'Blue Impact' / 'Red Flash' Japan's XY8 Sets, Next Set Block Titled 'XY: BREAK!'

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I was hoping we'd be getting rid of EXes, too, but since we know from product announcements that EXes are sticking around, it's likely that this new mechanic is meant to coincide along with EXes rather than replace them.

MN Chino

Aspiring Trainer
Well, the Break Evolution mechanic and the Pokemon Super mystery Dungeon logo are both gold. Maybe both will come out around the same time too.

Probably coincidental though, because they don't seem related rather than that. However, it;s funny that in PSMD, legendary pokemon are turning to stone, while in this set, there are normal pokemon advertised as gold.

I want to see if there's some similar marketing strategy like the Hoopa movie and bandit ring. We don't know that much about both PSMD and this anyways.

Serpens

Aspiring Trainer
I was hoping we'd be getting rid of EXes, too, but since we know from product announcements that EXes are sticking around, it's likely that this new mechanic is meant to coincide along with EXes rather than replace them.
Maybe the replacement will be, you know, slower than the disappearance of Lvl. X's or Primes, like releasing fewer EX's every set, and making them less and less playable.

Flying_Emolga

>Double Team
I think this Break mechanic will be slow. If it goes "Pikachu -> Raichu -> Raichu BREAK" then we are looking at two turns unless break is not a normal evolution. Rare candy is out of the question because that's only with Stage 2s. Wally is your only hope (unless grass type in which case Giant Plant Forest card would be much more suited).
I have a feeling though that it will go Pikachu -> Raichu BREAK but it will be with an item card like rare candy that break evolves the pokemon and can be done first turn and etc. That seems more viable to me but we won't know for sure until awhile from now.

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
I really don't want EXs to be out yet and am very glad they're staying. But I am more than up for diversifying the landscape.

So judging by what the description said, for example with Raichu-Break you'd need Pikachu and Raichu so maybe the Break card being that variant of Raichu can be played onto a Pikachu or straight onto the bench if a Raichu is already in play thus 'breaking' the evolution?

It was a clunky explanation but we are only translating text.

So for the Palkia/Golduck thing, Palkia-EX might have an attack or ability that can evolve water types, so it can evolve a benched Psyduck and allow you to play Golduck-Break, that's the only kind of combo that I can think of.

Rhesis

Chandelure Fan
I hope BREAK Pokémon work like that (example with Chesnaught BREAK):

1. BREAK Pokémon can use Abilitys, attacks and Ancient Traits of the card under it.
2. You can't put BREAK Pokémon onto a Pokémon that you have put or evolve in that turn.
3. You can't have 4 Chesnaught and 4 Chesnaught BREAK, you only must have 4 of both.
3. You can evolve Chesnaught BREAK from Chespin, Quilladin or Chesnaught. But think about the point 1.
4. BREAK Pokémon are BREAK Stage, not Basic, Stage 1, Stage 2 or Mega.
5. BREAK Pokémon rarity is UR but they only appears where Common Cards are, not in the Rare Cards or Reverse Cards. Sometimes 1 of the 5 commons is a BREAK Pokémon.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I myself am kinda hoping this is like Level X cards, they've always seemed really cool to me.
Who knows, maybe this is the start of evolutions getting more of a viable spot in the game? That would certainly be interesting in a format like this.

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker
1. BREAK Pokémon can use Abilitys, attacks and Ancient Traits of the card under it.

Always wanted that on BREAKs. No complaint.

2. You can't put BREAK Pokémon onto a Pokémon that you have put or evolve in that turn.

Not sure on that one. Level X's could be played immediately (though they had to be Active). It wouldn't fit the theme of 'breaking evolution past its limits' if you had to wait a turn.

3. You can't have 4 Chesnaught and 4 Chesnaught BREAK, you only must have 4 of both.

I know the Level X's had this restriction as well, but in a format where playing Evolutions is already so hard, would this really be needed? A 4-4-4 line of Chesnaught takes up 12 slots, so adding 2 or 3 Chesnaught BREAK would be extremely clunky anyway.

3. You can evolve Chesnaught BREAK from Chespin, Quilladin or Chesnaught. But think about the point 1.

Even with rule 1 in mind, this is dumb. I don't mean to offend, but this is just crazy.

5. BREAK Pokémon rarity is UR but they only appears where Common Cards are, not in the Rare Cards or Reverse Cards. Sometimes 1 of the 5 commons is a BREAK Pokémon.

Okay, something tells me you were dreaming when you wrote this.

Rhesis

Chandelure Fan
Not sure on that one. Level X's could be played immediately (though they had to be Active). It wouldn't fit the theme of 'breaking evolution past its limits' if you had to wait a turn.
"Firstly, Pokémon LV.X are treated as "Pokémon Level-Up" cards as opposed to Basic Pokémon or Evolution cards. The same rules apply as with evolution, however: a Pokémon cannot be Leveled-Up in the same turn as it is played or evolved"

That's Bulbapedia says.

Even with rule 1 in mind, this is dumb. I don't mean to offend, but this is just crazy.
Why? The "BREAK" has to be something, so why not "Break" evos like: Chespin -> Chesnaught BREAK
I have in mind, Pokémon BREAK will have their own attacks, obviously.

Okay, something tells me you were dreaming when you wrote this.
Yes i was. Because it is soooo boring "Common, common, common, common and.....OH! Another common" in eeeeeach booster. Something like that would blown your mind. Only imagine: "Common, common, common, common and....OMG! WTF! A f*****g Zoroark BREAK". It would be awesome, don't you think so?

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
Yes i was. Because it is soooo boring "Common, common, common, common and.....OH! Another common" in eeeeeach booster. Something like that would blown your mind. Only imagine: "Common, common, common, common and....OMG! WTF! A f*****g Zoroark BREAK". It would be awesome, don't you think so?

No it's broken and disproportionate. Besides Break could end up like Ancient Traits and end up across the rarities.

Hemos

The demonic Shadow Lugia/Mystical Raven Witch
Zoroark and Noivern with the BREAK mechanic... this could be a whole lot of fun :D They're two of my favorites to use in-game, so seeing how these will boost them in the TCG is gonna be interesting.

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
Think about Ace Specs, and then answer me again.

Ace Specs take the reverse slot which can just as easily be any rare. Also the fact that they're trainer cards not Pokemon makes it a completely different thing.

Last edited:

TheUltimateAbsol

Truth or Ideals? It's all Black and White to me
Keep this in mind. At most, all this poster reveals is that Break cards likely Power Up a pokemon, rather than speed up an evolution line

The Cobalt Bisharp

Aspiring Trainer
They would have to keep Ex's because they can't just ditch the idea. Plus, Blue Impact and Red Flash are based around Mega Mewtwo X Ex and Mega Mewtwo Y Ex.

I've been wanting a Noivern Ex and Zoroark Ex but I'm wondering why only Chesnaught is on the poster and not Greninja and Delphox

Last edited by a moderator:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
They would have to keep Ex's because they can't just ditch the idea. Plus, Blue Impact and Red Flash are based around Mega Mewtwo X Ex and Mega Mewtwo Y Ex.
The can ditch the idea quite easily, just like Team Flare Gear, Lv.X, ex, Legend, Prime, and the list goes on, but you're right about how xy8 won't as there are already EX inclusions revealed.