Bluffing: What's Legal and What's Not

#1weavile

I'm still alive =)
Bluffing is a big part of the pokemon TCG. It can in games in some situations. What I want to know is: Is bluffing legal and to what extent?

Of course it's fine...at least in my opinon. You can pretend you're playing a Duskull and show it to your opponent before setting it down to spook him/her into thinking you can Dark Palm something.

I don't remember where I found it (I REALLY wish I did), but I saw somewhere on an official site that making your opponent change their decision because of a bluff is not allowed. E.G. I can tell you're about to use a power and pull a card up out of my hand, obviously trying to make you think it's a power spray, and you decide not to use the power, is illegal. I know it's a bad example, but I read something like that somewhere.

But, like espeonrox said, messing with their own decisions is fine, but you can't change a decision that they've already made. I know this is all unclear and it's a fine line, but I believe it is there.

Maybe you should re-post this in the rulings forum.

I know this have been discussed before...
*Looks on the Gym*
Here: Bluffing?
I´m pretty sure that somewhere there says what´s legal and what´s not.
I myself think that bluffing (in the sense of, for example, searching a Dusknoir/Duskull to make the opponent limit his/her bench without playing it) is an strategic play of the game. I´m sure, though, about pretending to have a card you don´t directly. I´ve read that a player stares at a card in his hand (Energy) while playing SPs to make the opponent think it´s a Power Spray.

I think that there's definitely an ethical aspect to it, as in how far is too far in your mind? I've always built decks to illicit overconfidence in people (Again, Burmy... XD) or cause them to underthink a situation through searches and reveals in order to secure a win.

In all, I think bluffing and misdirection are OK, however, flat out lying about game stats, effects or abilities is entirely out of the question. Taking advantage of someone's newbishness or ignorance of a card effect is not cool.

I.E. It's OK for a player to bluff around a power spray, like in the example given in the Pokegym thread. This is a good play in my opinion, it's using the information presented within the game's system to your advantage and playing a move or two ahead of your opponent.

You can always say you have something in your hand/deck and then lie. It's sooooooo easy to do that it would be super hard to enforce it if it was illegal to do.

dmaster out.

There nothing wrong with bluffing, its just the strategic methodology of the game, witholding information about the state of play such as seeing that your opponent has made a misplay in your favour and not making him aware is illegal but it is also not bluffing. a bluff requires you to make your opponent to think you do or don't have the a specific card and using there assumption play into your hands, witholding information is lying not bluffing.

dmaster said:
You can always say you have something in your hand/deck and then lie. It's sooooooo easy to do that it would be super hard to enforce it if it was illegal to do.

dmaster out.

Would I get penalized if I said I played mewtwo X against an SP deck when I don't?

If someone catches you lying then they can call a judge, you might be able to get away with it but i wouldn't reccomend it. Lying is just wrong anyway, this game is much more fun if you play fairly.

well here is a good example:this guy in worlds got disqualified for having a duskinoir with him whenever he went to a match and everybody who played him thoght that he played duskinior and that was the translation and he didn't have it in his deck.
i dont know where along the lines of cheating that is but its just plain wrong.

#1weavile said:
Would I get penalized if I said I played mewtwo X against an SP deck when I don't?

I wouldn't believe so. Unless someone can get me a ruling that lying isn't allowed. >__________>

dmaster out.

jade89 said:
well here is a good example:this guy in worlds got disqualified for having a duskinoir with him whenever he went to a match and everybody who played him thoght that he played duskinior and that was the translation and he didn't have it in his deck.
i don't know where along the lines of cheating that is but its just plain wrong.

Your allowed to have personla luck charms around your play area. He simply could have stated it was a luckcharm.

PokeKid Brandon said:
Your allowed to have personla luck charms around your play area. He simply could have stated it was a luckcharm.
though it was a intimadating luck charm 0.o

Personally I think bluffing seems alright to me. In the instance where you draw a card that you never plan to use and show it to your opponent. Anything verbal like saying that you run a ___ deck when you don't I think is pushing it.

You can have whatever cards in your deck you want and do whatever you want with them, although verbally saying things like "I have powerspray and aren't afraid to use it" is kinda wrong.

Hehe, I like trying to get in people's heads and start playing mind games with them! I think it's fine to bluff. Hey, if it helps, lie 'til the cows come home!

The Gym was talking about if saying something like "Oh shoot" and failing your Premier Ball to fool you opponent into using the Power Spray you know they have.
though personolly I think that would be a dirty trick, it would still help you and even if it was ageinst the rule, it would be impossible to prove. Once when I was at Worlds my opponent cheated and said that I took too many prize cards. So he called the judge over and they looked and his discard pile. Sure enough, I had taken one more prize then Pokemon there, but there were 2 NM's there. Both him and myself knew what he shuffled back into his deck, but he lied to try to buy himself more time. It didn't work because he had no way of proving what he put into his deck.

That may not be the best example, but my point is that some stuff can't be proven.

I remember I used to bluff kinda back then. I was playing Gengar (fainting Spell). I had a hand of like 9 cards. But only one was a t/s/s. So I dropped that on purpose, just to ease him into using polterguiest. Is that wrong?

I believe that dropping cards is wrong and bluffing with outside cards(ie translations or a dusknoir dp sitting in your deckbox) is wrong. Anything else is fine IMO. I might tech a duskull into my flygon deck lol.

Back