Bluffing: What's Legal and What's Not

Bluffing is just part of the game, you have to make decisions your opponent is going to play there field to draw you away from there main interest, best way to do this is to make some-one think your setting up something else thats a bluff but it aint illegal is it, its intelligent game play

The game is poker (facial expressions) without saying anything. Practically every card game is.

dmaster out.

Darkartisan said:
To bluff or not to bluff? To win, or not to win? It's just like poker, with strategy and luck. You bluff legally. Pokemon players [competitive] players have no other intention than to win.

I honestly don't mind if opponents bluff, because I can't do anything about it. What if they bluff and I don't? I'm at a severe psychological disadvantage that could cost me the game.

To be quite honest, I play, bluff (legally) win, and go hangout with my friends and wait for the next round. Why waste time at a tournament to not win? Why be at a disadvantage when a [good] player bluffs?
If you have no intention other than winning, you probably shouldn't be playing a game. A game is supposed to be fun. When a game ceases to be fun, it will die off. Pokemon has never been about winning; it has always been about having a good time with people that have a common interest.

dmaster said:
The game is poker (facial expressions) without saying anything. Practically every card game is.

dmaster out.
It is not like poker. In poker every deck has the exact same contents; Pokemon, each person's deck is unique.

Tristan said:
Here is a better one spell checked lol

What it really comes down to is that if you have good sportsmanship then you won't bluff and be a jerk.

Then you can be horrible at the game. Have fun losing? No rudeness intended it's truth

T

Darkartisan said:
To bluff or not to bluff? To win, or not to win? It's just like poker, with strategy and luck. You bluff legally. Pokemon players [competitive] players have no other intention than to win.

I honestly don't mind if opponents bluff, because I can't do anything about it. What if they bluff and I don't? I'm at a severe psychological disadvantage that could cost me the game.

To be quite honest, I play, bluff (legally) win, and go hangout with my friends and wait for the next round. Why waste time at a tournament to not win? Why be at a disadvantage when a [good] player bluffs?
The thing is if you don't bluff you might lose but you will be known as the better player. Which is what you want to be known and to be nice.

T

ApachePrime said:
There are plenty of GREAT players right here in Florida that win without saying a word. Jim Roll, Aaron Curry, Jason K, and our current World Champ. I play all of them regularly, and never once has one of them lied or "bluffed" me. They showed me the respect of not leading me to believe anything, and I did the same.

This is NOT poker. Jason K will be the first to tell you that. I didn't say I had a problem with playing to win. However the attitude of "Anything to win" is a horrible disposition to have.

If you need to lie to your opponent and run your mouth to win, then you aren't good at this game. Period.

I never run my mouth. I may make facial expressions. according to a few people, OUR WORLD CHAMPION said "oops" when he knew that he could bait his opponent into spraying his card FTW. I may say, darn bad hand, or horrible prizes. When my opponent says that, however, I completely disregard it, because THAT'S WHAT A GOOD PLAYER DOES. Well maybe I should rephrase "anything to win". Obviously I wont sabotage my opponent or whatever, but bluffing is part of the game. SOTG is helping little children make decks, yugioh doesnt have that, no other card game really does.

Now competitively speaking, it's a whole different ballgame. Yes all the players you named are good, but i'm sure that they bluff too, don't kid yourself.

dragonexpert said:
If you have no intention other than winning, you probably shouldn't be playing a game. A game is supposed to be fun. When a game ceases to be fun, it will die off. Pokemon has never been about winning; it has always been about having a good time with people that have a common interest.

dmaster said:

dmaster out.
It is not like poker. In poker every deck has the exact same contents; Pokemon, each person's deck is unique.

Oh really? That's interesting to know. Maybe for YOU, Pokemon has always been about having fun. For me though, I play to win. Many people play to win. Some will play, get lucky and top cut or win a tournament and have fun/win, but I tell you, most people that don't at least top cut DO NOT have a good time and end up going home aggravated or annoyed. Now when I lose yeah I can get over it but it's pretty irritating, don't say it is because i'm sure when you lose to a donk, a close match, generally when you lose, you are irked. Don't be fake online.

Uhm, yes it is. Every deck runs roseannes,bebes,staples. There are a few key cards to be unique but otherwise you can pretty much figureout how many sprays,egains,etc a player plays.

READ: Now there's no need to start a flame war. I just posted what I believe. I am not attacking anyone, I am just expressing my feelings about the topic. Don't get mad, i'm not trying to hurt your feelings. If I do, I apologize.

-Artisan

A deck doesn't have to be 100% the same to lie, cheat, make facial/body expressions, and/or bluff like in poker.

dmaster out.

I can proudly say that I have fun and actually do do well in tournaments, although I miss top cut a fair bit of the time from resistance. Do I always top cut? No I don't, but at least I have fun. I don't always play a well known deck either. I prefer to do my own builds and come up with unique ideas. Its all about the Spirit Of The Game Professor Core Value to me.

Darkartisan said:
Well have fun with that, I play to win.

Considering how often you do that, I think the rest of us that debate the other side of this argument are having more fun.

No feelings are hurt. Quite a bit of respect is lost. I know for a fact your League Leader would not support you in this debate, nor would many of the people you play with.

Spirit of the Game is so much more than "helping little kids with their decks" and if you can't see that, You should be playing a different game. Period.

I think that a majority of Professors, League Leaders, and Tournament Organizers would feel this way too. Nicely put ApachePrime.

dragonexpert said:
I think that a majority of Professors, League Leaders, and Tournament Organizers would feel this way too. Nicely put ApachePrime.

