XY Breeding Mechanics in Pokémon X / Y

RE: New Breeding Mechanics in Pokémon X / Y

It's such a pain at times though. For the most part I've had pretty good success breeding for the IV's and natures I want. However, when re-introducing the natures it just doesn't go according to plan. I had 2 quint parents which when breeding (over 300 eggs) the best I could come up with was 2 quad pokemon with the right nature. So I either have to be content with the right nature and only 4 perfect IV's, go with the quint with the wrong nature, or go with the quint with the right nature and wrong IV's. Kinda sucks when I've been having good success with others.

P_A2 said:
It's such a pain at times though. For the most part I've had pretty good success breeding for the IV's and natures I want. However, when re-introducing the natures it just doesn't go according to plan. I had 2 quint parents which when breeding (over 300 eggs) the best I could come up with was 2 quad pokemon with the right nature. So I either have to be content with the right nature and only 4 perfect IV's, go with the quint with the wrong nature, or go with the quint with the right nature and wrong IV's. Kinda sucks when I've been having good success with others.

If you give an Everstone to the parent with your desired nature. It 100% gaurantees the passing of the same nature to the offspring. If you gave a destiny knot to one parent, and an everstone to the other. You wouldn't have to hatch hundreds of eggs and rely on luck. :)

That's the easy part. I did that. I had over 100 pokemon offspring with Adamant nature. What I didn't have was the 5 IV's of either parent. Hell I was even getting pokemon with only 2 perfect IV's when both parents originally had 5.

I don't have the game in front of me since I'm at work, but I believe I was trying for 5 IV's perfect except for SpA with an Adamant nature. I had one of the parents with 5 IV's but wrong nature, and 5 IV's except Atk, and right nature. Gave the destiny knot to the first one and everstone to the other. I could get lots of 2, 3 and 4 perfect IV's pokemon with Adamant nature but for some reason not the 5th or 6th perfect IV pokemon. It was very frustrating.

Hell I was even getting pokemon with only 2 perfect IV's when both parents originally had 5.

This isn't possible.
Like, at all.
I'd double check that both your pokémon are 31/31/31/x/31/31 and make sure they're holding the Destiny Knot.

31--31
31--31
31--31
Xx--xX
31--31
31--31

If Destiny Knot passed 6 IVs, each baby would be perfect. Since it only passes 5 IVs, there is one variable. That means that each baby can hatch with no less then 4 IVs.

Keeper of Night said:
Hell I was even getting pokemon with only 2 perfect IV's when both parents originally had 5.

This isn't possible.
Like, at all.
I'd double check that both your pokémon are 31/31/31/x/31/31 and make sure they're holding the Destiny Knot.

31--31
31--31
31--31
Xx--xX
31--31
31--31

If Destiny Knot passed 6 IVs, each baby would be perfect. Since it only passes 5 IVs, there is one variable. That means that each baby can hatch with no less then 4 IVs.
it is possible if the two 5 perfect IV parents have mismatched imperfect stats (like x/31/31/31/31/31 and 31/31/31/31/31/x)

Yes, that's exactly what happened iSharingan. I've had pretty good luck in the exact same situation with other pokemon breeding quints with different perfect IV's with the everstone to get the IV's and natures I want, but this one pokemon was very resistant - like I said, for over 300 eggs. I just don't have the time to waste trying up to another 300. Yes, I suppose the breeding system is somewhat better in X/Y, but not always. There's still a certain amount of luck involved.

I wish it wasn't possible. Then I wouldn't be here talking about my bad luck breeding Scyther for a good Scizor. It wouldn't be quite so bad if I had a problem with breeding let's say Kangaskhan. That way if I don't like the one I planned on using, I'd just level up another one that was somewhat suitable. I'm sure there are ways of acquiring another metal coat, but I haven't seen more than the one I currently have. So I don't wanna waste it.

@Ishar, doesn't matter. 2 IVs still isn't possible.

X--31
31--31
31--31
31--31
31--31
31--X

With one variable, the minimum is still 3 IVs.

Hmmm, beats me how it happened. For all I know maybe it was a case of genetic regression! I'm more than willing to show you my 3DS and you can figure it out for me if you like. Might be tough though since I'm way the heck and gone up here in the Great White North (Canada - for you younguns out there). Like I said, I got lots of 2's, but I suppose they were mostly 3's and 4's. However it was just frustrating that it didn't produce the quint or perfect IV pokemon with the nature I wanted.

one of your parents must have only had 4 perfect IVs, rather than 5. If both were 5s, the distribution would be primarily 4 IV mons, a few 3, and even less 5.

Twin Pokemon

I'm playing XY and I had a ditto and a Zoroark at the daycare. I was biking in circles and back and forth down the route (waiting for the eggs). The daycare man finally turned around and somehow I wound up with two more eggs instead of one (i had 2 other eggs in my party at the time as well as a lvl1 poochyena) they did end up hatching at the same time though. One is Modest, likes to fight, and the second is Naughty, likes to relax.

New Breeding Mechanics in Pokémon X / Y

I'm having a weird hard time with breeding this time around. I've also started to dabble more in competitive play and EV and nature training but let me give you an example.

