'Blue Impact' / 'Red Flash' Japan's XY8 Sets, Next Set Block Titled 'XY: BREAK!'

Luxray BREAK?!! Why not Luxray-ex! :( But Mega Mawile, wonder if it'll be Fairy or Steel? But ima wait for that Dank Mega Full Art though! <3
Hey. Luxray Break might be a better deal then Luxray EX would be. And Mawile probably won't get FA, beacause it's something along the lines of box promo.

From the sound of it, these Break Evolution cards are probably Ultra Rare or Secret Rare Stage 1/2 cards, possibly even Level X-esque functions.

I believe it might be something like pokemon SP. Use a "basic" as stage 2 and then LV'X it up! :p

Break could be an underpowered basic card for stage 1 or stage 2 pokemon. You can then put a regular stage 1 or stage 2 card on top of it depending on the pokemon. So you have two routes to the last stage evolution. So for luxray as an example;

you can use Shinx (basic) > Luxio (stage 1) > Luxray (stage 2) or...
you can use Luxray BREAK (basic) > Luxray (stage 2).

I'm starting to get really wary of this BREAK mechanic. If TCPI messes this up be making it over powered... >.> I also don't want this to be a way to keep Pokemon up with EXs. Don't make the EXs, or make them less strong, if you have to create a countermechanic to keep up with power :/Besides, we've already got EXs and Megas and Ancient Traits, not to mention Flare Gear which received its own Appendix, in this upcoming format.

I was mentioning this almost a year ago, I said it was going to get congested. Now there will be even less regular cards than ever.

Firstly now, these days you pull out less holo cards than EX cards in some boxes.
Also you have to include the eleven different types of cards (Roaring sky has one metal pokemon only).
You have EX and Mega, and their full art counter parts.
Lets not forget these mega cards also come with their very own spirit link cards.
Full art supporter cards.
You also have to include your ancient trait cards now.
Golden or secret rare trainers.

Now you will have Break cards as well.

Last edited:
Well we know two EX's from this set obviously. I do hope that M. Mewtwo EX is a fighting type. It would be nice to see spirit links for M. Venusaur, M. Blastoise and M. Charizard(s).

This could also be the set to give us M. Gyarados, M. Alakazam and M. Aerodactyl if this set really is so Red/Blue based. Have to wait and see.

Not to mention M Slowbro and M Pidgiot

Still waiting for news on Mega Salamance.
About that Luxray EX. I wonder if it will have the "Bright Look" as it's ability. Like the SP card that broke the D/P/Pl Format. I doubt it however. Lysandre is still in the format, which would make it useless.

it more than likely won't get a FA because its in a deck , not the actual set.
Or they could pull a Full-Metal Dialga :p

I'm really excited to see what these Break cards are, I hope they're some kind of Lv.X type of cards, that can be put on the regular Stage 1/2 Pokemon! Also I'm super excited that Golduck of all Pokemon are getting some love from tcpi, I think it's great that they're choosing some of the lesser popular Pokemon and making them front-runners in these decks/minisets.

Everyone discussing Break Evolution and I'm just sitting here hoping the Golduck/Palkia deck has a FA Palkia-EX in it that matches the Dialga-EX from the Metal Chain Deck...

On another note, as far as I know, TPCi has nothing to do with this, it's PCL who develops and creates the cards...

Or they could pull a Full-Metal Dialga :p

I'm really excited to see what these Break cards are, I hope they're some kind of Lv.X type of cards, that can be put on the regular Stage 1/2 Pokemon! Also I'm super excited that Golduck of all Pokemon are getting some love from tcpi, I think it's great that they're choosing some of the lesser popular Pokemon and making them front-runners in these decks/minisets.
Oooooooo that would be such a good idea!!! They better make one now!!

Break evoultion is obviously some type of mechanic to help stage 2's combat big basic ex's. So this more than likely is making " regular " cards more relevant.
Also , it would be impossible for them to start making ex's less powerful now because of all the powerful ones already in the format. Unless they made some new type of card that in fact , could combat the power of ex's.....cough cough " break evolution" lol

...interesting. I'm not really sure what to think about this, other than it seems like Break cards will be extra-powered Stage 1 or 2 cards that can better combat EX's. It actually reminds me a bit of Lv. X cards.

I hope they keep making Full Arts with textures like they currently are. I don't really want the card names to have BREAK written by them, that will be kind of ugly. But I guess if they have to to in order to keep the full art textured cards....

Also none of these cards seem to be in a set so unfortunately no full arts of Raichu, Noivern, Mawile, Aerodactyl or Golduck in XY8... :(

Very interesting...I am so curious as to what this mechanic will be and if/how much it will affect the game. Also, I wonder what "Break Evolution and Pokemon-EX combo" means exactly - is an EX required to use Break Evolution, or maybe Palkia EX has an attack that is boosted by Break Evolutions, or something else altogether? Whatever the case, it looks like there is plenty to look forward to!

Very interesting...I am so curious as to what this mechanic will be and if/how much it will affect the game. Also, I wonder what "Break Evolution and Pokemon-EX combo" means exactly - is an EX required to use Break Evolution, or maybe Palkia EX has an attack that is boosted by Break Evolutions, or something else altogether? Whatever the case, it looks like there is plenty to look forward to!

On interesting idea I saw was a Pokemon with the power of an EX. You can either evolve it manually (with the drawbacks that infers) or play it down straight away. If you evolve to it manually, your opponent only takes 1 prize for knocking it out. If you play it down straight away, they take two prizes.

Also, I wonder what "Break Evolution and Pokemon-EX combo" means exactly

Actually, it just means Golduck and Palkia will have some sort of Ability and/or attack combo (probably involving the Water-type), kinda like the Blastoise reprint in the japanese Kyurem-EX deck...

I GOT IT! its a combo right? Soooooo it will probably be something like,

If you control an ex you may lay an E break card down on your bench without the necessary previous evolutions. It would balance it out because you wouldnt be able to lay down break cards opening up with this combo rule.

So im guessing the future of evo lines in decks will be 1-1-4.

I still stand by my theory that "Break" Pokemon or whatever we will end up calling them will be evolution-optional thus 'breaking' evolution.

They can be played as the stage 1 or stage 2 cards they are, or can be placed directly on to the bench however wont count as basics. Therefore they still get boosts from Training Centre, can still be searched and placed via Evosoda, Rare Candy, Wally etc, immune to Silent Lab and Intimidating Mane. Will contribute to Powerful Friends. But can't be searched out via Fan Club and any energy attaching moves or other such that benefit basics wont apply to them.

That's what makes sense to me anyway. And obviously there'll be specially designed trainers to benefit or counter them.

Back