'Blue Impact' / 'Red Flash' Japan's XY8 Sets, Next Set Block Titled 'XY: BREAK!'

About time! I always wondered why these 2 didn't appear earlier in the XY block... But I know it would either be something like Wild Blaze & the Mega deck or 2 sub-sets, one for each form.
I'm intrigued about this Break Evolution mechanic... I think it's obvious it will be something to help evolution cards, or maybe it's a different type of evolution card... maybe even the Megas are going to be treated differently? I just hope it's not more Evolved pokémon turned into Basic cards...
Also, I'm guessing the missing special water energy will be on Blue Impact while the special fire energy will be on Red Flash... if they do continue with those... because I'm wondering if with this being a new set block, are they going to ditch other things like Ancient Traits, Spirit Link cards (if Break evolution is indeed something to speed up the evolution set-up), and whatnot?

About time! I always wondered why these 2 didn't appear earlier in the XY block... But I know it would either be something like Wild Blaze & the Mega deck or 2 sub-sets, one for each form.
I'm intrigued about this Break Evolution mechanic... I think it's obvious it will be something to help evolution cards, or maybe it's a different type of evolution card... maybe even the Megas are going to be treated differently? I just hope it's not more Evolved pokémon turned into Basic cards...
Also, I'm guessing the missing special water energy will be on Blue Impact while the special fire energy will be on Red Flash... if they do continue with those... because I'm wondering if with this being a new set block, are they going to ditch other things like Ancient Traits, Spirit Link cards (if Break evolution is indeed something to speed up the evolution set-up), and whatnot?
I don't think they would ditch ancient traits only 3 sets later!! They're relatively new.
2 things i want to stay for sure are the full arts and ancient traits haha they don't have to be ex's but they need to just keep making the full arts like they have been or I'll die. People getting me all paranoid that ex's are done for haha
it obviously should have somthing to do with quickly evolving to stage one and 2 , how?? I don't know. What would be a good machanic that builds off of delta evolution??

X-Ball 2: This attack does 40 times the number of Energy attached both to Mega MewTwo EX and your opponent's Active Pokemon.

I love how everyone's already speculating what EXes we're going to get in the new set, and I'm just sitting over here, in the corner all by myself, hoping that they're finally going to get rid of EXes in favour of bringing back Lv. Xs, or even introducing some new "these Pokémon are more powerful" mechanic. >_>

I love how everyone's already speculating what EXes we're going to get in the new set, and I'm just sitting over here, in the corner all by myself, hoping that they're finally going to get rid of EXes in favour of bringing back Lv. Xs, or even introducing some new "these Pokémon are more powerful" mechanic. >_>
Hey , they can be lvl x , EX , xy,s , abc,s or whatever else they can think of just as long as the artwork and template of the card stays the same!! If they get rid of full arts i will go straight hulk on pokémon.

Finally! I've been waiting for Mega Mewtwo cards.

Also Red/Blue? Interesting choice... came completely out of left field.

I am, like everyone else, very curious to learn more. I tend to think that Ancient Traits will not be continued (though I'd love them to keep going), similar to Ace Specs, Plasma Pokemon, Team Flare Gear, etc. One thing I like about TCG is you always have something to ponder, daydream, look forward to, etc. It's never a dull moment (except with Tyranitar EX). If these new sets are based on RBY, I wonder if we'll get a full art Professor Oak...or Impostor Professor Oak...

I like the whole Red and Blue / Fire and Water thing with M Mewtwo Ex as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Volanion is in both sets (water in one, fire in the other). But I can't imagine Pokemon without EX cards anymore. That's why I kept collecting. Red and Blue were also the colors of the X and Y logos/mascottes. So, maybe Xerneas and Yveltal will be in the set as well.

I liked the lv.X mechanic. Nobody seems to talk about primes. If they continue EX pokemon, then predicitions are:

Blue impact:
Mewtwo EX
Garchomp EX
Milotic EX

Mewtwo EX (X)
M Garchomp EX

Red Flash:
Mewtwo EX
Houndoom EX
Slurpuff EX

M Mewtwo EX (Y)
M Houndoom EX

Maybe mechanic will be similar to how baby pokemon were. You didn't need to evolve pikachu from pichu, and could play pikachu straight away. But most of those cards had an added benefit with attack or power wise if evolved from the baby pokemon.

In the new mechanic you would be able to do the same thing but with stage 1 pokemon. You could play Raichu from the start. But to get the full effect or power you maybe have to get it evolved from Pikachu. It would also save more space in your 60 card deck, not having the smallest of the evolution.

Whatever it is, I hope its not something where you will be able to devolve and get all your hp back or something like that.

I put money on it that mega gyarados is finally going to make an appearance!!!

Gyarados EX normal version and full art version is going to be awesome. Hopefully a Arcanine EX is also going to be in this set. Obviously I still wait for Poliwrath, Politoed and Suicune EX for a long time, maybe one of them as well.

As me being strictly a collector as of now and all the other collector based fans i know , if they stop making full arts and ex artwork style cards than that would seriously diminish the appeal of the cards. Unless they come up with a better design that can top EX style and full art style artwork.
I honestly hope they just keep the template and artwork the same but just change the mechanic.
Lv.x cards might have been an awesome mechanic but the EX artwork is so much better than the old Lv.x artwork and style cards

VERY INTERESTING but wow so excited <3

also I believe this is the first time they've used kanji/hiragana in a set name since Clash at the Summit (HS Triumphant)? I'm definitely a fan of that

Maybe mechanic will be similar to how baby pokemon were. You didn't need to evolve pikachu from pichu, and could play pikachu straight away. But most of those cards had an added benefit with attack or power wise if evolved from the baby pokemon.

In the new mechanic you would be able to do the same thing but with stage 1 pokemon. You could play Raichu from the start. But to get the full effect or power you maybe have to get it evolved from Pikachu. It would also save more space in your 60 card deck, not having the smallest of the evolution.

I was thinking a similar thing a card which can be used as an evolution card but as Break Pokemon, or probably a better name in the English version, it can be benched straight away. But the question there is, is it better to incentivise evolving or benching as is?

The key is in the title itself. Evolution BREAK. Breaking an evolution means removing one of its stages from the equation. For example, if you have a riachu break then you will not need a pikachu to lay it down. If you have a gengar break then you won't need a haunter and you'll be able to lay gengar break right on top of gastly without the use of rare candy.

So the evolution break rule will be - ignore the previous evolution of this card and place it on to your bench. If it is a stage 2 then ignore its stage 1 evolution and put it onto its basic. All other evolution rules still apply.

I'm probably not completely right in my assumptions but I feel it will be close to what we will end up seeing.

The key is in the title itself. Evolution BREAK. Breaking an evolution means removing one of its stages from the equation. For example, if you have a riachu break then you will not need a pikachu to lay it down. If you have a gengar break then you won't need a haunter and you'll be able to lay gengar break right on top of gastly without the use of rare candy.

So the evolution break rule will be - ignore the previous evolution of this card and place it on to your bench. If it is a stage 2 then ignore its stage 1 evolution and put it onto its basic. All other evolution rules still apply.

I'm probably not completely right in my assumptions but I feel it will be close to what we will end up seeing.
That is actually a very good hypothesis!!! I wouldn't doubt if it is some variation of what you just described!!

I could actually see this as a possibility; they could combine Megas and EXs into this one Break mechanic, calling what would've been M Mewtwo-EX as "Mewtwo Break", evolving just from regular Mewtwo, just as Raichu Break/Noivern Break would evolve from normal Raichu/Noivern

so basically, the return of Level X's with no EXs lol

Back