I was breeding a Ferroseed so I got a male Klefki and a female Ferroseed to get spikes on Ferroseed. Put them in the daycare....they don't get along so it takes forever. While they make eggs I go grab a male Roselia for leech seed (seriously why does Ferroseed not learn these things?!) finally get my female Ferroseed with spikes after about two hours. Breed it with the Roselia but once again they don't get along so it takes another half hour for them to even give me an egg. Finally just ditched the Roselia and pulled out my Ditto to continue the breeding for natures....and the Ferroseed and Ditto don't get along either so it was another 5 hours...yes 5 hours before I got the nature I needed .-. Why can't these pokemanz just get along?

If both pokemon have your OT and are different species, they won't get along very well. This can be mitigated by using one traded pokemon and/or by completing your Kalos pokedex (thus getting the Oval Charm)

catutie said:
I'm having a weird hard time with breeding this time around. I've also started to dabble more in competitive play and EV and nature training but let me give you an example.

I was breeding a Ferroseed so I got a male Klefki and a female Ferroseed to get spikes on Ferroseed. Put them in the daycare....they don't get along so it takes forever. While they make eggs I go grab a male Roselia for leech seed (seriously why does Ferroseed not learn these things?!) finally get my female Ferroseed with spikes after about two hours. Breed it with the Roselia but once again they don't get along so it takes another half hour for them to even give me an egg. Finally just ditched the Roselia and pulled out my Ditto to continue the breeding for natures....and the Ferroseed and Ditto don't get along either so it was another 5 hours...yes 5 hours before I got the nature I needed .-. Why can't these pokemanz just get along?

Do you have one ditto or multiple? I caught Ditto of every nature I need so by using an Everstone I can easily get the nature I want. After I get the nature I can continue with moves/IV.

I figure I will post this here just so that maybe anyone that has experience with this issue or thinks they have encountered it can speak their peace:

So apparently, according to MANY people conducting research on Smogon, using Poke'Banked Pokemon for breeding effectively cancels out either Shiny Charm or Masuda Method OR BOTH. There are reports of people using 6IV foreign Dittos (from Bank) and whatever else, and hatching 1000 or more eggs without seeing a single one. This is in direct contradiction with the overall research done so far (mostly before people had Bank and 6 IV Dittos to use).

NoDice said:
I figure I will post this here just so that maybe anyone that has experience with this issue or thinks they have encountered it can speak their peace:

So apparently, according to MANY people conducting research on Smogon, using Poke'Banked Pokemon for breeding effectively cancels out either Shiny Charm or Masuda Method OR BOTH. There are reports of people using 6IV foreign Dittos (from Bank) and whatever else, and hatching 1000 or more eggs without seeing a single one. This is in direct contradiction with the overall research done so far (mostly before people had Bank and 6 IV Dittos to use).

Using a parent that was tranferred via Pokémon Bank? Or using offspring of Bank Pokémon in general?
For the past week, I have been breeding a Japanese Ditto (XY) and a Totodile (offspring of Bank Feraligatr) with no shiny to be found. So this definitely interests me!

Prince Dedenne said:
NoDice said:

Using a parent that was tranferred via Pokémon Bank? Or using offspring of Bank Pokémon in general?
For the past week, I have been breeding a Japanese Ditto (XY) and a Totodile (offspring of Bank Feraligatr) with no shiny to be found. So this definitely interests me!

Sorry I probably didnt word that right, Ive been up since early AM w/ only 4 hours of sleep x_x . Anyways, yeah, using a Pokebanked foreign parent (no pentagon)for MMing is what I meant. Alot of people are reporting using 6IV foreign Ditto's and not getting shinies after hatching 1K or more eggs.

I personally am assuming that Banked parents (not offspring since they earn a pentagon from hatching in Kalos) are flagged to not work for MM, and Shiny Charm alone doesnt lower the shiny rate enough with breeding (or at all) to allow for a lower shiny rate with Banked mons either.

I have bred quite a few shinies just simply using foreign Kalos mons along side my own for MMing, and have had consistent luck 8 out of 9 times breeding 300 eggs and then mass hatching them. 7 of the 8 I recieved 1 shiny, with 1 of the 8 having 2. So there is definitely something going on(or not going on) with MMing and Pokemon transfered through Bank.
EDIT: roughly how many eggs do you think you have hatched PD? And are you positive that Ditto has a Pentagon in its summary?

*phew, I haven't wasted a week of my life* :p
That's still a very interesting find, and I could definitely see Game Freak integrating that into the code. It may possibly be a way to prevent people from MM'ing their hacked flawless Bank Pokémon.

Uh-oh. I have a foreign Ditto from bank that I would like to use to breed shinies. If this is true, things just got a bit more annoying. Although I was very successful with my Shiny Amaura, the parents were both Aurorus with the father being from Japan.

Is there solid evidence that a foreign 5IV ditto with no pentagon, the odds return to 1/4096? Lucky for me I do have a foreign Braixen but I had hoped to breed some powerful Togepi's and Venipedes afterwards.

Honestly, I see no reason for a MM nerf for transferred pokemon. There is also no way to test this for sure, as you could just be 'unlucky' like at any other time when breeding, etc. Decompiling the game's code will need to be done to know for sure, and that will likely be in the [semi-]distant future, if at all.

Theres really no concrete evidence or testing to prove that Bank'd mons negate MM, its just a very high coincidence that many (not all though) are having much, much lower shiny odds with 6IV Bank'd Dittos. Thats pretty much why I asked to see if anyone here had ran into a similar "bad luck" streak using either a Bank'd randomon or Ditto for MMing.

Back