Generally, Standard is more restrictive than Expanded is more restrictive than Unlimited.

Back