Bluffing: What's Legal and What's Not

^ or giving them a free prize when some one goes "bright look, duskull" because you didnt candy it that turn...

Or when people say Power Spray and they're not playing SP. I love that one.

dmaster out.

dmaster said:
Or when people say Power Spray and they're not playing SP. I love that one.

dmaster out.
Yeah, I do that at like BR's sometimes with my friends =]. Not at anything bigger though, 'cuz it's more serious.

I believe there actually is a penalty if you hold one card acting like it is a Power Spray since it can be used to manipulate an opponents action. I can't remember what it is off the top of my head, but I do know that it was announced at the start of a tournament I went to a while back. I play the game without trying to act as though I have something I don't. Honesty and Integrity are two of the Professor Core values, as such, I believe in just playing completely honest and don't try to lie out of a situation. Lying to event staff is certainly something I would penalize players on if I caught them. You could certainly play a Duskull in your deck, but not have a Dusknoir because there is no rule saying you have to have the evolved version of any card you put the basic of in your deck. You could also do the reverse if you don't want to get a Duskull start.

What it really comes down to is that if you have good sportsminship then you won't bluff and be a jerk.

T

dragonexpert said:
I believe there actually is a penalty if you hold one card acting like it is a Power Spray since it can be used to manipulate an opponents action. I can't remember what it is off the top of my head, but I do know that it was announced at the start of a tournament I went to a while back. I play the game without trying to act as though I have something I don't. Honesty and Integrity are two of the Professor Core values, as such, I believe in just playing completely honest and don't try to lie out of a situation. Lying to event staff is certainly something I would penalize players on if I caught them. You could certainly play a Duskull in your deck, but not have a Dusknoir because there is no rule saying you have to have the evolved version of any card you put the basic of in your deck. You could also do the reverse if you don't want to get a Duskull start.

I'm not going to read this whole thread but the only rule on bluffing that I'm aware of is "A player is not allowed to lead on another player making them change their mind and manipulate their desicions." There for you CAN NOT say oh "Well I might have power spray."(form of leading on and bluffing) or "Oh if you hit me with so and so attack that will be knockout"(form of leading on) when they could use another attack to say snipe Claydol. You are NOT allow to lead on another player so simply but bluffing is a form of manipulation and leading on and as a Judge I would issue a warning and probably game loss if it was a S/P/TC-RC-NC-WC tournament. (Cities I'd just issue a warning, and BR lolBRs.)

Hmmm... Very interesting thread. When I'm playing a friendly match with my little brother, I bluff him all the time. It's funny to see some of the decisions he makes just because I say "I know what your going to do," or, "Are you sure you want to do that?" I would never do that in official matches though (tourney, league).

Heheh, bluffing. I can't bluff worth a cent. I suck at it, so it wouldn't help me anyway :p But I think you can only go so far with it. But yeah, I'm just reiterating what a lot of others have probably said!

Darkartisan said:
Whatever it takes to win

This attitude is very distressing to me. There's a very distinguishing feature of our game: SotG. Yu-gi-oh, Magic, Bleach, Naruto, WoW, none of those have the Spirit that our players do. The attitude an overwhelming majority are displaying in this thread are completely counter to the Spirit that represents our game.

If you are not going to proudly display your SotG, please do not play our game. Bluffing should never be an issue. If you wouldn't want someone to do it to you, don't do it to them. It's a simple respect that every player should display to their opponent.

ApachePrime said:
This attitude is very distressing to me. There's a very distinguishing feature of our game: SotG. Yu-gi-oh, Magic, Bleach, Naruto, WoW, none of those have the Spirit that our players do. The attitude an overwhelming majority are displaying in this thread are completely counter to the Spirit that represents our game.

If you are not going to proudly display your SotG, please do not play our game. Bluffing should never be an issue. If you wouldn't want someone to do it to you, don't do it to them. It's a simple respect that every player should display to their opponent.

To bluff or not to bluff? To win, or not to win? It's just like poker, with strategy and luck. You bluff legally. Pokemon players [competitive] players have no other intention than to win.

I honestly don't mind if opponents bluff, because I can't do anything about it. What if they bluff and I don't? I'm at a severe psychological disadvantage that could cost me the game.

To be quite honest, I play, bluff (legally) win, and go hangout with my friends and wait for the next round. Why waste time at a tournament to not win? Why be at a disadvantage when a [good] player bluffs?

ApachePrime said:
And here is the quote for the thread.

Here is a better one spell checked lol

What it really comes down to is that if you have good sportsmanship then you won't bluff and be a jerk.

T

Darkartisan said:
To bluff or not to bluff? To win, or not to win? It's just like poker, with strategy and luck. You bluff legally. Pokemon players [competitive] players have no other intention than to win.

I honestly don't mind if opponents bluff, because I can't do anything about it. What if they bluff and I don't? I'm at a severe psychological disadvantage that could cost me the game.

To be quite honest, I play, bluff (legally) win, and go hangout with my friends and wait for the next round. Why waste time at a tournament to not win? Why be at a disadvantage when a [good] player bluffs?
The thing is if you don't bluff you might lose but you will be known as the better player. Which is what you want to be known and to be nice.

T

Darkartisan said:

There are plenty of GREAT players right here in Florida that win without saying a word. Jim Roll, Aaron Curry, Jason K, and our current World Champ. I play all of them regularly, and never once has one of them lied or "bluffed" me. They showed me the respect of not leading me to believe anything, and I did the same.

This is NOT poker. Jason K will be the first to tell you that. I didn't say I had a problem with playing to win. However the attitude of "Anything to win" is a horrible disposition to have.

If you need to lie to your opponent and run your mouth to win, then you aren't good at this game. Period.

^ I agree with you to a certain extent but bluffing doesn't always mean running you mouth. Simple body actions can contribute to an effective bluff.

Stephen S did say "oh shoot" and bluffed his opponent to use power spray. That was legal since no one said anything.

Back