I think I can put it better, as the answer is never to turn a player away.

SotG is what make this game so special. It's very near and dear to me, because I've seen people grow immensely thanks to this game. If the reason you play is only to win, YOU are missing out on the best parts of this game.

I've played some rude players, but 99% of the people I've played I have become friends with. I didn't bluff or deceive them and they didn't do either to me. I didn't lead them to believe I was going to do one thing or another. I played the game to the best of my ability. The majority of players I've played did the same out of respect for me, and we had a great time. Some of my best friends I've met through Pokemon, and only see once or twice a year at Pokemon events.

I can't stress enough how much bluffing and deception hurt this game as a whole. It really truly bothers me to see the smart kids I know posting some of these things on here. I just hope you guys can turn it around and avoid underhanded tactics. You'll be better players and better people because of it.

would you agree to say that playing to win isn't wrong if the reason to win is to prove self improvement, and if thats the case then whats wrong with bluffing, if you try and entice your opponent to try and bluff you, make the game as much a battle of minds as it is a battle of decks.

I feel we can agree that even with 2 net decks if the players are trying to out do each other mentally instead of out doing the opposing field the game becomes much more personal and the winner knows they earned the win and there opponent knows that the best player won and that next time it'll be there chance (maybe).

ApachePrime said:
Considering how often you do that, I think the rest of us that debate the other side of this argument are having more fun.

No feelings are hurt. Quite a bit of respect is lost. I know for a fact your League Leader would not support you in this debate, nor would many of the people you play with.

Spirit of the Game is so much more than "helping little kids with their decks" and if you can't see that, You should be playing a different game. Period.

Apparantly you know me?

What happens when two people play the exact same deck, one gets a horrible start, the other gets a good start. Theyre both good players. The player with the bad start wins. You think that things like that happen because they draw into things? No, they mindfight. Power sprays promote bluffing. If the creators of the tcg didn't want bluffing, they would've never made the card.

Power spray honestly is the epitome of bluffing. SP players, when they mirror, whoever uses their sprays more effectively and can decieve the opponent will usually win.

You probably think I cheat now too? From the way you word things it definately seems that way. Sorry, but bluffing is a legit strategy, so if you don't like to do it, your loss. I'm friends with whoever but if we're playing, friendship moves to the side for me, until that game is over.

Lastly, who are you to decide if I should be playing a different game? Please answer that. That goes for everyone who says that anyone should be doing anything. If you don't like the way I play, get over it, plain and simple.

Darkartisan said:
Apparantly you know me?

What happens when two people play the exact same deck, one gets a horrible start, the other gets a good start. Theyre both good players. The player with the bad start wins. You think that things like that happen because they draw into things? No, they mindfight. Power sprays promote bluffing. If the creators of the tcg didn't want bluffing, they would've never made the card.

Power spray honestly is the epitome of bluffing. SP players, when they mirror, whoever uses their sprays more effectively and can decieve the opponent will usually win.

You probably think I cheat now too? From the way you word things it definately seems that way. Sorry, but bluffing is a legit strategy, so if you don't like to do it, your loss. I'm friends with whoever but if we're playing, friendship moves to the side for me, until that game is over.

Lastly, who are you to decide if I should be playing a different game? Please answer that. That goes for everyone who says that anyone should be doing anything. If you don't like the way I play, get over it, plain and simple.

AP is just trying to promote SoG, he isn't saying 'your' wrong he just against bluffing in general in the sense that 'bluffing' (note the quote there are 2 ways to bluff) where you insist on your opponent makes a given move.

If you convince your opponent to make given moves by how you play your field then feel free, but there are players who will insist you make a certain move and will keep going on about it because they know they can play around it even though you might have much better options that you can play

Darkartisan said:
Apparantly you know me?

I don't know you, but you play in South Florida. I play in Mid-Florida. I know plenty of people in your area, and IIRC all of the league leaders. Of the crowd down there, I know none would support your arguments in this thread.

Two players. Same deck. One has good start, one has bad start. You know how the player with the bad start wins? By playing smart, and drawing well. Explain how bluffing changes this match up. The only thing that a good player cares about are the cards on the table.

Power spray is not the epitome of bluffing. Power Spray is a card, that whether you actually have it in your hand or not, should be thought of whenever 3 SPs are on the opposite side of the field. Saying you have a Spray when you don't is a dubious game action, and I'd love to write the penalty up for it if I catch it at States.

Bluffing is not a legit strategy. Bluffing is a poor player trying to make up for being a poor player with his mouth. If you treat your friends with that much disrespect, I don't look forward to meeting you at States, and certainly don't look forward to playing you at Regionals or Nats.

As far as your last item: I am welcome to have my own opinion. What you do is up to you. What I think you should do is my own discretion. You play in the most competitive area in the world. Bluffing isn't going to get you anywhere at States, and if you make top cuts and try that against Steve or Jason K the rest of the table will get quite a laugh at your expense.

You're more than welcome to say what you'd like, but when it comes down to it, your actions will catch up you.

Maybe you misread what I wrote. I hear many players say "man bad start, or man bad prizes."

I will say that, but that's the farthest I will go. I'd hate for us to get off on the bad foot, because i'm sure we'll end up playing. I bluff with facial expressions, not words.

dmaster said:
SotG = Spirit of the Game

dmaster out.

*Hits himself on the head*

I knew that and can't we lock this thread I mean it is just going back and fourth nothing new can be said I can predict it

A " I think you can and I like it"

B " no that is stupid"

C " Random Q"

Me "shut the heck up"

Mod "lock"

Me "T"

T

Don't spam. :F

dmaster out.

Back